S-1 review by Schecter

Schecter: S-1

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Since I generally just play different styles of metal this look fits great. However the tone I've found is good for blues, country, metal, just about anything I've played this fits. The only place you might run into a problem is the strings. I've used all kinds of different strings and gauges to find the best sound. For my tastes and for the ease of playing I've found the Ernie Ball Classic.10 gauge fit the bill the best here.

Overall for the money, if you can find a good used one you cannot go wrong. Sadly Schecter has stopped making these new, though I have read in a few places this might be reissued during the summer of 2009. If that is the case and there are some slight upgrades this would be the perfect guitar for home for anyone, and great for almost any show or practice that you might be in.

Probably the most durable guitar that I've played in a long long time. While this is no Les Paul or Strat, this is no slouch either. It's been dropped a few times in the case (not from high though or with great speed) and nary an issue was had after. The internal wiring seems slightly less then perfect so be warned here. I've had to adjust that some, and tighten up the jack for the cable often. To the point that I've changed them out with something higher end to get it to stay put and sound good at all times.

The factor set-up was fairly complete. However there was a noticeable buzz on the top two strings with anything close to heavy gauge strings. Slight ajustments of the bridge and truss would needed to correct this. As well as matching adjustments of the pickups to compensate for that. The tuners are good enough, though if you're going to do a ton of bending I would recommend an upgrade there as well. The flat black finish is a nice touch on the tuners, however I think that Schecter could have found something a touch more exotic looking for this while keeping with the Standard quality of tuners that are had here.

Parts mostly made in Korea, setup in the US. This is the Vampira Limited Series. All white, with a special paint job and red bat fret inlays. With a picture of the original Queen of scream Vampira herself on the body. Out of the box this comes with very nice Seymour Duncan picks, great sound and tone. Came with a hardshell Coffin Case as well, which just adds to the effect.

enselmis
    lol first guy probly just doesnt know how to change his strings, "it sounded awesome but then it started to suck after a year" yeah strings dont last that long lol
    J.J.G.
    IPlaySchecter wrote: If you are mostly into metal, i recomend just buying a hellraiser. They come with active EMG's. And just my opinion, they are alot better looking.
    yeah they bring the new generation emg 89tw.
    No Seatbelt
    I wish they still made the S-1 Elite. I put EMG 81/85's in my Elite and it's the best f*cking guitar I've ever played. It's got a great neck and is an absolute joy to play. I suggest you all try out an S-1. And the S-1 beats an SG anyday. There is no comparison. It's like comparing Kat Von D to Rosey O'Donnell.
    meanppls7
    TheFallen1328 wrote: It looks goergous but accessing the higher frets is a pain in the ass due to the SG sort-of body The SG-type double cutaway body makes it easier to access higher frets. not a well written review
    actually no i played this today and i just couldnt really play past 19th fret. the cutway wasn't wide enough and I DONT HAVE big hands or fingers. i've played an SG so i know what to compare it to.
    IKnowItsWrong
    About saying it sounds like crap.. doesn't it sounds crap with the EMG's ? Modeling amp and active pickups ?
    iron_maiden93
    You were playing out of a Line 6, that's why it sucked. Sexy guitar, if i had money or a job, or any source of income rather than 20$ every 2 weeks from my mom, i'd buy it. Now i feel like a little kid...
    nacho_man715
    meanppls7 - it was the 19th. i have the same problem, but that's my only complaint after 2 years
    geoffh
    If you look at a picture of the Schecter S-1 next to the Gibson Longhorn the body shapes are identical just the electronic placement is different and the S-1 has its strap button on the upper horn which i think looks kinda weird
    Mohrta
    Hi guys, I'd rather buy this one or the S-1 Blackjack ? I need a second guitar to play in Drop C, heavy rythym and a bit of soloing but I really can't make up my mind between the two guitars :]
    artress22
    Personally I think this guitar's got it all- looks, sound, proper electronics, and a great price for what you're getting. Of course there ARE way better guitars out there, but if you want something of great value for under $1,000 that can cover a WIDE range of sounds, the S-1 is the way to go. I also don't believe whoever wrote the first review knows what they're talking about.