S-1 Elite review by Schecter

Schecter: S-1 Elite

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I mostly play thrash and metal and there are times it sounds muddy, but I put that on the pickups. I play through a Boss DS-1 running to a Marshall DFX35 or something like that (little practice guy). When played clean on the neck, you get incredibly rich and warm tones. It's a screamer when distorted on the bridge pickup. I get some hum but I'm playing heavy distortion through a little amp so it's gonna happen. Not enough to annoy though.

I bought this guitar because it was pretty to my eyes and when it got to me I was happy to hear how pretty it was to my ears. If you play really heavy you may want to change the pickups, but if you are a straight ahead rocker you should be fine. You can get some really moody tones playing clean which I really enjoy. It's a good guitar.

I had mine 8 months and play it at least 3 hours a day and haven't experienced any failures yet. I would never gig without a backup but I wouldn't worry about this one going out or anything like that. I've never had any problems with any of the hardware. My strap always stays where it's supposed to which is reassuring. All of the knobs and the 3-way switch seem to be durable. Nothing has happened that would make me think otherwise.

I pulled mine out of the box and started playing immediately. They're made in Asia somewhere, and set up in America before being sent to the buyer. I bought mine with the grey mist finish and it looks gorgeous. The rest of the body is a dark maple and the binding looks really good with the neck inlays. It has 22 jumbo frets that make playing incredibly easy. No problems with the action, but I'm not the type of player that worries about action too much as long as I'm comfortable. I have big hands so sometimes I get caught up in the cutaway when trying to play the highest notes. I bought this guitar based on the looks knowing I could make change out hardware if I wans't happy with the sound.

Look at what the other guys wrote to get the features. The only feature problem I have with it are the Seymour Duncans. They're passive and sound weak sometimes. I'm putting EMGs in mine. Sting through body means changing strings takes no time. I've heard of them having intonation problems but haven't experienced any myself. gover tuners keep everything sounding the way it should. Do not buy the Schecter case for this guitar because it is a steaming pile of crap.