Omen Extreme-6 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 09/16/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Omen Extreme-6
All in all, it's a fairly good guitar, and while it doesn't fit all genres, it fits most.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Features: 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Omen Extreme-6 Reviewed by: 3OddOnes, on january 11, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: It was made in Indonisia, in 2011 I believe. It's has 24 Frets, Maple Neck with Cream Binding, Rosewood Fretboard, Jumbo Frets, 25.5" Scale. Mahogany Body with a Quilted Maple top with Cream Binding, finished in Satin-Black Cherry. Strat shape with a String Thru Bridge, which is what defines it from the other Omens. The electronics are Passive with a Volume Pot and a Push/Pull Tone Pot with Coil Tap. It has a 2 Humbucker layout, two Schecter Diamond Plus Series pups. The tuners are also Schecter, Non-Locking I think. The guitar didn't come with anything, but it's still good for the price. // 8

Sound: I play a variety of genres, from Metal to Pop-Punk to Classical, and the guitar fit them quite well. With the Coil Tap, it is very versatile. I'm currently playing it with a Laney LX12 amp, but plan to get a Line 6 Spider Amp soon, the one I tried it out with in the shop, which helped to fall in love with it over guitars I decided I really wanted before going out to buy. It is a fairy noisy guitar however and whenever I use it, I turn down the volume on both the amp and the guitar so I can hear the music I'm playing to. Despite being able to switch to single coil pups, it still manages to sound warm instead of bright because of the mahogany body. Still, it has amazingly long sustain and seems to have a natural wah if you string some notes on long enough. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in good shape when it was purchased, but I find the guitars finish can be easily damaged if you don't take care, and the guard on the back has been scratched like hell, and the push/pull pot is loud, much louder than the pickup selector, which itself came on the loud side too. Apart from this, the guitar was well made and not many flaws can be found in it from my perspective. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for a good 3 months now, and I've only played it outside of practice once. It stood up for that and I'm fairly sure it could stand well in live playing, but if it were dropped, I'm fairly sure the guitar would break, even dropping it on carpet could break it for all I'm concerned, so I wouldn't gig with it without a good backup. However the finish seems good enough not to wear thin easily. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all, it's a fairly good guitar, and while it doesn't fit everything I play, it fits most and that's good enough for me. I've been playing for about 3 and a half years now, and this is my second guitar, along with a Strat copy, and my Laney amp. I wish I had tried a few more guitars when I bought it, like a Tele or a hollowbody like the ES-335. I probably would buy it again if it were stolen, though I might get another guitar instead. The thing I love the most about it is that all 24 frets on each string are easily acessable, but I hate that it's single coil mode sounds warm instead of bright. When buying it, I compared it to a B.C. Rich Bich, an Ibanez (not sure which) and an Epiphone LP Standard. The BC and Ibanez sounded too brittle and the Epi didn't feel right for me, so I got the Schecter. I would give it a 9, but the single coil not bring bright does knock it down for me. // 8

Omen Extreme-6 Reviewed by: dsumang44, on september 16, 2016

Purchased from: Pulse Musicals

Features: Mine is a cherry red Schecter Omen Extreme 6, made in Indonesia(not sure about the year though). I bought this guitar 6 months ago, in March '16. It has 24 XJ frets. This guitar has a super-strat style double cut-a-way body with a 24 XJ-fretted Rosewood fingerboard with Abalone & Pearloid Vector inlays, a Mahogony body and a typical Schecter C-shaped Bolt-on maple neck. The electronic part is composed of 2 Schecter Diamond Plus Passive Pickups which are damn good, a three-way pickup switch, two volume controls and a tone control w/push-pull coil split system. A tune-O-Matic bridge w/String-Thru-Body and a Graph Tech XL Black Tusq nut are there as well. The Guitar flaunts a beautiful quilt maple top and Crème Multi-ply binding. The shop where I bought this one, included a gig bag, a strap, a cable and couple of different Allen keys with the deal. // 10

Sound: My band is a progressive rock band and we love to do various experiments with our sounds, tones, riffs, melody sections etc. And that's where this guitar stands solid. Whether I'm playing riffs, clean arpeggios or whatever, this guitar sounds strong. I don't have any tube amplifiers as they are a bit costly here; all of my tone comes from a Line 6 POD XT Live floor unit. Combining my guitar and the POD, I get decent tones to use in our songs and cover songs as well, both in live situations and recordings. The Schecter designed passive pickups are really good. I don't use so much of gain in my tones, so no noises, But on high gain settings you can hear a little noise coming out, but that's only with high gain settings. For that, there is a noisegate in the POD to use. Moreover, the push-pull tone knob comes very handy when you're looking for a bluesy, clean or slightly-overdriven sound. As I handle mostly the rhythm parts of our songs, most of my things come from the bridge pickup and I get the sound which I like. I'm pretty happy with my sound but maybe after 6-7 months or so, I'll go for Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB set to get deeper/tighter sounds. The guitar is definitely able to deliver an array sounds from blues to metal, jazz to hard rock and so on but I'll recommend this guitar more for heavy rock styles. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nicely at the factory. I Just lowered the action a little bit. The tuners, volume/tone knobs are sturdy. The pickups, bridge are placed in a proper manner; the slotting, done on the nut, is very good. The guitar didn't have any flaws in terms of hardware, finish, neck bolting, pickup selector or input plug, whatsoever. Since the tuning pegs are non-locking, the guitar going out of tune is a thing that will give you a slight pain in the ass. But it doesn't mean that the tuners are shit. Comparing the tuners on my LTD Viper 10, they are really good and holds the tune even after good warping bends. The guitar is a bit heavy for me, the wood seemingly sturdy and solid. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can surely tell you that this guitar will withstand live playing because after buying it, i have done a number of live shows with it and it has never failed me so far. The hardware seems to last long. The strap buttons are pretty good but I have already removed them and installed a pair of straplocks, just to be sure. Yes, I can totally depend on this guitar but I always keep a backup if I'm up for any gig. Regarding the finish, I am sure this won't go off easily, after all it's a Schecter, who are quite famous for their workmanship and relatively low price, right? // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for my playing style. Lots of attitude, the beautiful finish with tight tones, I really like this guitar. I've been playing for 4 years now and I have two other guitars as well. One is Grason Explorer, which is a very shitty and very cheap spin-off of Gibson Explorer and a ESP LTD Viper 10. If this guitar was stolen I'll probably save up some more money to get a Hellraiser or premium LTD H series. Well, I don't have anything particular on this guitar to hate. It is decent guitar considering the price I've paid for it. Before buying, I compared this one to similar priced guitars from Ibanez and LTD but the looks of this guitar seemed more attractive to me and when I played this one in the shop, somehow I felt that this guitar is what I was looking for. And I bought it. I wish it had locking tuners, but then the price would have been a little higher.

