Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

It has 24 frets, which is nice. Has a nice neck, my favorite of all me guitars. Its a string-thru body bridge with two humbuckers, a volume control, and a tone control. I have had problems multiple times with the humbuckers' screws coming out, and I have needed to replace each screw at least once. The only problem (and it is a major one) is that is does not have a whammy bar. Mine came with a Gator Hard Case that I've used for many other things other than just the guitar. It has held up perfectly, other than one dented raised peg that I accidentally smashed on a car door.

It fits my music style perfectly, or rather, my music style molded into what I could do on this guitar. I can play shredder songs on it, and the 24 frets really opens up what I can do up there. When I play finger picking songs like "Blackbird," it is very smooth. I can easily pull all the harmonics I need to keep up with Muse and Joe Satriani. The action is adjustable, so I can get those crazy licks up high, and then on Sunday play with my church band. We don't have a bassist, so I play the bass part and a guitar part on this guitar, and it works very well. I use the tone UP on my guitar and turn the bass up on the amp and switch to my front pickup, and my low notes are high in bass, and my high notes ring out with a nice sound. I like the distortion i can get out of it, but if you are heavy into distortion, you may not like it and will need a pedal, but if you are heavy into distortion, you should have a distortion pedal anyways. The guitar is silent when not in use.

There was nothing wrong with the guitar! Which was great because I've had some mishaps happen before. The action may not have been perfect when I first got the guitar, but it is easily adjustable. So much so, that I adjust it for individual songs. The pickups were fine, but the screws came undone a few times over the years. It was a small pain, but easily fixed. Now that is is so severely used, the Volume knob turns all the way around, but I can tell by a tight spot where the 1 is and where the 10 is.

This guitar WILL NOT survive a good stage bash... as if any guitar could. The guitar has lasted me 6 years so far as my primary guitar. I have taken it on multiple trips, vacations, and countless performances. I have even taken it on campouts with a mini amp. I've had strap buttons break off on other guitars, but the ones on this guitar haven't even wiggled in the 6 years. It has wear on the edges where the finished is chipped from it being dropped, but that is not the guitar's fault. I depend on it almost weekly with out a back up.

I play pretty much all types of music: classical, metal, classic rock, new age, Spanish, church music, weird stuff that Tom Morello does, and I've recently experimented with Arabic style scales. This guitar follows me through my journey and has not slowed me down one bit. If the guitar was stolen, I would probably buy an Omen-7 and try out the seven string. I might try to find something similar but with a whammy bar. I've never had a tuning problem; the guitar seems easy to tune. I do wish it had a Whammy bar.