Omen 6 FR review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen 6 FR

Purchased from: Guitar Center Store

This guitar suits my playing style very well, as I play metal and mostly cover songs from the band Avenged Sevenfold. This guitar has a very nice crunchy metal sound without any effect added to it. I am running directly into a Fender Frontman 15 15watt combo amp. The guitar is very quiet, but my amp is very noisy. I know this because I have played this guitar on multiple amps. With distortion, it has a very crunchy sound on powerchords, and a very bright sound for the highs. Solo's sound very nice. On clean, I'm not sure how to put it into words, but it sounds very nice as well.

I play metal and mostly cover songs by the band Avenged Sevenfold, and this guitar plays it perfectly, even without any added effects. I have only been playing a year so I only own an amp, cable, strap, and a gig bag besides this guitar. If you are going to get this guitar, make sure to have the guy there set it up for you if you don't know what you are doing or don't have a lot of patience to deal with a Floyd Rose. If this guitar was lost or stolen I would find the guy who stole it and make him pay for his sin of stealing my guitar. But if there was no way to get it back, I would probably buy a higher end Schecter; a Hellraiser Avenger or a Synyster Custom. There is nothing wrong with the Omen 6 FR, it is just that those guitars are so, so sexy, and now I know that Schecter is making a high quality product and is quickly becoming one of the best manufacturers out there, so it wouldn't bother me to spend that much because I know I am getting a quality product. If I couldnt get the higher end Schecter, I would definetly buy the Omen 6 FR again. I love this guitar and everything about it, especialy the Floyd Rose. When I was shopping for a guitar around this price range I was looking at Ibanez, ESP/LTD, and BC Rich. This guitar blew them away %100. This guitar is all around a higher quality product, from hardware to sound. I did months of research on differant guitars in this price from those other brands and Schecter and when it came time to buy a guitar, I knew the Omen 6 FR was going to be the highest of quality. There is nothing else I wish this guitar had, it is perfect the way it is. If you are thinking about buying this or a guitar from another brand, stop thinking, and buy the Schecter. You will not be dissapointed.

This guitar will definetly withstand live playing. All the hardware is nice and solid (even the valume and tone knobs are metal). The strap buttons seem very solid, but I don't play alot standing up so I guess I really can't say. I could definetly depend on this guitar. As for using it without a backup, you should always have a backup no matter what. But if if there was no possible way for me to have a backup, yes, I would gig with this guitar without a backup. The finish seems nice and high quality and seems like it will last, but only time will tell with this one.

I don't think the tech at Guitar Center even touched this guitar because the setup was terrible. I had to loosen the truss rod by about a full turn to give the neck just the proper amount of relief, thats how bad the backbow was. I also had to raise the action of the bass side of the bridge to get rid of the frett buzz. I had to loosen the screws inside the guitar a tiny bit to get the bridge to lay parallel to the body. The pickup hight was ok, but I prefer my pickups a little high so I raised the neck pickup. The bridge pickup was just right for me already. As far as the guitar itself, there were no flaws. The finish is fine and all the chrome hardware is nice and shiny. If it wasn't for the setup, this part would get a 10.

My Omen 6 FR was made in 2009. It was made in Indonesia. It has 24 extra jumbo frets on a 25 1/2 inch scale with a thin neck. It has a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with Standard Dot inlays, and a basswood body. It has a high gloss black finish on a Strat style body. It has a Licensed Floyd Rose Special double locking tremolo system. It has passive pickups. It has one valume knob, one tone knob, and a three way pickup selecter. It has two Standard Schecter Diamond Series pickups, one in the neck position and one at the bridge position. It has Standard Schecter tuners. The only accessories this came with was an allen wrench for the bridge/nut and a whammy bar for the Floyd Rose