Allover, in my opinion, this is a damn good guitar in its price range. If you upgrade it with locking tuners and good pickups such as Duncans, it will definitely do wonders and give tough competitions to higher end models from any guitar maker. // 9

Omen Extreme-6 Reviewed by: jpeque1, on november 13, 2015

Purchased from: A friend

Features: The guitar are Chinese made, 3 pieces of mahogany with a flamed maple veneer, and the neck is maple with rosewood scale and a graphtech nut; body/neck/headstock bindings, golden hardware, grover tuners and a stop tail bridge with a string-thru body. The pickups are the Diamond Plus and the guitar came with a tone push/pull to coil tap the humbuckers. The controls are a volume, tone and 3 way Les Paul like pickup selector. Its neck are not as thick as a Les Paul, but it gets close and it is very comfortable to play, low action and nice frets. // 10

Sound: I bought this guitar to play death/doom/thrash metal, mostly low tuning stuff. I put a .013 string gauge on it and tuned it to standard B. The stock pickups were nice and the electrics were awesomely done, without any cold joints, the cavity came with a conductive paint shielding and the wires were all organized with nylon clamps. But, I changed the original pickups because they didn't had the tone characteristics that I was looking for, the Diamond Plus pickups sounded trebly and with a little bit of scooped mids. I needed a low/mid punch and then I changed the pickups for a Seymour Black Winter bridge and a DiMarzio PAF pro on the neck. Now the guitar is kicking some serious arse, when I played it on the studio with my band, the guitar sounded very rich, and full, almost as bassy as a Les Paul. I'll give it a 8 because the stock pickups weren't as great as the replacements that I installed. With the Seymour and the DiMarzio, I give the guitar a 10. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Awesome finish, the action are low (about 3,5-4mm) and the lower cut are well made, easily granting access to the higher frets. I know I've bought it used but my friend had this guitar for just months, he didn't even played it very much and the guitar was as new. That's because I'm reviewing like I got it directly from a retail store, I knew the guitar haven't been adjusted or set up by a luthier after my friend got it. He didn't even changed the strings which came on it. I bought practically a new and "fresh" guitar. I just cleaned up, changed the strings and set the neck to the thicker gauge, changed the pickups and the guitar was ready to play.

That said, not a single flaw on the finish, electrics, frets, pots, nut, etc. The only thing is that the pickup selector switch and the input jack were malfunctioning after few months and I had to replace them. Didn't find anything to complain about the looks and construction, the guitar is just impeccable, awesome finish and very well built. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not much to complain, had this guitar now for almost 4-5 years and beside the jack and pickups selector change that I had to do, this guitar didn't had a single problem. Can't say that you could gig without a backup because anything can happen on stage, but, if you could not have another guitar, no worries. The omen 6 extreme won't let you down. I've played a lot with those guitar live and I Always took great care with my axes, so, not even a single scratch were made on the finish. Also, the grover tuners keeps the guitar in tune 100%, you can rock hard with the guitar and it will stay in tune. Same for the truss rod, nut and overall hardware quality. // 9

Overall Impression: Great match for metal and the subgenres. As it feels like a Les Paul because its tone and neck, would be great for hard rock. I would totally got another one if I were robbed. My favorite feature its the bassy tone, the string thru body which makes easier to change strings and the neck. Didn't hate anything at all on the guitar.

It's been around 15 years since I started playing and around those years I've played lots of guitars, since the cheapest Chinese made to the expensive American ones. This one is definitely a midrange guitar although its low end price, almost a steal for the instrument quality. Also from all the Chinese guitars that I played before, this one it by far the better. It's as good as a Japanese/Korean mid-end guitars, even better with a little tweaking.

To finish my review, I consider this to be a nice and simple guitar if you're a beginner or even a mid/semi-pro guitar player. The best part is the bridge, it's way easier to change the strings and set the action than a Floyd Rose. That's why I'd recommend it to both kinds of players, because it's easy to setup for a beginner to jam with his band or play at home and study, as well as it's reliable to the mid/semi-pro player for a recording, gigging, travelling with it and such, considering the guitar will stay in tune and the truss rod will work without any trouble. // 10