Omen FR Extreme review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen FR Extreme

Purchased from: Pro Guitar Shop

I play mostly hard rock and alternative, sometimes playing funk and more blues-y things. This guitar suits all of these styles very well, especially hard rock and metal, being the badass guitar it is. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III (meh) which doesn't really show the guitar's full potential. I play it through a Vox Valvetronix VT30 at my nearest Paul Green School of Rock and is sounds great! When distorted, the guitar is very growly and the higher notes scream. Although sometimes, the bridge pickup can be a little noisy. When the push/pull tap knob is pulled up, there is less scratchy and slidy noises, but more humming when not playing, but I guess that's what humbuckers were invented for. The clean sound is surprisingly very good. It sounds very full and deep, almost like an electric-acoustic. The Licensed Floyd Rose stays in tune very well, never going out of tune on dive bombs and repeated wanking.

For all of my music this is a great guitar. I've been playing five years and I also own an Ibanez GAX30, a Dean Z-X, and an Epiphone SG G-400. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy another one, or at least a very similar Schecter because Schecter guitars are just plain awesome. Before deciding on this guitar, I considered an Ibanez RG350MYE, but the stock pickups on it are terrible, and the Edge III Tremolo isn't very good at staying in tune.

I have played on stage with this guitar and it holds up great. The hardware is very sturdy and nothing is coming loose and the strings aren't going out of tune. The strap buttons are very solid and slightly larger than other strap buttons. I usually bring two guitars when I play concerts just in case, and I would ALWAYS bring a backup guitar. The finish is very deep and doesn't seem thin or fragile. I'm very clumsy and I've banged it against walls many times and hardly even a scratch has shown up.

I opened the guitar directly from the box it was shipped in and I was stunned. The guitar was beautiful- very shiny hardware, no rust or loose screws or tuning pegs and the frets were perfectly sanded on the side. But sadly, it wasn't perfect. The pickups were very loose in the body, and the action was extremely low. Don't get me wrong, I love low action, but this was REALLY low. The first three frets on three strings buzzed. Both flaws were an easy fix for my local music store though.

This guitar was made in 2009 I believe. I received it this Christmas. It has 24 extra-jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with a maple neck. The body is mahogany w/ quilted maple and it has a Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo and passive Schecter Diamond Plus pickups. It has Two knobs, tone and volume, with a push/pull coil split function on the tone knob, and a three-way toggle switch. The guitar has Schecter tuners and a locking nut. The guitar came with an extra spring, the three Allen wrenches and of course the tremolo arm. Also, I got the one in a beautiful Black Cherry finish with multi-ply yellow/creme binding.

LexLuthor91
    Hale_91 wrote: dylan87654321 wrote: im getting this guitar in four days yesssss its great it sounded great on the shit amp i played it on i recomend anyone who wants their first guitar with a floyd to get it anyone that gets a floyd in there first guitar is an idiot.
    My first guitar has floyd. Are you saying i`m an idiot?