Omen Extreme-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen Extreme-6

Purchased from: A friend

The guitar are Chinese made, 3 pieces of mahogany with a flamed maple veneer, and the neck is maple with rosewood scale and a graphtech nut; body/neck/headstock bindings, golden hardware, grover tuners and a stop tail bridge with a string-thru body. The pickups are the Diamond Plus and the guitar came with a tone push/pull to coil tap the humbuckers. The controls are a volume, tone and 3 way Les Paul like pickup selector. Its neck are not as thick as a Les Paul, but it gets close and it is very comfortable to play, low action and nice frets.

I bought this guitar to play death/doom/thrash metal, mostly low tuning stuff. I put a .013 string gauge on it and tuned it to standard B. The stock pickups were nice and the electrics were awesomely done, without any cold joints, the cavity came with a conductive paint shielding and the wires were all organized with nylon clamps. But, I changed the original pickups because they didn't had the tone characteristics that I was looking for, the Diamond Plus pickups sounded trebly and with a little bit of scooped mids. I needed a low/mid punch and then I changed the pickups for a Seymour Black Winter bridge and a DiMarzio PAF pro on the neck. Now the guitar is kicking some serious arse, when I played it on the studio with my band, the guitar sounded very rich, and full, almost as bassy as a Les Paul. I'll give it a 8 because the stock pickups weren't as great as the replacements that I installed. With the Seymour and the DiMarzio, I give the guitar a 10.

Awesome finish, the action are low (about 3,5-4mm) and the lower cut are well made, easily granting access to the higher frets. I know I've bought it used but my friend had this guitar for just months, he didn't even played it very much and the guitar was as new. That's because I'm reviewing like I got it directly from a retail store, I knew the guitar haven't been adjusted or set up by a luthier after my friend got it. He didn't even changed the strings which came on it. I bought practically a new and "fresh" guitar. I just cleaned up, changed the strings and set the neck to the thicker gauge, changed the pickups and the guitar was ready to play.

That said, not a single flaw on the finish, electrics, frets, pots, nut, etc. The only thing is that the pickup selector switch and the input jack were malfunctioning after few months and I had to replace them. Didn't find anything to complain about the looks and construction, the guitar is just impeccable, awesome finish and very well built.

Not much to complain, had this guitar now for almost 4-5 years and beside the jack and pickups selector change that I had to do, this guitar didn't had a single problem. Can't say that you could gig without a backup because anything can happen on stage, but, if you could not have another guitar, no worries. The omen 6 extreme won't let you down. I've played a lot with those guitar live and I Always took great care with my axes, so, not even a single scratch were made on the finish. Also, the grover tuners keeps the guitar in tune 100%, you can rock hard with the guitar and it will stay in tune. Same for the truss rod, nut and overall hardware quality.

Great match for metal and the subgenres. As it feels like a Les Paul because its tone and neck, would be great for hard rock. I would totally got another one if I were robbed. My favorite feature its the bassy tone, the string thru body which makes easier to change strings and the neck. Didn't hate anything at all on the guitar.

It's been around 15 years since I started playing and around those years I've played lots of guitars, since the cheapest Chinese made to the expensive American ones. This one is definitely a midrange guitar although its low end price, almost a steal for the instrument quality. Also from all the Chinese guitars that I played before, this one it by far the better. It's as good as a Japanese/Korean mid-end guitars, even better with a little tweaking.

To finish my review, I consider this to be a nice and simple guitar if you're a beginner or even a mid/semi-pro guitar player. The best part is the bridge, it's way easier to change the strings and set the action than a Floyd Rose. That's why I'd recommend it to both kinds of players, because it's easy to setup for a beginner to jam with his band or play at home and study, as well as it's reliable to the mid/semi-pro player for a recording, gigging, travelling with it and such, considering the guitar will stay in tune and the truss rod will work without any trouble.