Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Price paid: A$ 250

Purchased from: Music City

I run this through my Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp and play metal music (mainly Metallica and Megadeth, with a little bit of Disturbed) and it suits it pretty well. There isn't much fuzz to be heard, unless the amp is turned up really high. The Bridge pickup has a nice crunch to it, although it is pretty one-dimensional. If this was my only guitar, I'd probably change the pickups, as I really don't like the neck pickup which is very, very bassy. Also, the tone and volume knobs might as well be switches as they have very little variety; the volume is either on or off, and the tone offers very little in terms of variety. Having said that, it's pretty solid if you're at a beginer/intermediate stage (which I was when I bought this).

For a beginer who's interested in playing metal, I'd suggest this guitar. There's very little to fuss about, although it does get a lot of dust in the pickups and under the strings. It has a decent amount of sustain, so it can handle clean tones, although it's definately better for metal. If you're a bit more experienced, and use this as your main guitar, I'd recommend investing in some new pickups, especially in the neck position. I'm probably going to stop playing with this as much, as I've nearly finished building my own guitar, but I would probably buy it again if it was stolen, just as a very reliable, solid backup. It's a good quality, value-for-money guitar, that wouldn't let you down. The only thing that it lacks is good quality pickups; as I said, they're a little one-dimensional, however, you don't really worry too much about that until you start getting into more advanced playing.

This guitar seems as if it could be thrown of a skyscraper and live to play another gig. The body is very solid, and the tuners are pretty reliable, although my low-E tuner has been getting slightly loose recently, probably due to me constantly changing between Standard and drop-D tuning. I would be pretty hesitant to use anything without a backup, but only because I have a tendancy to snap my strings too often. If I found some unbreakable strings, I wouldn't worry about a backup. One real bonus of this guitar is that it hardly ever goes out of tune; it's certainly a reliable instrument.

There was nothing wrong with the set-up; I took the guitar home and started playing it straight away. I've tinkered with the pickups a little to try and get a better sound out of them, but it doesn't make much difference. The Bridge was set up nicely, although I did raise the action slightly. All in all, there was nothing wrong with the set-up.

It's got 24X Jumbo frets, a basswood body with a maple neck and a nice rosewood fingerb board. There a two Schecter Diamond Plus Humbuckers with a three-way switch, one volume and one tone control. The tuners are made by Schecter with a 15:1 gear ratio, and the Bridge is a tune-o-matic style with a thru-body tailpeice. My one has the electric blue finish. A good, solid setup, with nothing too fancy or spectacular.

danvwman
    I had a early one. Great guitar for the money,got it used for$200...used it for 3 years stock and sold it for $100 to a good buddy and he plays in Greatful Dead cover bands.....he loves it. With my rig it nailed Megadeth, Slayer, Ratt and Dokken tones...actually did Dokken so well I actually miss it.
    ninjagayden777
    joshuanorris wrote: stratct wrote: as said above, that "all these positive reviews" are from beginners, I will have to disagree. I am a guitarist that has been playing for a number of years and I have owned many difference guitars in the past including two Les Paul's and a fender stratocaster an ibanez rg,and played many other guitars including PRS, music man,Gibson, and Fender. and my omen 6 will blow every single company away. as far as the sound goes, hehe.... my Schecter diamond plus pickups sound BETTER than my genuine Seymour dunkins. with that said maybe "all these positive reviews" are coming from more experienced players than you. after all its not about how long you have bean playing guitar its about HOW GOOD you are, am I right? not really mate, if you've been playing for ages and have played and owned lots of different types of guitars, then i think your opinion counts a lot more than some 13 year old (no matter how good he/she is) that received this as their first guitar. But true, slap on a PRS or Gibson logo on this and it would sell for over a grand, but it still doesn't make it great. Good for people starting out, good for modding....but not good if you wanna sound like Slayer or Pantera. Period.
    Not in my experience dude. I chain this through a DigiTech Hardware Metal pedal, and I can get almost perfect Slayer tone :3 All in all one of the best starter guitars out there. I've had mine for close to 4 years now and I haven't had a single problem with it (aside from cleaning the finish regularly)