Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

The sound of it definitely surprised me. As a metalhead by heart, I appreciate a ton of bottom end clarity when distorted. It has enough low end without sounding foggy or muddy; the mids Shine through better than the stock pickups in my Ibanez or ESP guitar, and the highs are extremely clear. For stock pickups on a guyitar this price, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm playing through a Boss MT-2 and a Randall RH120. Even tuned down to drop C, no note is muddy or hard to distinguish.

As I said, I play metal mostly, with a little bit of prog, rock, and jazz thrown in. I would have bought this guitar or maybe saved for the Blackjack ATK.I have been playing for about 5 years now, and I own an Ibanez RG350M, an ESP/LTD MH-103, a Fender Strat and an ESP/LTD F-104 bass; everything (but the bass) plays through the aforementioned MT-2/Randall combo. I love the non-trem bridge and the paddle headstock; my collection is skewed towards dive bombs and pointy edges. I wish it had a maple fretboard, but since the guitar was free, whos complaining? I didn't get the chance to compare it, but after this I will definitely be in the market for a higher-end Schecter.

I can't find a reason to think this guitar won't last me awhile. I already depend on it; its been bumped against a cabinet corner, and I've seen no sign of any kind of dent or scratch. The strap buttons are real solid, more so than my Fender was when I got it. As usual, never gig w/o a backup...but I feel good about this guitar, since it is my only non-trem and its a little more dependable when it comes to staying in tune.

The action was fine right out of the box, and set just how I like it. (for a free guitar, I did pretty well lol.) I may raise the bridge p/u a smidge, but other than that no problems. The finish was clear and clean, and there were no flaws that I could find.

Let me start by saying I won this guitar from Facedown Records in a preorder contest; so its a little out of my preferences, but I'm coming around to it very quick. Anyway: it was made in Indonesia in 2008 I believe. It has 24 frets mounted on a rosewood fingerboard. Its a solid-body with an arched top in a superstrat shape. It has a glossy finish, and I won the White finish. Its a tune-o-matic type bridge with two humbucking passive stock pickups, with a volume and a tone knob with a three way selector switch. Basically what you'd expect from a >$300 guitar.