Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Purchased from: Rich Tone Music

This guitar was made in Korea. It has 24 jumbo frets and a slim profile neck. I have mine in a black gloss finish. It is a classic double cutaway design with a string-thru body bridge, one tone and one volume control, two humbuckers and semi goth fret inlays. It doesn't come with any accessories but I would rather choose my own which I know and trust. It is available in gloss black and gloss white as well as walnut satin and for an extra £40 or so pounds you can get a flamed top. I am not 100% sure about the more technical details but I am sure some of the other reviews will go into further detail about the hardware, wood and electronics.

Originally I had been looking at an Epiphone SG and assumed that the Omen 6 would be a guitar that could only do metal. When I tried it however, I found it to be very versatile and with the right amp settings it would also suit some of the more indie style covers our band do. The sustain from the bridge is awesome and the guitar has awesome tone. The volume control I'd great although the tone control could do with a little more options. The pickups were surprisingly good and deliver I wide variety of tones although can be a bit muddy and unclear at times. For a more picky guitarist they could be changed but for me they are fine.

The guitar was in perfect condition and set up very well. When I bought it it already had very nice feeling high quality strings although whether or not they were changed at the shop I don't know. The neck was one of the main reasons I bought the guitar as it is slim and very comfortable for rock, metal and indie styles! The knobs, tuners and bridge piece were all working and of very high quality. I particularly like the style of the knobs (with the grips on the side) and the tuners are very smooth and comfortable to use as well as keeping the guitar in tune very well.

I have only gigged this guitar two or three times and it hasn't been banged two much but schecter have a reputation for being very reliable and I am yet to have any problems. I use a dunlop strap and haven't felt the need to use strap locks. However if you were planning on throwing it around a bit more then that might be an idea. Some of the issues I have experienced in the past with other guitars such as faulty connections, poor strap buttons or uncomfortable weight have never been a problem with this guitar and it is an ideal guitar to use stood up or sat down.

I have currently been playing guitar for 4 and a half years and this is my third electric guitar. I found it to be of considerably better quality than the Epiphones I tried for a similar price and it is up there with Fender and Gibson quality t a fraction of a price. I play a wide range of indie to metal and this guitar suits all styles. If your local store stocks Schecter guitars then I urge you to try one no matter what model and you will be stunned at the increase in quality, tone and value for money in comparison to other brands!