Omen 6 FR review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen 6 FR

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

I am only a beginner guitarist and I can't really play much but I prefer to play hard rock or metal riffs. Being a Schecter this guitar suits my playing style. I have a Squier SP-10 amp which is terrible but the guitar still sounds decent, the only problem is when I use my Vox V847-A wah pedal with it is sounds quite bad, but that is just because of my amp, with my friend's amp it sounds fine. It is very full, loud sound but it gets a dim sound if you do not have the tone knob up full. Because both pickups are the same you don't get much variety and it mainly gives a deeper, crunchy sound but with a bit of amp tweaking you can get many sounds out of it.

For my genre (metal) it is a good match. I have only been playing for just under 4 months and even with my very poor amp it holds up good enough. I really should have asked for some recommendations of other guitars in my price range before buying this but I was in a bit of a Rush when I went to the store. If it was stolen or lost I would probably invest in a new amp before a guitar (like I should have in the first place) but if I had to get a guitar I would definitely get it again. I find it very easy to do pinch harmonics on however I don't like the Licensed Floyd Rose. I wish it has different pickups (EMGs to suit my playing style) so if you have money save up for a Schecter C-1 or C-1 FR. Nothing else is really a problem to me with my playing ability but for other people they might not like the Licensed Floyd Rose or the tuners.

I think that the guitar would withstand Live playing if it is properly set up and maintained, as for bringing a backup or not it depends on the person, most people would take a backup always and some people would only take the guitar they are going to use. The hardware seems like it will last, it is very solid but I don't like the Licensed Floyd Rose, it seems to be made of cheap metal and I think that will be the first part of the guitar to break. The strap buttons I do not use as I only play at home at my computer where I have acess to videos and tabs but the few times I have played standing up the strap buttons seems solid and able to hold well. The finish looks like it had a few too many coats of clear which gives it an extremely glossy look but also makes it last longer.

Because it was the demo guitar (last one at the store) it was already set up but the action was a bit low. The pickups were a bit lower than other guitars I have played but it didn't really bother me too much to go and adjust them. The only problems were the string locks in the Floyd Rose, on the 3rd string it rattles and the locks are very sharp that it ended up cutting the end off the 1st string. The tuning peg for the 5th string was also loose. Other then that everything was fine.

Despite the fact that the sticker price was $500 I payed only $400 for it due to an incorrect price in the system at Billy Hyde. It was made in 2006 in China, most Schecters are made in Korea however apparently Schecter has relocated the manufacturing site from South Korea to China. It is 25-1/2" scale with 24 jumbo frets bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It is a solid-top basswood body with a gloss black finish. It is a Strat style body but with larger cutouts for easy access to the higher frets. It has a Licensed Floyd Rose (hence the name FR)and is fitted with basic Schecter Diamond series humbucker pickups in the neck and bridge. It has 1 vol, 1 tone and a 3 way selector Switch with Schecter Diamond tuners.

