Omen FR Extreme review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen FR Extreme

Price paid: A$ 599

Purchased from: Billy hyde

Equipment: Ibanez DS7 Monterey Crap amp that sounds surprisingly alright. Has been played on Line 4 Spider 30w, and Dave Mustaine Marshall mini stack. I play metal cleans, prog metal for writing and the occasional Megadeth or Slayer song. It nails the slayer sound, and even though I'm not really a fan of floyds, or even floating trems in general, playing that intro to "Raining Blood" brings a smile to your face. To be more specific, the sound is massively chunky with or without distortion, and actually comes from the guitar rather than the pickups. Power chords are almost ridiculously heavy, and it isn't a slouch in the mids either. Its highs lack something though with distortion, and it really isn't fantastic for leads, but is still competent. I can't tell whether its the pickups or the actual guitar. I wouldn't get this if you played lead guitar, as an Ibanez would be better. In fact, most things at the price would do leads better. But for a rhythm guitarist that plays Killswitch Engage, Slayer rhythms, newer Megadeth and so on, I don't think there's a better guitar under $1000 AU. But if you want specifically a holy wars tone, and nothing else, look elsewhere. The coil tapping is a life saver for cleans. The cleans are so awful on humbucker mode, that it is reminiscent of the very end of "The Odyessey" by Symphony X, or basically the classic stack module, max gain of a Roland Cube amp. If you still have no idea what I mean, about an AC/DC distortion. However, coiltapped, the neck pickup sounds almost un-naturally amazing, better than any guitar I have ever played. Even the $1500 ones! The bridge is also extremely good, but really only suits metal cleans.

When I first saw this guitar, I thought-Wow, it looks better than the other Schecters, and I'm too much of a hipster to buy one of those Ibani (Ibanez plural). So I got it. I also have a crap Monterey guitar, I've played Ibani, Epiphones, ESPs, BC Riches, and it blows them all except a 1k BC Rich into the weeds. I've been playing for a year. If it were stolen or lost, I would either buy it again, or save for a Dean Dave Mustaine signature. Love: Massive rhythms Stupidly good quality Hot pickups Coil tapping Mahogany Hate: Mediocre highs and leads ... Well, that's about it!

Again, read the previous statement. Everything is perfect with the reliability. The black chrome hardware looks wonderful on the black, wavy finish that is impossible to scratch or chip. Like, literally impossible. Dropping the guitar does nothing to it, and I wouldn't expect anything to this side of a steamroller. And even then... 10 doesn't justify how much I trust this guitar. It deserves 60 million.

Perfect. Nothing wrong with it. Pickups adjusted perfectly, action perfect, no flaws in anything. The floyd is easy to restring, even though I generally hate re-stringing a floating trem, the tuners are perfect, and not crunchy like my crappy Monterey. Just so you know, the neck is like a baseball bat, but its so good you don't even notice it. And I don't like having a twig under my hand anyway.

This Schecter is a 2011 model, 24 fret guitar. It has 25.5 inch scale, rosewood fretboard and Jumbo frets. It has a mahogany body, maple neck, Schecter tuners and Schecter Diamond plus passive pickups. It, obviously, has a Floyd Rose special. The pickups are coil-tapped, there is only a tone and volume knob, and 3 way selector. Mine is a nice black colour. Overall, quite feature packed for the price.

givemeajackson
    OvLamvAndGod wrote: so,once you have the guitar set up from the shop/factory,there's nothing you can do? i mean, he says that ''I love anything about it except the setup. I don't think Schecter could have done that it was probably the stupid teenager in the store that screwed my guitar up." cant you just fix/set it your own? ?
    you can. takes some time and some trying, but most stuff is easy to do. if that ****ing floyd wouldnt be there it would be done within minutes. with floyd it takes you hours. checklist (4 onwards only with floyd): 1 trussrod (under that plate on the headstock, affects the straightness of the neck) 2 intonation (try to get the same pitch if you play a natural harmonic on the twelft fret and then fret that note. move the saddles forth and back to affect that) 3 action (height of the strings) 4 tune (clear, huh?) 5 springs (adjust the spring tention untill your floyd is paralel to the strings when you are in tune) 6 tune again you may have to repeat step 4-6 several times. hope that helps, floyds are very bitchy to set up :/