S-1 review by Schecter

Schecter: S-1

I play anything from pop-punk all the way up to death metal and I have to say that this guitar unfortuntley does not cover them all. I run it through a Line 6 Spider II 30 Modeling amp with a little reverb and it sound spectecular at first. The Duncan's sound very rich and full at first but they start to wear out and get deep. They give out good distortion but not enough for soloing. You can solo, but you would mabey want a distorion pedal for it. The thing plays chords like butter. My favorite thing about the Duncans is that you can get that heavy "chug chug" when you palm mute. I love the Grover Tuners. They keep the guitar in tune for a long time. However like I said before, the Duncans wear out after a while and start to sound horrible. After having them in (a little over a year), I decided to change them to the almighty EMG 81/85 combination. Now it sounds like a Demon thanks to the wood quality of the S1. In conclusion about the sound. The S1 sounds beautiful at first but after at least a year of playing with it. You would want to pull out the Duncan pickups and put in somthing else.

I've been playing for 2 years now and I play anything form punk to metal. The S1 covers almost every style at first but then starts to wear out and sound like crap after a year. The only issue is the Duncan pickups. They go from amazing to horrbile in a year. I love the quality wood of the guitar, it's finishes and its look but I've grown to hate the Duncan Designs (luckliy I replaced them with EMG 81/85). If the guitar were stolen, I would defentley hunt the guy who took it or just buy another one just due to the fact that the guitar is just sooooo goergous. I would defentley recommend this guitar, but only if you decide to replace its stock pick-ups with somthing else after you have it for a a little over a year. It is also a good buy and can hang with the big brands such as PRS and Gibson if you do decide to replace the pickups.

The S1 is a durable guitar but its extremley fragile. I sligltly bumped into a wall while I was playing it and cracked the head stock a little bit. It can easily be scratched because of the thin finish. However, none of this effected the sound of the guitar what so ever so the I was pleased with.

When I got the guitar. The action was to high so I lowered it a little and it sounded perfect. It was set up at a factory. My only grudge about the S1 is the body. It looks goergous but accessing the higher frets is a pain in the ass due to the SG sort-of body but other wise every thing was perfect.

This is a 2005 Korean made Schecter S1 but 100% set up in the United States. It has 24.75" scale and a set neck. The body is mohogany and the neck is rosewood and it features 22 jumbo frets, excellent Grovere tuners, TonePros Tom system, chrome harware, a beautiful creme colored binding on the neck and goergous mother of pearl 3-ply crown inlays. Mine came with a stunning see thru-cherry color finish. Its pickups are a decent pair of Duncan Designed HB-102s passive pickups in both the neck and bridge positions. However when I later changed the pickups it had a label of HB-103 so I wasn't really sure. Anyway it also comes with a 2 volume control and 1 tone control and a three way selecter Switch. All very nice features.

foundation_7
    nice review extremely well writtin out of all the reviews i looked for for this guitar this has been the best one
    synysterSG
    is this kind of like the same as the vengeance just with like different fret inlays and stuff?
    nAILZ
    alfiebradic wrote: i cant realy see the point of buying 1 instead of an SG.
    dude no ****ing way. for what you pay you get waaaay better action out of an s1. they may be a bit heavier, but they're extremely smooth and much better for metal based play, and still really good for any other style. i've played them before a few times and they blow an sg out of the water.
    TheFallen1328
    It looks goergous but accessing the higher frets is a pain in the ass due to the SG sort-of body The SG-type double cutaway body makes it easier to access higher frets. not a well written review
    slashNpage77
    my brother has an S-1. i've played it a few times, and its pretty nice. pinch harmonics come really easy. the neck isnt super fast, but its better than a majority of guitars of the same price. schecter makes a great instrument. and they have some of the best prices out there.
    EldonsName24
    Sweet! Zacky Vengeance plays this one except it's Left-Handed and Red (Rock On Zacky)
    Ben_Vengeance
    I've got a Vengeance Custom in left-handed it's virtually the same guitar just swap the duncan designed with proper duncans and it's got a few different graphics on it. really decent guitars though, but you're right about the fragile thing, the see thru cherry finish over it cracks really easy I recommend these to very careful people XD
    =-P
    Hey! They Dont Sell Theses In ireland! And All the online shops ive tryed dont have them in white! Where The Fook Can I Get one????
    IPlaySchecter
    If you are mostly into metal, i recomend just buying a hellraiser. They come with active EMG's. And just my opinion, they are alot better looking.
    dsguitar
    I think schecter could charge $2000 for there guitars but they don't the charge 1/4 of that so that rocks. The Zacky Venengence version of this guitar is sexy though.