Omen-7 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-7

Price paid: € 320

Purchased from: Musikverkstan (Goteborg)

I am a big time digger of Meshuggah, Textures, Dream Theater and Gojira. And always wanted to play and learn their songs. And the other guitar I have is a Jackson PS4 Performer with Floyd Rose and I wish to keep standard tuning on it, and wanted a second guitar to try tabs of other bands, and 7 strings and fixed tail bridge makes the job easy. And therefore I wanted to buy a not so expensive 7 string guitar just for practice sake. And this guitar seemed to be a good choice. I tried this guitar on a Blackstar Amp in the shop where it sounded pretty decent. But when I brought it home and plugged it into my Behringer 15 watt amp, well sound wasn't impressive. After few weeks I gave up on that stock bridge pickup, replaced it with DiMarzio Blaze 7. Sound wise (after the pickup change)I got no complaints. Sounds pretty decent. It can easily deliver Gojira "Toxic Garbage Island" type sound. I got pretty busy with lot of things in my life after buying this guitar, so I haven't honestly spent a good amount of time in exploring this guitar. A few months back I found some tabs of Meshuggah "Catch 33" album, so I was playing em on it. And if you don't know the songs from that album has guitars tuned down to F#. And I was able to play them on this. So that was pretty good. But yeah the strings had so less tension in them that you cannot palm mute on that low tuning, at least on this guitar. Also on such low tunings the 7th strings tunning doesn't holds that good. And the guitar acoustically sounds decent. After installing DiMarzio Blaze 7, I got no complaints about sound. But the stock pickups were quite muddy and noisy too. Not to the extreme annoying level though. And also had this feeling that there is something lacking. But compared to the pickups on Ibanez RGA7 the stock pickups on Omen 7 win hands down. And the ratting sound wise after pickup exchange will be 9-10.

I play progressive metal, and honestly speaking I have never managed to connect with this guitar so well, that is because I have two other 6 string guitars which I feel very comfortable with. I pick up this guitar every now and then in attempt to play some doom metalish stuff, which sounds good on it. The main reason I don't play it much is that it is a totally different instrument its not like a 6 string guitar with one extra string, I have to practice a while to get used to it. Not that its a bad guitar, it is most likely because of my inexperience with 7 strings. The fat neck and a bit too closely placed strings are the biggest hindrance for me. I have been playing guitar for 4 years, and over that my left hand is sort of broken. I also own a Jackson PS4 Performer and a self made Telecaster with a Jackson neck (yeah that is pretty weird, but Jackson has probably the best necks). I have a very bad practice amp (behringer ) but in reharsal room I use a Peavey Bandit (which I think sucks). I wish this guitar had come up with a bit thinner neck and more spacing between the strings. Otherwise sound wise its fine. If this was stolen, I would feel bad because 3200 SEK + 900 SEK for pickup is a good amount of money to feel bad about. But I won't buy this one again. I would in fact stick to 6 strings, and focus on something I am more comfortable with. But In case I am still interested in 7 strings I would go for the Woodoo Guitars 7 string one that guitar is pretty cool. I compared this guitar with Ibanez RGA7, and this guitar is much better than RGA7.

I haven't played live with it, but I am fairly sure that I can count on it under live conditions. The hardware seems pretty decent. And yes strap buttons are good, I have been playing this guitar since last year I have't noticed any problems with strap buttons. Yes I highly doubt the satin finish. As I mentioned earlier that this is one of my less played guitars, and its got that oil stain near the bridge pickup from my palm. I haven't managed to get rid of that oil stain, I used those guitar cleaning products from Planet Waves it didn't help. The stain remains. And this one time I was changing strings and the highly advertised TUSQ nut came off. But that ain't a big deal, those things are not meant to be super glued. So I used some wood glue and sticked it back. Besides that I haven't noticed any other faults on this guitar.

I felt the action was a bit low, then I raised it. But then many of my friends addressed me as a retard for having such high action. So I guess the action was appropriate. As this is my 1st 7 string, I felt a huge difference between this guitar and my 6 string guitar in terms of playability. The major change that I still haven't got used to is the distance between each strings, I feel the strings are a bit more closely placed to each other. The arpeggios that I used to play very easily on 6 strings, now I have to struggle to get them right. Also as the scale length is 26.5, the frets are bit more bigger than those on 6 string guitar, so I find it a bit tough to play those extra strechy chords. But yeah that is a trade off, larger scale length allows lower tunning. And the neck joint is a bit angled towards the neck so its not a total cuboidal joint, so allows a bit ore easy access to higher frets.

This one had a walnut satin finish, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard maple neck, tune o matic bridge, Ernie Ball strings, and Tusq nut, basswood body (which makes this guitar lighter than my 6 string Jackson which has alder body). This is Schecter Omen 7 I am talking about not Omen 7 Extreme, so this guitar didn't come up with any laminated neck, inlays and fancy finishes. This guitar came up with life time free service, which is good other wise guitars can take a good amount of time to get right setup. Well for that price you can't ask for more, and I actually wanted to buy Ibanez RGA7, but then I came across this guitar and for 2000 SEK less price Omen 7 is defiantly a better guitar not only because of price but also based on sound. RGA7 had a thinner neck and thinner body, but yet it failed to impress me.

henrihell
    I think that might have more to do with the amp than the guitar... Especially when you said it sounded decent through a blackstar... Although, if it's only decent through a blackstar, you should've known it will suck through a behringer
    leenux5030
    Yeah, but I wouldn't say that it sucked, but I wasn't impressed, the pickup up was a little bit more shrill sounding to me. And a bit noisy too.