PT Blackjack review by Schecter

Schecter: PT Blackjack

Sounds absolutely divine. Fits my playing style to a T. I play metal and it suits the style much better than I expected it to. I'm currently using it with a Crate GX1200H half stack and a Zoom Tri-Metal distortion pedal. Even with the junk amp the guitar sounds great. One of the quietest guitars I have ever played, on high-gain settings I have actually forgotten it was turned up. One quirk I have noticed is that the bridge pickup is slightly farther from the bridge than usual, and as a result, the lower I tune it the better it sounds, it loves CGCFAD tuning. The clean sound is actually very good as well, with a nice warm Les Paulish tone.

I play mostly metal but I mess around with other styles and it does them all well, it's a well-rounded guitar, it can do any style you want to throw at it. I've been playing for 11 years, but I'm not as good as I should be due to lack of practice. I don't have as much gear as I'd like to have, but what I do have seems to work just fine. This is the only guitar I currently own. I doubt I'll ever lose this guitar, but if it were ever stolen I'd probably pony up a little more cash for the Schecter Hellraiser as I like EMGs. I love the feel more than anything else about it, there's really nothing I don't like. My favorite feature is the Tune-O-Matic bridge as I don't use or like tremolos(I'm a rythym guitarist). I compared it to several Jacksons and a couple of ESPs and for the price the Omen 6 just blew them away. The only thing I wish it had is another volume knob.

This guitar is a friggin' tank, it'll stand up to live playing no problem. The hardware seems very solid, I've owned it for over a year and the only thing I've ever had to do is tighten down the input jack. The strap buttons are solid as hell, the strap has never fallen off. I would never gig without a backup but it's extremely likely that the backup will be unneccesary unless I break a string. The finish is durable and seems like it will last.

The factory set-up was excellent. The action was just a tad high, but nothing to really complain about. THe bridge pick-up was adjusted perfectly and the neck pickup was a bit low, but I like it set up that way anyway so no complaints there. The top is solid so no book matching, and the bridge is routed just fine. No flaws on the guitar at all that I've found. It's got a couple of dings on it, but that was my fault, not the factory's.

This is an awesome guitar! For the price it can't be beat. Manufactured in 2004. 24 jumbo frets, 25 1/2" scale. I believe it's a solid top, basswood body. Maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. I have the walnut satin finish version which is great because I like wood grain. Strat-style body wit a Tune-O-Matic and string through body set up. Duncan Designed passive humbuckers. It has 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way pickup selector. Non-locking Grover tuners.

newman13
    My review(the top one) was actually of the Schecter Omen 6. I must have clicked on the wrong model by mistake and not noticed. The irony of that is I was actually considering the PT Blackjack as well but opted for the Omen due to the price difference. Sorry 'bout the misplacement.
    RockMusicFan
    I really want to get this guitar but it seems like they don't make it anymore, unless I'm wrong.
    swainy
    I played a Shecter PT at the weekend, but it definatly didn't feel like jumbo frets to me. Still a fab guitar, I plan to buy it later this month.