Omen-7 review by Schecter

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Schecter: Omen-7

Purchased from: Thomann

I love playing Korn and Deftones and it suits those very well. Although the pickups can be muddy playing chords, expecially low end power chords, one note groove riffs work a treat. I used my Vox AD 30VT on a low gain setting with plenty of treble and middle to compensate for the low end sludge. It can be a little noisy but for that price, it's to be expected. You have to raise all the settings to increase the tonal quality, which can in turn create a little feedback. The brightness comes from when you activate the single coil option in the pickups. It then becomes sharp and evil. Because of this option there is obviously plenty of tonal options. This is where this guitar shines, the more you mess around with the tones, the more you realise how diverse it is, the more you begin to like it. But like I mentioned, the tone can become mushy and slurd even when you play high up on the fretboard which detracts from the great looks and tonal variety.

I play all alternative heavy metal and soft rock like Strokes and Interpol but also love Blues and Jazz. It suits Korn one string riffs but it doesn't cut Deftones or lead playing very well due to its thick and noisy pickups. I own far superior gear to this, but this is not as expensive as other instruments I own. I wished I asked about the neck profile and quality first because pickups can be changed, but the neck is a different story I am not to well informed on. I would buy a different guitar, I don't mind paying the extra cash for the corresponding improved neck and sound. I love the brittle and biting sound of the single coils when you hit those low strings with power, it's very punkish and contains the attitude of a true axeman! Apart from that there is nothing I can say concerning the sound that impresses me very much. Either sending it back or replacing the pickups is my choice! Nonetheless it's pretty good, worth the money I hope and looks the business!

I have yet to play this guitar Live, but I would not trust it like my Maverick or Epiphone. The hardware seems to be quite sturdy and the tone and volume pots, along with the pickup selector, are very strong in their hollowed out position. The strap buttons seem to do the job as well, the strap seems very tight in its place. I can't depend on a guitar that has so many flaws, I just don't have that kind of personality. By the looks of it, the finish will not last as the veneer is already peeling off.

The action was too low I'm afraid and created enormous fret buzz, particularly on the lower strings. Even after raising it at the bridge, I realised that the problem was in the neck itself and I have no experience in altering necks so I will have to look it up and practise first. The pickups, as I have said, are not the best but it could be nothing to do with the position of them, I have no idea. There were many flaws in the finish, both on the back and front. The plastic coating on the pickups became wedged in the bracket holding the coils and will not come out. The Veneer had a large blemish in it and had already began to peel off even more on the surface. This is a serious flaw and will require either sending back or fixing professionaly. The cream binding doesn't seem to have any flaws or niches and the same goes for the fretboard which seems to be adequate.

Although I am unaware what year it was made in, I know it's fairly recent. It has 24 medium jumbo frets and 25 1/4 inch scale neck to compensate for the lower tunings. It has a laminated top made of Figured Maple and the body is made from Basswood while the finger board is made of Rosewood placed on top of a Maple neck. It has Vector Inlays which look spiffing in my eyes. The bridge is a TOM bridge and has a string thru body. The pickups are two Schecter Alnico Humbuckers. It has a Strat style body shape but I guess you would of checked the picture out by now. It has a volume and tone pot with a three way selector Switch. The nifty little thing about the tone pot is the option to pull it up which disengages the humbuckers and reverses into single coils. A great little edition if you ask me!

IROn 5L1nKY
    I'm not sure if I've had the thing long enough to do a professional review of it, but I sure do love it for the little amount of time I've had to play it. I nearly stole the thing at $200 and since it's my first "REAL" guitar (moving up from a $50 single pickup Les Paul made by some company called Maestro and purchased from wal mart) I'm absolutely loving the tonal improvement that I see in it as well as the expanded string ability. I can't wait to try out some of Trivium's new songs on this!!!!
    timmymaines
    wow weere do you dudes get your guitars cuz i never wannago there i have this guitar the most i seen it for was 350 the least i seen it was 300 and from what i read you people paid anywhere from 400 - 700 come one and then you bithc cuz no whammy for that much you could of got an ibanez 7string that has a whammy and more verstyle
    lethaldosage45
    I own the Loomis and an Omen7 with a JB and JAzz pickups. The Omen7 isn't that bad of a guitar when put up against the best 7 string schecter has to offer. The scale changes the playability, but it still has a great feel for 7 string noobs.
    Myx4o
    I need this guitar! And I want it NOW! The figured maple top version is just beautiful.
    ScoutPilfer
    I got this and a hardcase for $320 CND. Beautiful guitar, I admit the fret buzz is a tad annoying and the p/u's are a tad muddy (not too bad though, very playable) but for that price it's a greeeat deal. Even the neck was set real nice. Flipping amazing guitar.