Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I typically play 311, Stone Temple Pilots, Pink Floyd, and a few others. I use a Roland Cube 15 along with an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus, Boss Phase 3 Phaser, and a Boss Metal Zone Distortion. The stock pickups had a pretty bad hum even on low volume. I didn't particularly enjoy either of the pickups so I switched both of the pickups out for a Dimebucker (bridge pickup) and an Alnico II Pro (neck pickup). Much like every other guitar reviewed, its fairly suitable for all types of music with the standard setup, but with my setup its geared more towards hard rock/metal.

This guitar is a perfect match for me, I did a lot of research before buying this guitar and it fit me the best for the price. I've been playing for about 2 years now and couldn't have asked for a better intermediate guitar. I also own an Alvarez guitar. If it were stolen/lost I'd be highly pissed since I put 2 of the best pickups in it. The thing I love the most about the guitar is the way it sounds now compared to before I got the new pickups put in. Its now leaps and bounds better than before. I compared it to the Epiphone Les Pauls, Fenders, etc. and I felt it was just more versatile from all those other popular guitars. The one thing I wish it did have was a neck through body instead of a bolt-on neck. The neck through design with Schecter has such a smooth transition on the C-1 artist that I wish they incorporated it into the Omen 6. The reason I'm giving this rating a 10 is because of my custom setup, not the original setup.

This guitar will withstand live playing just as well as a Gibson. All of the hardware is very durable. I replaced the strap buttons with straplocks and they work well. If I played shows I could go without a backup. The finish will stand up better than a lot of other finishes since it is a thick finish.

The guitar was put together extremely well. I was able to plug it in and tune it up and start playing. The pickup position was fine. There were no flaws with the guitar aside from the frets. I am not a fan of jumbo frets because I feel that they are too 'chunky' when transitioning or sliding up and down the neck. The frets were a little oxidized from the 15th fret to the 24th, so I polished them myself. Which made a world of difference.

The Omen 6 is a left handed 2004 with 24 Jumbo frets at a 25.5" scale. The body is made of Basswood and the neck is made of maple. The body is satin black Strat styled body. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic with two standard Schecter passive humbuckers. There is one volume knob and one tone knob with a 3-way pickup toggle Switch.