Omen-7 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-7

Price paid: € 100

I mainly use seven strings for modern to extreme metal, and this guitar seems made for this kind of music. Yet, as with most entry level instruments, the factory made pickups tend to be a bit muddy which on a seven string can cause some trouble in clarity with powerchords and it also felt a bit lifeless with the cleans. Another problem I noticed with the pickups was that unlike other similar ones (In the past I played a few Ibanez Standard RG7 and a BC Rich Warlock 7 with passive factory pups) there was a huge level gap between the clean and distorted presets I have on my Pod XT live. However once I swaped these pickups with some Duncan Blackouts the guitar did pretty well, so if you plan to buy this one keep in mind you should also start looking around for the best replacement pickup for the kind of sound you are going for. Besides that the guitar sounds pretty good acousticaly, even compared to my main recording ESP Carpenter seven string.

Overall I'd say this guitar is a winner, for it's price and considering how easy it is to find used ones around this is a perfect starting point for anyone looking to try a seven string without spending much. I'd definitely look for a used one if this got stolen, even if I hope Schecter will eventually consider making a better neck joint or maybe use some EMG shaped factory pickups as it does with the new Omen 8 string.

As I said this is my live guitar, which I bought just because my two high quality seven strings almost got stolen during a tour and I'd rather lose a cheap one rather than one of those. After two years of Standard to heavy live show abuse I must admit I'm impressed by it, the finish still looks good and keeps the tuning pretty well something I didn't expect given it's price and specs. Considering it only required a pickup change i'd say it's a pretty good piece of equipment.

I won't comment on the initial set-up since I got from a friend and I can rely only on his comments, which where positive. The only thing I can say here and prompts me to give it a 6 is the neck joint which is just a square block and if you slide your hand down to reach the higher frets you'll surely slam it there, considering I saw something more ergonomicaly sculpted in some equaly priced Squiers and Ibanez guitars I feel it's quite a shortcoming on an otherwise perfect design.

This Omen 7 is Korean made seven string guitar, mid 00's from what I know, featuring a PRS reminiscing basswood body, a 24 fret rosewood neck, with a string through body bridge, brand made passive pickups and tuners, a single volume and single tone control and three way pickup toggle switch. I bought it from a friend so I don't know if it comes with a gigbag or any tools. Pretty much it fits the Standard entry level metal guitar profile: basic yet with the right features to make it a decent starting point for anyone looking for a useful instrument at a bargain price.

sic_riffs
    I would also like to add to my review, the Omen 7's are not made in Korea anymore, They are infact made in Indonesia, the build quality even though Korean guitars are supposedly better built, is actually better built than the Korean made ones (I tried one and it sucked).