Underhand
    I tihnk its great that a beginner is doing a review, it shows that he is enthusiastic.
    megadeth45
    Ikonoklast wrote: I've got a Yamaha and this looks exactly the same.
    you do not compare yamahas to schecters its just not even in the same category, idk how u even consider a yamaha a guitar lol they make other good instruments but the guitar is not one of them
    strat0blaster
    I had an Omen a copule years back, and people couldn't stop talking sh*t about it. It played well and was durable. A quick pickup switch solved all the tone issues. What more do you want from a guitar? People just love to hate on anything that isn't Fender or Gibson and doesn't cost a thousand bucks.
    vanklef92
    Fireballz 1077
    trucky5 wrote: Looks like a great guitar. I don't see why you would have anything against schecter people. They are a great company. I feel the same way about Epiphone, too. Why would you have a problem with these companies? Sure, they aren't what the "legends" play, but they still make great quality instruments. I've gigged with my lp standard plus top by epiphone, and it's a great guitar. Anyway's, I've tried this guitar and it's great. I really like the sustain you get from it with hi gain settings. Might even buy it. Good reveiw
    Good point! Schetcers are good guitars.
    prunejuiceman74
    dreadth117 wrote: Idk about this one but i have the Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR and that ones reall nice. Syns is a custom version of the hellraiser c1 fr i think :/ not sure but yeah if your willing to spend the money, its really nice.
    I'm pretty sure that Syn designed his guitar and then Schecter mass produced the body design as the Synyster Custom and Standard and then made the Hellraiser model of it. Personally, I prefer Zacky's newer guitar designs to Syn's. I think it flows better.
    prunejuiceman74
    kyru91 wrote: For an extra $200 (600 total) you can buy an Ibanez S502EX like mine, which destroyes that Schecter. Im not a fan of Schecter myself anyway but keep up the good work and keep playing. Buy a new amp too because youll eventually gonna kill yourself with that Fender 10 watt.
    Obviously spending more will get a better quality guitar. Especially $200 more. For an extra $200 don't buy an Ibanez, it won't match a schecter for $200. The Tempest Custom (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Tem... c-Guitar-102114626-i1148798.gc) destroys whatever your mentioning. Sadly enough, Ibanez can't compete with Schecter at comparable prices. They make good guitars, I don't hate them. But if you're going to spend money on a guitar, make sure it's as good a guitar as you can get.
    God_Of_Thunder
    ive got a schecter 7-string blackjack. they sound great. almost like a 7-string les paul. i only paid 699 for it i believe. great guitars at great prices.
    brutalkid
    prunejuiceman74
    brutalkid wrote: i used my friends schecter the other day and accidentally hit the wall with it. it took a big chuck... out of the wall strong bloody guitar!
    / My Hellraiser C-1 FR was hit in the head by my friend's fan when he raised it over his head. Well, no chips or anything, but the fan got some red and the guitar got a little white.
    EvilAxeMan611
    Absolutely gorgeous guitar, easy and comfortable to play, the pickups could be better but for what its worth its an awesome axe. I Love this
    Zappabootlicker
    lol i just have to say this; you said the action was a bit low.... action can never be too low....unless! it was causing buzzing against the pups and/or frets would ahve been nice if you would ahve said why....
    bcrichguitars12
    I've play a few Schecters on a couple different amps and you get what you pay for. The pickups aren't amazing the build is a little light and the it doesn't stay in tune that well. Not a bad guitar but it would be foolish to say that changing the pickups make it play like a Gibson.
    Fireballz 1077
    That is a NICE guitar....I was saving up for an Epiphone Explorer, but now I may reconsider...
    Snap017
    I also have an Omen 6 without the FR; It's a suprisingly durable guitar. Got mine at a pawn shop (Diamond in the Rough; Paid $168 for it.) as a birthday present, and about 7 months later and one slight paint chip, it's still lasting. Although I wouldn't gig with it (I'm saving for a Washburn HM-20, thing is BEAST) I definitely use this over my Squier during band practice. And the humbuckers are suprisingly good sounding tone-wise, just stick to the bottom one for the chugging metal stuff and the top one for clean/blues play.
    Vrstone87
    Josh Shiells wrote: Not bad, though I've never and likely will never play a Schecter.
    I thought the same until I picked one up.....in all honesty, I've had players that are die hard PRS, ESP and Fenders fans pick up my Schecter C-1 Blackjack and they simply fell in love with it. At the very least, find on in a shop and check it out.
    leony03
    i played my friends schecter hellrasier and i preferred my epiphone les paul standard to be honest. soloing was loads easier on the schector and everything but i prefer the way the les paul feels and plays
    Ekofu
    Snap017 wrote: And the humbuckers are suprisingly good sounding tone-wise, just stick to the bottom one for the chugging metal stuff and the top one for clean/blues play.
