Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Price paid: € 270

Purchased from: Music Shop, Portugal

Well, let's start with the gear that I use which are a Line 6 Spider III Amplifier and a Boss ME-20 Multi-effects Pedal. I have an Ibanez GRG270B BLK and the pedal was configured to play with Ibanez, the only thing I had to do was changing the saturation of the song which was too intense for the guitar. Means that the pickups are great. The sound is very metal! I mean literally. I usually play Dream Theater, Megadeth, Metallica and Symphony X and let me say that this guitar is very flexible. When I picked up the guitar and played the song "On The Backs Of Angels" and I found out that the sound is very similar. The variety is amazing, I've also played Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and the sound was brutal. I couldn't believe. The notes are very clear even with overdrive on it and the clean sound is really smooth and perfect for single note type of riffs... If you play Progressive Metal or Metal, or even Dark Metal this is a guitar that you can add to your list of accessible guitars! It doesn't sound like a guitar for beginners at all, but, judge from yourselves, try it in a store and you'll see.

Well, unlike some said in here, I totally disagree of this being a guitar for beginners it ain't fair for this magnificent instrument. The least you can classify this guitar is for a intermediate player. The neck is really cool and smooth makes soloing very easy and accurate, the pickups are perfect for metal, I'm not saying that are not perfect for other music styles but I play metal, so... The conclusion that I get from this guitar is this: if you like to hear a clean sound out of the guitar and a sustained sound, this guitar for the price paid is very good, or ideal. I love the design of the guitar, the line around the body is really touchy and the head is really cool. As I said, I play Dream Theater and Megadeth and Metallica, so if you purchase a guitar like this you would emulate any of their guitars depending of what kinda effects and amps you use of course... I compare this to my Ibanez and the only thing that I get is that this guitar is much more cleaner than Ibanez, and the floyd (for me it ain't much of a must-have) may make a difference for the ones who love the Floyd Rose. Otherwise, comparing to my Ibanez GRG270B, the Schecter Omen-6 is way better that Ibanez. Although, with an update on the pickups by choosing the Crunch Lab and the Liquifier from DiMarzio, you'll get yourselves a top/must-have guitar... Resuming the prices 270 the guitar; 160 Crunch Lab and Liquifier from DiMarzio and you'll have a Top Guitar comparing to other guitars like ESP's Signature Models or Ibanez Siganture Models, or whatever. Overall, great Guitar, great Price!

I'm sure that like I said before, with an update on the pickups this guitar would be awesome to play anytime, anywhere. Like any other guitar you'll just have to clean it up and keep it safe in a case or so and prevent weather changes. That's pretty much it.

Well in terms of set-up, there's not much to say. It's a simple guitar, therefor, its very easy to change strings and give a real fast set-up. The wood is very cool, it definitely seems like a Mahogany Body, judging by the durability of the notes. The pick-ups are very cool, it has a crunchy sound on the bridge pickups, perfect for rhythms, and the middle position which includes the connection of the bridge and the neck pickups is perfect for clean sounds, and the neck pickup are perfect for solos and arpeggios... The Pick Selector is very, very cool, it ain't noisy at all, in fact I didn't notice the sound of the pick selector running all positions fast. If you can update this guitar by putting the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and the Liquifier you will found yourselves with a copy of Music Man Earnie Ball JP6. But before you update the guitar enjoy the pickups from Schecter.

- Construction: Bolt-On - Body: Basswood - Neck: Maple - Finger Board: Rosewood - Frets: 24X Jumbo - Inlay: Pearloid "Semi-Goth" - Bindings: Ivory (BLK) or Black (WHT, WSN) - Tuners: Schecter - Pickups: Schecter Diamond Plus (Omen) - Electronics: Vol/Tone/3-way switch - Bridge: TOM w/Thru-Body - Scale: 25.5" - Hardware: Black Chrome - Color: Black (BLK)

MojoBlues007
    Who cares where it was made, or what it costs, this is really a good guitar, regardless of price. Mine was 124.50 during a big Guitar Center sale. After I cleaned it up and set it up right, I knew I had a winner on my hands. Good for all styles, dependable, often mistaken for a very expensive guitar. I love mine.
    gay4slipknot
    I got mine the other week and i've just finished modding it and setting it up, put in a bkp pup in the bridge and a crappy epiphone off ebay in the neck just because I wanted a covered pickup (I say crappy but it sounds great, its just cheap). Tone wise it outshines my hellraiser with EMGs, and paying a tenth of the price i did for my les paul it doesn't sound far behind that, I'd just like to get a real burstbucker for the neck and it will probably be my main gigging guitar.
    WillWall
    I purchased this used from a pawn shop and it was missing one of the furrels in the body. It still plays but there was a gouge left in the body by the string. I wanted to fix this, but the Schecter tech support doesn't sell the ferrules or individual parts. Now I can't find the exact one to replace it. Also the Tech guys are dicks.
    Realityburn
    I had one of the Walnut Satin Omen 6s. I was lucky enough to get one of the 2004 Korean models, so it was somewhat better than the newer Chinese ones. I sold it a couple years ago, and I regret it now. Very good guitar for the price you pay for it. I'd put it up against any other guitar out there in the $300 price range and have every expectation that it would hold its own in any comparison you care to make.
    Realityburn
    Incidentally, yes you can get this guitar in white now. You couldn't before, it's a recent addition to the lineup.
    jeffo46
    I just got one of these a few days ago ,which is a Indonesian made model in a lovely Blue finish. I play mostly Blues and after giving it a setup to my personal specs , I've discovered that this baby can definitely play my genre of music and isn't just limited to Metal .
    hom789
    I'm making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. This is what I do, Red97dotcom