Omen 6 FR review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen 6 FR

Purchased from: Telesound Bulgaria

My Schecter guitar is made in Indonesia, in 2009, it has a 25-1/2 scale with 24 jumbo frets, a thin maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. It has a Strat style body with a laminated gloss black finish. The guitar has Licensed Floyd Rose Special double locking tremolo system, 2 Schecter Diamond passive humbucker pick ups, it also has 1 volume, 1 tone knob and a 3 way pick up switch with Schecter Diamond tuners. It comes with an allen wrench for the bridge/nut and a whammy bar for the Floyd Rose and a gigbag.

I haven't played anything besides metalcore with it. I use a Boss MT-2 Metalzone pedal and various amps, from Randall to Marshall to whatever I find up on stage. I don't have my own gear, but I have this Fender 15 watt amp at home and it sounds terrible with this guitar, unless I plug it through my pedal. I use a Seymour Duncan SH-6 bridge pick up and it sounds amazing with it. I put it as soon as I got this guitar, so I don't know what the original sound is. I usually turn up the lows, highs, mid frequency and turn down the mids, and I also use almost all the distortion I can get. I also play in a drop C tunning and I get a decent low sound. Highs are pretty clean too. I don't like the clean sound of my bridge pick up, cause it's too loud and annoying for me, but I really enjoy the clean sound of the Schecter Diamond neck pick up. It's very clean and bright.

I don't know anything about the set up cause it was a gift and as soon as I got it, I gave it to a guitar tech. All I know is that he lowered the action cause it was a bit high, besides he changed the strings and set everything up according to the tunning I play in (drop C). What I don't like about Floyd Rose is that changing strings gets more complicated, not to mention that once my guitar has been set up, I can't just tune it up or down whenever I want to. Everything else besides the action seemed well adjusted, there were no other flaws.

I've hit and dropped this guitar so many times that it's just sad, not to mention that I travel with a gigbag and it doesn't really protect the guitar at all and it still sounds good to me. The strap buttons are pretty solid, hardware seems fine for now. I don't know if I can depend on it for a long time, like I said the hardware seems fine but I feel like the frets are wearing off. The finish is pretty decent, even after all those hits, there's not a scratch on it. I play this guitar live and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

I play metalcore and it seems fine. Scechter in general are a good brand for this genre. I've been using this guitar for almost 2 years now. I own a Epoch Les Paul (made by Gibson & Baldwin), I put the Schecter Diamond bridge on it and it changed the sound drastically. Like I said, I got this guitar as a gift, I wanted to buy a Hellraiser at first. I played a Hellraiser with EMG active pick ups once and it sounded like a cheap crappy guitar compared to mine I'm not saying that the Omen is better than the Hellraiser, cause depends on what you're playing, how your guitar is set up, what hardware you use and whether you take good care of your guitar or not. All I'm saying is that you can get a pretty decent sound from this guitar if you find the right hardware for it.