    That would be the Bride pickup and the Neck pickup
    Kickflip66
    Small Toaster wrote: Looks Nice. Love Syns Schecter though.
    agreed, this seems like a pretty standard mid range guitar then? still i always have had a soft spot for an axe from the boys at schecter
    DrButterfunk
    I've owned a C-1 Hellraiser FR for almost a year now, and I couldn't be happier. But everyone has their own preference of guitar.
    prunejuiceman74
    If anything, only a few guitars by schecter are made in China as all mine are made in South Korea. Schecter won't sacrifice the quality based on how cheap it is. Most of their guitars' prices have increased in the past year or two anyhow. And if you won't try a schecter, you're missing out. My recommendation is if you have the money to get one, get the C-1 Hellraiser (w/ or w/o FR). If not, try the damien.
    fluid86
    i have the omen 6 without the fr tones are not bad ,good for starters
    Joshe_009
    Joshe_009 wrote: I've got this guitar... and I'm having problems with it as well. I get buzzing on my low E string, and I need to figure out how to put in strings. The whammy has broken as well. :S
    I can change strings, just not on Floyd Rose. The buzzing is obviously due to the too low action (it's hitting the frets) - does anyone know how to fix that?
    trucky5
    noodleboy
    I've had a Schecter Omen 6 for about 4 years, I replaced the pickups with EMG 81/85 set up and it's great to play, totally solid.
    prunejuiceman74
    Schecter's cheaper guitars all have bolt on. The only cheapy that doesn't is the Gryphon I think, and I'm not sure they produce that anymore. Btw, the Omen is the cheapest guitar that schecter does produce. Find a cheaper one and I'll be all over it.
    megadeth45
    Im a big fan of shecter i dont own one cuz im only 14 so i dont haave 400 dollars to spend on a guitar at the moment lol. but if i ever get a chance to play one of these i totally will! and u r right emg's would definetly make it better either that or a couple seymour duncan humbuckers. the action on it looks pretty good from what you said and i have sum problems with action cuz i own a warlock and several other high action guitars so i end up having to adjust the truss rod to get the strings closer to the fretboard. and also dont worry bout the amp my first amp was a peavey rage which isnt terrible but now its my favorite amp compared to my orange and mesa/boogie, and soldano. u'll get the hang of playing just give it some time and when u learn a song dont just play it, add some soul, just close your eyes and when it comes to like a hammer on do a slide instead mix it up a bit and give it more of a flow and you will totally improve because it just makes everything sound better and makes u more confident about your playing.
    Grrvoklski
    From my experience with Schecters the rattling on first frets tends to be typical but it went away after playing it for a little while. And I love Schecters too. Damien FR and used Schecter Omen-6 (no FR) that i picked up for under $200
    random_B-RAD
    Thanks for all the great comments guys, didn't see a review for it so I just covered the basics of what the guitar was like so people got an idea of how it played and stuff. The action being too low when i got it was because I was getting fret buzz on the 4th 5th and 6th strings on almost all the frets, a quick truss rod adjustment and bridge height agjustment and it was fine. If you're only a beginner but you are serious about playing guitar then it would be better to get it professionally set up.
    iemabeaner
    vanklef92 wrote: foxygrandpa wrote: you should become a more experienced guitar player with more amps and things at your disposal to wriet a review i kind of agree man...when you said that the pickups were both the same, that kind of alerted me to your actual experience level. An experience guitar player who actually has some experience with schecters would know that there is a difference in the pick up...that one has more output for the bridge position. And the fact that you didn't really do much research also alerted me. However man, i got to applaud your love of the guitar. You willing to play on a crap amp and you keep things in perspective. Ive been playing for 6 years, and with most people i know its always...oh i would never play that its crap, blah blah blah. If you have skill, you can make music come from crap...wait...anyway keep it up, always play, and never stop.
    i agree with you both. if someones gonna write a review. he should know what hes gonna say not "its really sharp". gosh.
    random_B-RAD
    It's sharp or something, the second I tightened the new strings it snapped with a nice clean cut.
    kyru91
    Lord_Vayne5672
    I personaly prefer lp's all the way but i mean if your a good musician you can make anything work i have a lp custom epi w/ EMG pickups and a line 6 110watt spider and its my baby so if you can make it work your a better musician than those people who can afford $5000 guitars so good luck and keep playin man
    ens.guitar
    i got the damien 7 schecter. (the model above the omen, with 7 strings, and no floyd rose) and i just love it. iv giged with it heaps and its been great