Sunset Deluxe review by Schecter

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Schecter: Sunset Deluxe

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

I play mostly metal and hard rock, and it suits it enough to please me. I usually use it with a DigiTech RP50 and it gives me a pretty nice metal tone, but the pickups are really muddy! Very little definition, and it sounds boomy through everything! It also tends to get noisy when used on a really high gain amp without a noise gate. Cleans are much better, however, and it gives a really mellow clean tone, and a bit brighter, but not overly bright, tone with the coil tap on. The guitar can make a nice array of sounds, but it is limited by it's muddy pickups.

Overall, it was a great guitar when I started playing, but I'm starting to grow out of it. I've been playing for about a year, and I'm looking forward to upgrade soon, because it's starting to wear down. If it were stolen, I'd definitely have to get something else, but it is a really nice guitar, and it served me well, but I'm not sure how much more it could take.

The guitar easily stood up to the few gigs I've done, and seems pretty solid. After owning it for a while, however, some flaws are coming out. The strap buttons, as I have mentioned before, suck. The hardware is almost worn off of the volume knobs, and parts of the Floyd Rose are spotty. The Floyd also decided to suck after about 4 months, so I had to block it, just to make the guitar usable. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup, but I wouldn't use any guitar without a backup.

The guitar was set up great from the factory, came in Eb with only a slight bit of buzz, but once the action was raised a bit, it was perfect. Pickups were a bit low for my tastes, but 20 seconds with a screwdriver fixed that. The bridge route was pretty good, but it did have a scratch in the spring cavity, but no one sees that, so no big deal. The guitar came in pretty much perfect condition, no bad wood or high frets, everything was great, except for the strap buttons. I was playing and all of a sudden, the strap button itself ripped out. Luckily, I caught it before it hit floor, or it could have done some serious damage.

Made in Korea in 08. Medium sized maple neck, 24 Jumbo frets, and rosewood fretboard. Standard Superstrat style, made with basswood, with a jet black finish. Liscenced Floyd Rose, 3-way with coil tap on the tone pot, and 2 volume pots. Came with 2 Schecter Diamond series pickups, and also Schecter's tuners. Came with a cheaply made cable.

anttown
    I have a Schecter Extrem 006 and it was my very first guitar. I was pleased with it for about 1.5 years but then, as you said, the flaws began to surfice. I changed the pickups, terrible sound pickups: standard Dimond, to PRS SE standard pickups and that did a lot to the guitar. It sound quite well now but due to the thick lac the tone and sustain dies very quickly. I beginning to think that Schecter dose not have any good guitars under 1500 dollar....
    anttown
    A correction erhm... What i meant to say was that i was beginning to think that Schecter does not have any good guitars under 1000 dollars. My currency are swedish crowns so i made a miss calculation
    Demarkos
    Bass's are a toatal different ball game with schecter completly the Stilleto elite is almost to good to be true
    jetwash69
    What happened w/the Floyd @ 4 months? String changes? Was everything done right? Is there any actual damage to the trem? If the trem is really shot, then why not upgrade to an OFR instead of getting a whole new guitar? Also, if the finish wearing off the knobs really bugs you, why not buy some new knobs for like $10? As for the pups, when you only pay $200 for a guitar, you should expect to replace the pups. A set of good pups alone will run from $125 - $500.
    The^Unforgiven
    If you maintain a tremolo well, it won't go bad in 4 months all by itself... I'd recommend checking the springs and the saddles, as besides the screws they're pretty much the only parts that wear down on a FR type trem...
    TheBigProjekt
    The tremolo was ok, but once I dove or pulled up, it pulled the G out of tune. I took it to a local shop to see if it was fixable, but they said they couldn't really do much, and that I had it set up pretty well. I don't really want to sink anymore money into a starter guitar, and I'd rather put it towards a higher end guitar.
    jetwash69
    OK, since it's not worth any money and it's just taking up space, mail it to me. I'd be happy to help you out like that : No charge.
    frantic_saint
    I got one for my b-day. Nice and all but after about 3 months my whammy bar completley fell out. Everything that held it in there fell out. Pissed me off. So i am playing without.
    Diabsoule
    yeah, I own this guitar and I suppose I lucked out. after 2 years its holding up strong! I replaced those stock schecter pickups with active EMG 81-85s and the quality of the sound greatly increased! with replacing the pickups all the electrical was also obvously replaced. The neck is fast and made with no imperfections to say the least. All I would like though would be that badass look of some nice custom inlays but im not complaining. The body is also plain and bulky however surprisingly light. I definately lucked out however paid alot more than 200 dollers I'll say that for sure haha. My bill ran me about 400 but thats what you get from small town guitar shops! I give it a 8.5 XD
    Diabsoule
    Oh and as everyone is saying, Your tremelo should be fine. dont mess around with them unless you know what your doing I learned that the hard way with my first guitar! Usually a noob mistake. You usually get what you pay for as far as quality goes.
    Braxton12
    wow wtf i have a sunset deluxe and it is the best.....seriosuly schecter makes the best guitars...there isnt one thing wrong with my sunset you obviously dont know how to set up a FR cuz i am always using my tremolo and i only have to tune my guitar up to 4 times a month. the only thing wrong with it is the bridge unit and the knobs are a lil tarnished and the pickups are definitely not muddy i payed 300 for mine and all around its a baddass guitar your ****ed in the head