Solo-6 Limited Edition review by Schecter

Schecter: Solo-6 Limited Edition

I play mostly heavy music (hardcore, metalcore, death metal), and this guitar certainly fits that genre. I play it through either a Vox VT-30 or a solid state Marshall half-stack (I can't recall the exact model, it's an older one), and pedals I use include BOSS: Metal Zone MT-2, Overdrive OD-3, and Digital Delay DD-3. In middle position it has a great balanced sound and is good for both heavy chugging riffs as well as hot licks. I use the neck position for super heavy low parts that range mostly on the 6th string and lower frets. The bridge position is thinner but harnesses the more old-school dirty metal sound for nice tone-packed licks and squealing pinches. One thing however is that the tone of the guitar is very dark. This is great for many heavy styles, however there are times when I'm playing a particular part and wishing it were brighter. You can compensate with the guitar's controls as well as amp settings, but you still won't get it to Shine like some guitars. Furthermore, on clean channels I sometimes get fuzz when playing on higher volumes. This isn't a problem with the guitar, it's the nature of the high output EMG's, however it's certainly something to take note of. Then again, I've been told that playing through a noise gate could help solve this problem.

This is definitely a great guitar for anyone who plays heavy music but still demands some versatility. I've been playing for 3 years, this being my third and favorite guitar out of a Vantage strat-copy and a B.C. Rich Warlock. I did months of research and consideration prior to this purchase. Other guitars that I looked at included ESP/LTD models, Jackson guitars, Ibanez, as well as a custom Gibson Longhorn w/ EMG's. I wouldn't replace this guitar with any of the those brands at the same price. If it were stolen or lost I would be very angry, but definitely buy another one (or a similar one, seeing as it's a limited model). For the price there really is no better guitar in my opinion. The step-up from this would probably be one of the more expensive ESP's, Jackson's, or Prestige Ibanez. Even among those guitars, this axe demands respect.

This guitar is definitely reliable. The hardware is good quality and will last a long time without excess abuse. The strap buttons are no exception. I have used it live without a backup and not been nervous at all, this baby's built to last. Also the finish has been flawless, even with some careless bangs on my part.

The guitar was set-up great. The action was just to my liking (low, but not too low), and the pickups were perfectly adjusted. Everything was satisfactory. I'm giving this an 8 because it's not something that I think is uniquely good about this guitar, set-ups are generally pretty good these days especially for Schecters.

Made in South Korea in 2009 Mahogany Body Set 3 pc. Mahogany Neck w/ Ultra Access Scale: 25.5" Ebony Fingerboard 24 Jumbo Frets Mother of Pearl "Split Crown" Inlays Crme Binding Chrome Covered Active EMG 81/85 2 Vol Knobs, 1 Tone Knob, 3-Way P.U. Selector Tone Pros System Bridge Graph Tech Nut Grover Tuners with Pearl Buttons Chrome Hardware Gloss Black Finish Features are really outstanding for the price, I challenge you to find a better value. The EMG's lived up to their reputation, the Ultra access neck Killer for soloing and makes it easy to utilize the 24 fret range. Controls were standard, nothing outstanding but didn't disappoint. When viewing the guitar online before I bought it the finish didn't really stand out to me (it was the only one this guitar came in) but in person it looks fantastic- dark yet somewhat classy. The body style is also really cool, one of the better interpretations of the Les Paul that I have seen. The bridge is fine, not awesome but I specifically chose it over a model with a tremolo (because I Switch tunings often), so it's what I expected. Ebony fretboard is crisp and fast. All-in-all I'm very pleased with the features. They aren't all totally top-notch, but any upgrade is going to cost you at least $250 more.

