Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Purchased from: Ebay

This guitar was manufactured in 2013 in Indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets, a 25.5" scale length, rosewood fingerboard on a maple bolt on neck. The body is a super strat style featuring a carve, painted a very subtle off-white colour referred to as "vintage white." The body features a 1 ply black binding. The guitar features a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a string-thru body configuration. The tuners are Schecter branded non-locking tuners. The guitar features 2 passive Schecter Diamond Plus humbuckers with 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3 way switch. The hardware is a black chrome colour.

I typically play metalcore, more in the vein of Converge or The Dillinger Escape Plan than more "modern" bands. I predominantly play through a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 Combo, occasionally adding in a Boss ML-2 Metalcore with the gain all the way down if I want a ridiculously over-saturated tone. I've also played this guitar as part of a school band that covered rock and pop hits from artists such as INXS and Cyndi Lauper. When playing with the band I mostly played through the schools Roland Cube. This guitar managed to produce all of the required sounds to an acceptable standard, with my music teacher remarking on how easily I was able to produce a range of tones. That said, it is definitely a rock and metal oriented guitar and as such produces metal tones much more powerfully. The bridge pickup seems to have a very bright and mid range heavy tone, though this may be due to the amp. It can unfortunately be a tad too hot, causing cleans too become slightly pushed if the volume is not rolled off. The neck pickup has a fair bit less output and doesn't push the amp as hard and has a much warmer tone, which is great for smooth leads.

The guitar was set up very well at the factory, with a very low action and nearly perfectly intonated. The pickups were set at a height that was good enough that I haven't felt the need to adjust them. There is a tiny blemish in the paint around a bridge post though whether this was from manufacturing, shipping or me I am unsure. The only other thing of note would be the volume knob that loosened off, though this only occurred almost a year into use. The frets seem to be leveled well, the nut is cut well, all the hardware besides the volume knob is secure and everything looks right.

I've had this guitar a little under two years and it's survived countless drops, bumps and general abuse without any damage that has affected playability or sound. The hardware all seems very durable with no damage accumulated over the time I've owned it, however the finish on the left side of the bridge has begun to wear down and the volume knob came loose and would fall off, though this was an easy fix. The strap buttons seem like they would last forever. The rest of the finish of the guitar seems quite durable, with only minimal scratching on the back near the neck plate, from my stand. There are two small chips out of the paint on the headstock from the guitar falling, though no where else. The bridge pickup seems to drop out randomly, losing most of it's volume. After having a look inside and not finding anything of fault in the wiring I am assuming the pickup is faulty, though it does not fail frequently enough to justify replacing the pickup as of yet.  I would definitely gig with this guitar without a backup, if I had replaced the bridge pickup and had double checked all of the other wiring.

I play predominantly metalcore which this guitar manages to sound and feel very good for. I've been playing for around 5 years on and off. My first guitar was a cheap Strat ripoff that was utter garbage. If this guitar were lost or stolen I would consider buying another, though if I could I would buy something a little more high end. I personally don't like the control cavity cover as it is difficult to take off, though this is only a small issue. I can't think of anything I'd add to improve this guitar because it already has all it needs in my opinion.

chewy1297
    I had an SG, nothing special, but still an SG. When I got the Omen-6, everything i was doing on my SG, I could do on my Schecter with a little pedal or my Valvetronix VOX. I also have a JS Series Ibanez, but my Schecter was only a little below it in quality, and I didn't have to worry about getting a scratch on it. I've taken my Schecter with me on every trip I go on, down to Peru, Miami, Mexico, Virginia, California, Canada and when i Lived in Alaska. That guitar has seen most of the Western Hemisphere. It plays perfect, and i have yet to find one thing i wish it did or have. Yeah, no whammy bar, but the only think i use those for is to get in the way of my hand all the time. And having a no whammy tremolo, it lays flatter to the guitar which I like. Having a beat-up-able guitar that plays perfectly without complaint is a valuble guitar indeed. I dont see myself ever gettign rid of my Schecter, but I did give my SG away. I never used it. My Schecter ate up everything I used my SG for. Great guitar. buy it as your first, buy it as your last.
    Blackdogxx
    I spotted one in eBay at a pawn shop in the US and took a chance on the photos and at $150 to my door, I figured that with EMG HZ pickups it might be OK. It is. A few very small dents and that is all. Black, headstock is perfect and the EMGs are quite good clean into a Princeton Reverb. So they are versatile and I don't play 'metal'. Grover style tuners are good enough and the guitar is from China with a nice feeling neck, much like the cheaper Jacksons from Indonesia. Scarf jointed neck shaft. V, T, 3-way switch and that is it. Glossy black and at $150 delivered, very hard to beat for a versatile guitar. Nuts slots needed to be deepened a tad and fret ends smoothed at corners and that is about it ! A real value type all purpose guitar.