Omen-7 review by Schecter

- 24 X-Jumbo frets
- Pearloid "Semi-Goth" cross fretboard inlay
- Duncan Designed HB-7N active neck pickup
- Duncan Designed HB-7B active bridge pickup
- Master volume and tone control
- 3 position pickup selector
- TOM w/thru body bridge
- Schecter tuning machines
- Black chrome hardware
- Case sold separately

The pickups are active Seymour Duncan HB-7N and HB-7B. They sound pretty damn good, and I haven't any issues with them. The neck has great sustain and is perfectly suited for leads and solos, yet sounds great while playing rhythms. I'm in a progressive metal/djent band and this thing is perfectly suited to it. We've been recording lately and my pickups are pushing my guitar very well, it's sitting very well in the mix and the lead tones are out of this world. Of course, I'd rather have some EMG 85-7x's but they still sound great and have a nice full, distinct sound. No one wants a muddy sounding pickup, and these don't disappoint. Plus they came stock, and for the cost of the guitar, I'd say it's a great deal.

I've been playing on my Omen Active 7 for a little over a year and a half now, and I've gotta say, this is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played, especially for the price. I ordered it on eBay, and right out of the box, it sounded great. I, of course, immediately restrung it and set it up to my own play style, adjusting the action and intonating it. What a guitar!

The maple neck is fairly thin, at least compared to the Ibanez guitars I have always played up until I purchased this one. It feels very solid, but fits the contour of my hand beautifully. It's like it was made to fit. It has a Rosewood fret board, that admittedly doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary, but Rosewood is a very common fretboard material and it's very comfortable, and the dark color suits me a little more than lighter colored woods, like Maple for example. It does have this pearloid cross inlay, which I personally find to be a little cheesy, but it was very well done and doesn't stand out too bad.

The paint is pretty solid, and looks good. It's black, the body is a carve top with an off white border. It has a fixed through body bridge, and even though I'm a bigger fan of Floyd Rose Tremolo's, it's surprisingly comfortable and very well constructed. It stays in tune forever, and rarely needs maintenance beyond restringing it and wiping dust from between the pickups.

I don't have much to gripe about, aside from a faulty pickup selector that decided that I don't need to use my bridge pickup anymore and has acquainted me with the neck pickup very intimately. I'm not as big a fan of set bridges, but this feels great and has been more than enough to keep me satisfied and prevented me from pursuing a tremolo for the time being. It's comfortable, solid and just feels how a guitar is supposed to feel. It's very easy on the eyes and ears, and has given me no troubles, besides that switch.

I'm in a progressive metal/djent band, and this guitar is very well suited to it. I've been playing over 11 years, and have had many guitars before this thing, but this is easily my favorite. It's super comfortable and well constructed, sounds great and doesn't require NEARLY as much maintenance as my previous Ibanez did, though it was a fairly low end 6 string tremolo and didn't stay in tune for anything. I can't say I'd want the exact same guitar if it were stolen, though this wouldn't be out of the question. Just depends on what my means were at the time and what I could afford. We all have the ideal guitar we'd love to own, but this isn't a bad guitar at all and it's served me well for a long time. I played an Ibanez RG7321 before this, and though it was a good guitar as well, for the price similarity, I think this Schecter is the better choice.