WhiteTempest
    Josh shiells your an idiot and obvuously never even heard what most shecters sound like.. To tell u the truth they are insanley underpriced
    owens9520
    hey, can someone tell me what's the neck's width? I own this guitar, **** it's great, I wanted to buy new locking screws, but there's no info on schecter's web page
    Way Cool JR.
    prunejuiceman74 wrote: If anything, only a few guitars by schecter are made in China as all mine are made in South Korea. Schecter won't sacrifice the quality based on how cheap it is. Most of their guitars' prices have increased in the past year or two anyhow. And if you won't try a schecter, you're missing out. My recommendation is if you have the money to get one, get the C-1 Hellraiser (w/ or w/o FR). If not, try the damien.
    The reason that there is only a few Schecters (Crafted in china) not made! The China factory is a special factory that produces the finest of the Schecter guitars the quality is equal to the American custom builds. That factory has an American management team and American QC to guarantee a guitar of equal quality to the American builds. They use all top of the line parts and have the best most meticulous Craftsmanship from the fret board to body and to the soldering and electronics used inside. I own a 09' Damien special FR that was "Crafted in China SGR" mine even came with full size Alpha pots and an Orange drop cap. So people that get the China builds are lucky I still cant belive I lucked out and got one. And the whole setup thing on the review that said Guitar center must of never set it up LOL. Sounds to me that they did set it up and screwed up Schecters factory setup. Schecter would never have a guitar that badly setup and especially a China build. At most you would just need to adjust the height of the pickups and strings to your liking.
    Way Cool JR.
    Forgot to add that my China build came with a solid 1/2inch thick two piece quilted maple top no figured veneer on top of a maple slab split down the middle. And a solid one piece mahogany back not a three or more piece glued together. The tone woods they use are also top quality not cheep second hand picked. You don't find that in almost any guitar not even in rely expensive big brand names like Gibson or Fender and PRS. When it comes to China builds Schecter defies the industry in quality. But hell they defy the whole industry with any of there guitars for quality verses money. Hell I consider Gibson and most other brands second rate low quality guitars even next to the cheapest Schecter. And I got over 20 years experience with guitars. I cant wait to get an Omen 6 FR I want a white one though And I hope I can get another China build.
    squidkid
    i'm thinking of buying either this or the syn standered. both are about the same price.. anyone help me?
    Jukes Willie D
    The electronics on Schecter are about on a par with Epiphone. I like to think Schecter is the poor man's PRS. Design is similar although the scale is longer than Gibson or PRS, it is the longer Fender scale. Most of the Schecter's I know have carved tops and string through hard tail, which is what I like. Frets are huge bass frets of stainless, which is great. The neck cant is like Gibson rather than the straight stick style of Fender. The discontinued Gryphon is a better instrument with a maple cap over a mahogany back body. The Omen 6 has a basswood body. A pro should plan on upgrading the electronics, a better tone or volume pot (a few bucks only) and hotter pickups would help. Neither will break the bank and you will then have a great guitar.
    stillakiddo
    M3TALH3AD_DANNY wrote: does it support coil splitting? (can u pull the tone knob to turn one pickup into a single coil)
    yes i got 1 ... bt i guess there is a difference.. i hv got the one made in china..nd yes it supports coil splitting..pull the tone knob nd its single coil
    HOAFCHUGGER
    megadeth45 wrote: Ikonoklast wrote: I've got a Yamaha and this looks exactly the same. you do not compare yamahas to schecters its just not even in the same category, idk how u even consider a yamaha a guitar lol they make other good instruments but the guitar is not one of them
    dont forget that yamaha also make pretty good motorbikes and jetskis...I love the schecter omen 6!!! i picked one up in billy hyde while doing work experience and absolutely fell in love with how it played...two days ago i bought EMG 81/85 pickups to put in so it should sound better than the diamond series pickups for sure...i am getting it re set up because i am starting to get heaps of fret buzz....its almost at the point where i can hear the buzz through the amp...but yea the yamaha brand name does not belong in a guitar shop