Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Purchased from: Guitar Center Harrisburg, PA

Most people see Schecter and assume this thing is pure metal. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally throw it down to drop C or drop C# and have some fun, but for me this guitar is pure blues. I use it with a Marshall Class 5, and usually a Boss ME-70 multi-effects pedal for convenience. This guitar barely buzzes at all, it might START to buzz on the setting I use for the heaviest of my music (Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, etc.), but on blues and rock settings it's all but silent. That is, until the playing starts. The pickups are this guitar are some of the hottest I've seen. These things ROAR. The sound quality is pretty good as well. You could swap them out and maybe get a bit fuller of a sound from a more expensive pickup, but for my purposes it suits very well. To get the best possible sound, I'd suggest rolling off the tone knob to about 7. For playing live, I use this, a bit rolled off on the volume, and the middle setting on the selector switch. This gives a perfect mix between the cutting tones of the bridge pickup and the muddiness of the neck pickup. This is perfect for rock or blues. For metal, the bridge pickup is amazing. For jazz or clean sounds, you wont find anything better than the neck pickup on this guitar for the price range.

This guitar can do it all. Blues, rock, metal, even jazz. I also own a Epiphone Dot, and I prefer this guitar by far. I would even take it time and time again over my buddy's Les Paul that I occasionally play on. I love everything about this guitar. The look, the sound, and most of all the feel. The neck is just perfect. I'm soon building a guitar, and I'm buying another one of these used just so I can steal the neck for my own guitar. That's how good it is. If it were stolen, I would track down whoever took it and take it right back. This guitar is my baby, it's not going anywhere. The only thing I wish it had is coil tapping, like most of Schecter's more expensive guitars. That being said, you get what you pay for. For the price of this little gem, you cannot go wrong.

This guitar will go to hell and back and still sound the same. It withstands playing live at least once a week. The hardware is solid, and the only problem I've found is the previous owner really screwed up the top strap button. I removed it, filled the hole, then re-drilled and replaced it. It withstands whatever I can throw at it. One complaint I do have is that the finish can get a bit shiny from the oil on your hands, however if you take some fine steel wool over it, everything is fixed. Some things could be better, but the parts that make it work (tuners, pickups, electronics) are rock solid.

I really can't say how this guitar is set up from the factory, as I purchased it used. What I can say is that this guitar has the POTENTIAL to be the best feeling guitar you've ever owned. Nice thin neck, and the smoothest feeling on any guitar I've ever played. This thing is fast. I actually prefer the feeling of this guitar over that of the top Gibson and Fenders on the marker today. I personally have it set up for drop C# tuning, and play it a half step down, I just prefer the low E to be super high for the occasional time I do drop down. That being said this guitar can handle anything from drop Bb to standard. Anything below drop C becomes uncomfortable, but if you're playing that low, just get a Baritone guitar!

I'm fairly sure my guitar is a 2008 model, I got it used from the Guitar Center in Harrisburg, PA. This guitar has 24 frets and a 25 1/2 inch scale, which is perfect for drop tunings, or just someone with big hands. Rosewood fret board, and a nice satin walnut finish. The body style is obviously that of a Super-Strat, but the carved top (like that of a Les Paul or SG) made it really stand out to me. There's a very simple tune-o-matic bridge on the guitar; 6 string saddles and then the strings go right through the body. You have 2 humbucker pickups and a volume and tone control, with the usual 3 way selector switch. This guitar is bare bones. No fancy stuff here, it just means business. For someone on a budget, that means a perfect guitar.

kmcharger21
    I bought my omen years ago when i was just getting advanced and i still play it every day. Plays everything fingerstyle country to the heaviest of heavy metal. I love it.