Omen-7 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-7

Purchased from: Aire Valley Guitars

Sound wise on the bridge pickup it's very untamed at first and takes a bit of tweaking via the amp to get the guitar sounding great, I basically whack up the treble and give it lots of bass and cut out the mid range (I hate distorted mids) so I get a good djenty yet beefy tone from it which is what I would expect from the basswood body, Clean it's nice and snappy with plenty of bite but the lower register lacks body so I did a bit of tweaking on my amps behalf and boosted the bass and mids slightly and that fixed the problem, on the neck pickup which I always use either slightly distorted or clean it has a woody, hollow sort of tone which in weird way I kind of like it's great for jazz and softer deftones style stuff. I play metal no doubt but I also love jazz and this guitar delivers a bang for your buck (or pound in my case)and literally with the bottom string as a heavy gauge 62 this reached G# easily and lower to F# with ease thanks to the extra scale length.

I play most styles of metal and jazz and I like it especially seen as it is a budget seven string and it's got a little something special about it and trust me I played the same one and it feels different, I have played on an Ibanez RG7321 and an ESP ltd SC 207 feel wise it feels like the ltd, sound wise totally different, it definitely is up with those two guitars, it's a great guitar I'd recommend it to anyone, if it were stolen or lost I would buy it again along with the new Omen 8 model for 2011 both of these guitars are complete steals.

It is as hard as rock I bashed a little once but no damage at all occured until I saw the wall (oops..) the hardware is nickel plated steel so it's tough stuff the nickel would probably be prone to scratching though and the strap buttons were tight, I haven't gigged with it yet but I believe it would do well especially seen as it is my first seven and the finish would definitely put up with sweat and other abuse.

The neck on this guitar isn't small at all it's rather wide for a seven string but that adds to the magic of it, I like to have a challenge playing a guitar and it's a challenge for my small fingers but it's really flat so it's easy to get around on. The guitar was set up fine apart from the B string it was a tad too low and created a tiny amount of fret buzz which was easily remedied without sacrificing playing comfort, the finish on the neck was smooth and easily playable, the bridge was fine and so were the tuners and controls, no loose hardware or anything just wonderful.

I'm guessing that it was probably made in Indonesia, it is pretty much brand new I checked the serial number and it matches up with a late 2010 model basically tweaked slightly pickup wise and logo wise. It has 24 nickel frets, 26.5" scale, 2 passive Schecter stock humbuckers, the bridge is a Standard string thru body design, 7 strings, the nut is a graph tech tusq and a Stratocaster shape body and the body is made of basswood, the neck is made of maple and the fret board is made of rosewood, the neck is a bolt on and it is sloped on the bolts for easy access to the upper frets, so it's pretty simple stuff that make up this nice guitar plus I got a free gigbag with it too cause I'm friends with the owner hehe.

Kortez3000
    I own this guitar, I like it but you can't drop tune with it or even tune down a half step with it because of the intonation limits on the low B string. Again its a pretty decent guitar but I wouldn't recommend it for all you Drop A'ers out there.