themelodicdeathshow
    VeNgeaNce_4444
    I guess you could say I'm used to having bigger wood in my hand.
    ha.I love my Ibanez neck. it's thin and super easy to play. i like the flat shape, but its all a matter of opinion and playing styles, just like guitars.
    Mylerx
    They are EMG's and I love the how they look. I heard they only made 200 of these to which is pretty cool Im glad I jumped on one when I saw it.
    nonpartisan
    Ah... religious wars... loving it. I like the Ibanez neck, though their pups are a bit lacking. I liked the Schecter neck a little more and the too expensive PRS neck even more. Different Solo-6 versions have Duncan the vs EMG's. As observed the Duncans have metal covers. The Duncan's have the sound I want. Perhaps next year...
    Kosh H
    It's definitely personal preference. I have massive hands, so a Wizard neck is too small. I can almost wrap my hand around it twice hahaha So i prefer the thicker necks I.E Schecter and Gibson.
    GibsonMan321
    The only Ibanez that i've played and liked was a $2500 JEM, all the others that i've played were terrible. I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (Not one of the newer models, an older one with the EMG 81/85 combo) and it's wonderful. It does have a thicker neck, but i like that. However if I had 2500 to spend on a guitar, I would probably get a JEM since it was awesome and I liked the neck as well. I don't really have a neck preference but Schecters' necks are great and they are unbeatable guitars at the price.
    Chris Schementi
    Necks are a preference. Thinner does not mean better. Thats like saying humbuckers are better than single coils. I used to own an Ibanez with a Wizard neck, and then got my Parker, which has a Gibson SG shaped neck. I love the thicker neck so much better, but that's just me. The last time I thought thinner necks were better was when I thought Line 6 Spider II's were the best amps ever made.
    Noslo13
    seemeel : Necks are personal. But it's obvious that Strats are the best guitars, and have been since 1954.
    Telecasters >>>>> Strats. And Ibanez JEM7s > Teles.
    themelodicdeathshow
    slipknot_420 wrote: Im almost 100% sure that the solo 6 limited does not have emg 81/85 it comes standard with chrome covered seymour duncan jb sh-4 in the bridge and a sh-1 in the neck! If im right its pretty funny that you think you have chrome covered emgs lol...
    Actually i think im wrong hence the picture never seen this yet. Whoops
    MetalManiac_86
    EpiExplorer wrote: Kosh H wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: FatLouie wrote: I think Schecter makes the best guitars in this range. I have 3 schecters myself - C-1 Elite, Black Hawk & 39' Hot Rod. They have a very comfortable neck and an amazing sound! Can't recommend enough... Schechter necks are terrible, too wide in every angle and they give a lot of friction. Best necks in the range are Ibanez because they're thin and smooth and are just the right width for speedy playing. Infact Ibanez have the best necks period unless you go into the higher realms of tax haven. You sir, obviously have no Idea as to what you are talking about. Unless all you care about is Shredding Ibanez's necks are terrible. and Ibanez's pickups sound awful. Well I know that Ibanez goes very downhill once you get passed the prestige nametag, they do make so excellent necks. Gibson necks are close enough and are good too but Schechter and ESP are by far the worst necks I've played with. B.C.Rich are pretty close to Gibson too depending on the guitar. Fender necks are alright but at times its almost like an accoustic.
    Well... its all personal preference dude. To me, Ibanez necks are the worst. And what makes you think everyone is shredding?? Even if so, I can shred and play better in general with a more thicker neck. Too thin sucks for me. I guess you could say I'm used to having bigger wood in my hand.
    r0ckth3d34n
    Uh... paper is to Wizard neck and trunk is to Gibson/Schecter You have no idea what you're saying. Wizard necks and ESP Thin-U's are so much a like in almost every way. Wizard's are slightly more rounded and ESP's are slightly flatter, but that's about the only difference. B.C. Rich is all over the place. Their necks go from Thin-U to pretty close to 60's style Gibson necks and even a little thicker. Gibson's are all over the place. You've got so many different eras of Gibson necks that you can't just go and say that "a B.C. Rich is pretty close to Gibson." You have to know what year Gibson neck and/or hybrid style neck you're talking about. Fender necks are modern C-shaped, some even soft V shaped. With Modern C, typically the top end is tapered off a little more narrow and the bottom end is more rounded, depending on the kind of Fender you're talking about. And soft V, well looks like a slightly rounded V and makes a point. Speaking on acoustic necks, the only acoustic I've ever played that felt like a Fender, was coincidentally, a Fender acoustic. What are you talking about in that first sentence, anyway? Are you trying to say that the Prestige line is significantly worse than anything below it? What are you comparing to a Gibson neck? Majority of the posts you have on these reviews are so full of rubbish and make no sense. Just stop, for all of us.
    r0ckth3d34n
    Yeah I -1 everything EpiExplorer says. I hate Ibanez necks. They're like bound to break in my hands, and my hands cramp because there's no depth or grip or anything to hang on to. Schecter necks are incredibly Gibson-esque and smooth. I waxed my Schecter's neck and it almost feels like a satin neck now. I can shred just as fast on a Schecter neck as I can on almost any other neck. The neck size thing is a total scam. It's all in your mind. I mean, if a neck isn't comfortable, that's one thing. I can't really find and uncomfortable neck that I can't play worse on than another neck. If anything, the neck on the Schecter I have makes playing barre chords a helluva lot easier than on the neck of my Dean... and playing higher frets is easier... everything is easier on the Schecter for me. But damn, those Wizard necks... the only one I ever kind of liked was a lacquered Wizard II on an ICT700.
    Kosh H
    EpiExplorer
    EvoLancer211 wrote: Yes other then the neck I would agree that Schecter's are great
    For Mrs Synyster Gates, yeah.
    FatLouie