Omen-7 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-7

I change this guitar up pretty often, but I've found a set up that works. I have a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge. The neck pickup is dummied out. I'm using a push/pull pot for a volume control and phase switch, a mini toggle as coil split, and a nice obnoxious automotive nitrous switch for a kill switch. Believe it or not, I can pull off almost anything using this. I mainly use it for experimental stuff, and tuning changes frequently. I've used Dropped C with a high G, standard 7 string tuning, half step down. It currently sits in E standard with another high string as an Eb. Everything has come out great, and I've been able to make it usable in any situation. The stock neck pickup was extremely muddy, almost unusable. I cannot remember how the stock bridge sounded, but if you know how to properly use an X2N, I really think this guitar can do just about any style with the mods I've done. Also, I installed a Sperzel D-Thing Locking Tuner, which helps with the frequent changes.

I play modern pop for my school's pep band and heavy metal in my personal bands. This guitar has been used for both, and provided good results. If lost or stolen, the most devastating part would be all the work I put into it, but due to the relative bad resale value and durability, I can get a used one in better condition for cheap. I love how basic is was stock, which made it easy to modify. The heavy hitting combination of slim cut away and chucky neck heel hinders this guitar a lot though. After a years worth of roughness, traveling, and heavy modification, on top of being used, I'm impressed at how this guitar has held up, and this guitar lead me to getting a Schecter for my first 8 string because of the quality.

I've beaten this guitar to hell since I've got it. At my most recent show, I used this guitar the whole time. Water and sweat poured down everything, still in tact. It's been slammed, dropped, and kept in an unfinished garage through last winter. I'm pretty sure this guitar can survive a nuclear holocaust. Strap buttons have been long replaced with DiMarzio Clip-Locks. During a drum-line practice, I was walking around with it strapped to my back. The screw fell out for the Clip, guitar went crashing down control cavity first. No damage done except I had to fill in where the strap screwed in a little. Didn't even go out of tune. I also used this for the whole drum-line season and it has held up through travel from mountains to seaside from December to May with no adjustments needed.

When I got this, there was a grounding problem. Easy fix. The action was a bit high to my tastes, and now it has the lowest action of my 12 guitars with out any fret buzz. Neck has remained straight. Not applied to stock, but sometimes the killswitch I've put on will malfunction and will always stay on. When purchased, there was a whole in the fingerboard, but it hasn't affected playability. I didn't like that the neck was finished over with Poly, so I sanded it off. Much better to my standards after. I'm not fond of the brick-like neck heel. The last downside is that I have huge hands and the cut away isn't deep, so combined with the neck heel, I have troubles getting to higher frets frequently.

Unknown year, South-Korean made, I got this Schecter as my second 7 string guitar last year. It has since become my main work horse. It has a nice, wide 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, arch-top basswood body, metallic blue finish that breaks necks, string-thru body with tune-o-matic bridge, and a 26.5 inch scale. It initially had 2 humbuckers, a 3-way switch, a volume, and a tone control, which has all long since changed.