Omen Extreme review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen Extreme

Price paid: € 330

Purchased from: Local Music Store

It's my first electric guitar and I'm exploring many new playing styles, but at the same time I'm trying to be as honest as possible while writing this review. I have played many guitars and this one is a midrange guitar. I realy like the clean sound, when buckers are splitted in single coils. Sound is bright and clear. When coil tap is turned off clean sound is alot fuller (has more midrange to it). Now it's time to get dirty. In rock and metal, it does the job quite well, but it feels like it lacking something. I have played this guitar through Mesa Boogie (don't remmber which model), B-52 Stealth and some solid state combos. At home I'm playing through Zoom G2 with headphones. Mostly I play Blues and Rock - it does it and You can get some decent metal sounds out of it too, but as I mentioned it lacks something in tone, maybe a pickup upgrade would help.

Overall I'm satisfied, for the first electric guitar, I couldn't get a better one, quality is realy good. I've been playing for two years now and I got this guitar for a half year now. If some asshole steals it, I wouldn't get this for second time, I have a GAS for Jackson Rhoads for a long, long time. So, if You wan't a quality instrument, which sounds quite good and You're on budget, this is a guitar for You to check out.

I have played two gigs with this guitar and everything was fine, didn't break a string or anything. Hardware is Korean made, but it's ok. Strap buttons look solid, I won't change them anyway, because I use Planet Waves strap with strap-locks. Finnish is solid and it doesn't seem to wear off or chip.

The guitar was ready to play right from the shelf of the store. Action was bit high, but I lowered it, now it plays fine. I also lowered pickups. Frets were leveled and cut corectly, no sharp fret ends. Tuners and controls weren't loose. No finnish flaws. I was surprised by the quality of the hardware. Good to go indonesians! Chinese Epiphone I checked, that day felt cheap and hardware wasn't as good as this indonesian schecter.

Schecter Omen Extreme. I think it's an 2008 or 2009 model (made in Indonesia), because it has a basswood body with quilted maple top and tobaco sunburst paintjob on it. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with Vector inlays, 24 jumbo frets. TOM, string-thru body bridge, two Schecter Alnico V high-output pickups, tone (withc coil tap), volume, 3-way, schcter tuners. Came with a cable and tools to adjust the tross rod. Nice package of features, but in My opinion neck could be bit thiner and wider (like PRS Thin Wide neck profile).

Dream Floyd
    Gitaarbanaan
    nice review, no straight 10's ! I like the looks of the guitar. Dunno about the pickups though, if you say they miss something. More expensive schechter's got better pickups anyway, so that's a budget deal
    eteam_sammy4him
    Beautiful guitar! I saw Becoming the Archetype earlier in the fall, and their guitarist used one of these through a 6505, and it sounded great!
    Zdsguitar
    Zdsguitar
    Zdsguitar wrote: I agree with you on the pick up upgrade..The newer models of the Omen have EMGs on it, which give you that better metal tone. But still this is a very good guitar for the price.
    Correction its the Damien that has the EMGs, my bad guys.
    eljono123
    Good review. I am about to buy my first " decent" electric soon. I play all rhythm now on my ibanez AEG and don't play my strat at all. Thanks for the review.
    skylerjames13
    Dream Floyd wrote: 'no finnish flaws'. I'm glad that the people in Finland didn't make any mistakes.
    This.
    BBMP
    T3h_Killjoy
    BBMP wrote: I'm guessing the guitar is not heavy 'cos of basswood ... need confirmation ... F1!!
    It's heavier than My friends Yamaha bass which is made of alder.
    Adam278
    Which is the better guitar, this or an ibanez rga42? they are both 299, need some help choosing
    T3h_Killjoy
    ChaserHUN wrote: Schecters site says it's mahagony
    Old model was made of basswood.
    kaweichan wrote: wrong pic, bro
    Model in the pic is discontinued ( I have that one)