Omen-7 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-7

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

The guitar came with stock SD pickups which were okay, but I was seeking a higher gain and tighter sound so I bought the set of Blackhawks (Bare Knuckle Pickups) and I still use this guitar today. Sounds great even for passive pickups. This was also my first seven string, but I would like to upgrade some time in the near future, but I would definitely recommend this guitar for anyone who's interested in buying a relatively cheap seven string. This also came with a basic hardcase so that was a nice plus. For the money you pay, it's good quality.

I play anything from metalcore/deathcore and a bit of progressive and this guitar seems to fit all of them. I run the guitar into my Line 6 HD500 and that into my NI interface through to my monitors. A bit of the quality is lost through the chain, but I also plug my ATH-50's straight into the pod to get a direct feed and it sounds great. I have to admit, a lot of the quality does come from the pod, but the guitar doesn't hinder the sound in any way. The only problem I have with this guitars sound is that with the pickups I have put in, while on a high tuning (which is rare) the gain is too high and sounds crackly, I understand I can just turn the gain down for the pod but I'd prefer not to touch it. But good sound for the price for sure.

The guitar came brand new from the factory and tuned to standard A and sounded great from the day I bought it. I personally didn't like the pickup placement, it was too high (basically only 2mm-3mm from the strings; I'd prefer a bit of room for picking. Other than that, the quality of the guitar when I bought it was flawless, not scratches or dents, the action was great, as I said very good quality. Personally I would recommend Guitar Factory as a seller, but they are notorious for overly priced products sadly.

I've only used this guitar for home playing and taking to uni and it doesn't seem effected by the travel at all. Basically, I trust this guitar a lot. It's never failed me, the wiring for the pickups were done professionally, the action has never hindered my playing, and seriously the only way this guitar wouldn't be good enough is if it snapped a string mid-set. But I can honestly see this guitar lasting me another few years, but by the time it would have been destroyed I would have a new guitar anyway. So what I'm trying to say, it will outlast your expectations.

I'm very happy with the guitar, great tone from the stock neck and bridge pickups and an amazing tone from the BKPs as well. The only thing I would like different about it would be a longer neck, note that this is just a standard neck for a full size electric guitar but I'd love a longer neck to support lower tunings. If this guitar was to be stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same guitar again, that is if I didn't have enough money to buy a new and better one. But as I said, this is a great STARTER seven string. But all up, I love this guitar. Would definitely recommend!