Omen FR Extreme review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen FR Extreme

Purchased from: L&M

I play a lot of older metal and some newer hardcore stuff etc. Mostly lately has been a lot of Gilbert stuff, really into shred now. I run it with my Carvin MTS 3212 tube combo, as well as my Boss RC-2 Loop Station. It's not noisy at all. The sound is solid through my amp, I can get lots of nice rich harmonics and cutting through distorted tones easily.

Overall it's a real nice guitar, but for my shred tastes, I prefer having something light on my shoulders that feels like my fingers can free roam and it almost feels like I'm not even holding a guitar. This guitar is very heavy compared to my old SLSMG Soloist, as well as my DK-2. If it were stolen or lost I'd most likely buy something else, Schecter necks are medium sized, definately not even close to a Jackson or Ibanez Wizard or Wizard II neck.

This guitar will withstand Live playing, even after whammy dives the tuning is still good to go. I installed DiMarzio strap locks on it and those have helped a lot as well. I would gig with it but definately have a backup, you never know with guitars, especially if a string broke Live. Always good to have a number 2 with you.

Guitar was setup great from the factory, but L&M butchered that setup. I asked for it in D Standard, and I believe the notes ended up DCGFBD, it was hilarious, definately I would recommend check out some youtube videos of how to setup a floyd yourself, it's good to know for future reference anyways. The pickup height and everything was great, my one problem with it is it's ungodly heavy, honestly it feels like I'm playing a Les Paul compared to my Jackson. Still has lots of sustain and does seem built to last.

Its your basic run of the mill metal guitar. It has a basswood body with stock Schecter pickups which do sound suprisingly well. The liscensed floyd rose is very liable so far and I havenmt had any tuning issues etc. The setup from L&M however was garbage, but if youknow a thing about floyds, it wasn't a problem to fix. The coil tap feature is excellent for getting nice sparkling clean tones. Pickups are passive.

minchew
    Hale_91 wrote: dylan87654321 wrote: im getting this guitar in four days yesssss its great it sounded great on the shit amp i played it on i recomend anyone who wants their first guitar with a floyd to get it anyone that gets a floyd in there first guitar is an idiot.
    He didn't mean 1st guitar ever. He said first guitar with a floyd.
    cleft11
    lol yeah, i played this in my local guitar shop, and its truly awesome. a great recommend
    d_byrne23
    My review makes it sound kinda bad, but its honestly a pretty decent guitar..I just dont like the weight, which isnt even really that bad, I was just comparing it to previous guitars ive owned
    silencebreaks15
    i still don't get why you hate schecters man. there good guitars, and not too expensive. and u know my C1 is awesome. ok, later.
    droog4life
    why do people hate schecters so much? i'm not being all defensive about it, it's just that i have a schecter diamond series and its my guitar of choice outta the other 3 i own...
    Shalfey
    This guitar is worth more than it costs. Sounds great and has good floyd.
    Hale_91
    anyone that gets a floyd in there first guitar is an idiot.
    Sudaka
    I've been looking for a guitar in this price range, (to play metal, of course) and I am in between this one and the Dean VMNTX (dave mustaine's cheap model) which would you people recommend?
    proguitarist11
    personally, i f**king hate schecters, but if i was forced to get one, it would be this one. it does play well (for a schecter), but i prefer soo many other brands. Gibson, Ibanez, PRS, ESP, and Fender.
    ultrabot90
    What's wrong with a first ever guitar having an FR? Apart from it being incredibly fiddly, that is.
    Wiseman71901
    Eh, I think he meant their first guitar "With a floyd rose trem." Not the very first guitar. :p
    braydz
    what's the floyd rose trem like on it? i am extremely interested on it but does the trem fade quickly like some ppl have said and result in the guitar constantly going out of tune?
    javier321
    i have to s-1 elite. but i dont know why people hate them u can do some may things to them i changed out the pickups for emg's and a after burner and it sounds so good for metal ect.
    dylan87654321
    silencebreaks15
    idk. i think schecters are awesome, out of the 4 good electrics i have, 3 of em are schecters, and my C-1 Elite is definately the best.
    Wiseman71901
    Eh, I'm thinking he meant the first guitar "With a floyd rose" Not the very first guitar. :p
    willymillan
    I own this guitar and I gave it away to a friend because it is too heavy, the action is quite high and I wanted to lower the action and it buzzes on the frets and it gets out of tune when I use the tremolo, good sound though.
    XSider
    Don't even bother buying this! It's a big pile of ....! I've tried it today in a shop, and maaan.. Worse than my Squier. It has a bad tone for metal, when muting the strings it has no "chugga" just... Idk.. Not for metal. Not for anything really.