Synyster Gates Custom-S review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom-S

Purchased from: eBay

Well as most people reading this review will probably be Avenged Sevenfold fans, I better say it is the best guitar I have ever played A7X songs on. It is perfect for metal and if you want to switch to a clean tone it will sound warm and crisp. I am currently using this guitar through a Line 6 Floor POD Plus which is plugged into a Line 6 Spider IV 30. I have set custom tones on this Floor Pod and it sounds brilliant through it. I have to say the Sustainiac is SO worth having, you can easily get the sound at the end of "So Far Away" just by turning the pickup on at a low volume, whereas before you would have to stand in front of a loud amp which isn't very practical. The variety of sounds you can get with it (for a signature guitar) are not limited and all of the stuff I have tried to play on it has worked amazingly. The only downside soundwise I have towards this guitar is that the strings vibrate a lot when you turn the pickup on because of the "magnetic field" it produces but it won't take very long to get used to it.

Well this guitar is the perfect match for the music I play (Avenged Sevenfold, obviously) and it sounds brilliant. I have now been playing guitar for five years and the other guitar I had that I used for metal was an Ibanez RG370DXL which is pretty cheap but after the original neck pickup broke I replaced them with Invaders in the neck and bridge position and a HOT Rail in the middle. This was good but what I really wanted was to have more sustain and only two pickups because the HOT Rail is good but when faced with two Invaders it seems to be quieter even if I raise it up. The Custom-S solves both of these problems with the "infinite" Sustainiac and doesn't have a middle pickup. Also the hardware on the Ibanez was of a satisfactory standard and it was the first guitar I had with a Floyd Rose style bridge but now I have got the Schecter I can see where my money has gone because everything is of that higher quality. This guitar is perfect for me and what I want to do. I would recommend it over the Custom because you have all of Syn's capabilities in one guitar, even though it is that bit extra. Also the price is good because to get the Sustainiac installed on a guitar it would cost $200-$250 so Schecter are pretty much charging you the installing price on top of the original Custom.

Seeing as Synyster Gates plays this guitar it will withstand live playing and the hardware on it is of the highest quality so it will definitely last a long time before I will need to get it repaired. The strap buttons seemed solid enough when it arrived but after an hour or so of having it I have replaced them for Schaller strap locks which hold in the holes perfectly. The finish is brilliant but the one problem I could potentially see with this guitar would be the battery running out in the middle of a gig if it isn't replaced often enough. Also I tend to leave my guitars plugged into the amp for a long time without playing it and after looking at the manual it says that putting a jack lead into it puts the pickup into standby which lasts 250 hours so a long time but I don't want to be running it down unnecessarily.

The Floyd Rose was perfectly set up with it being perfectly flat. I have read part of the instruction manual and it said something about the optimum position for the pickup and when I picked the guitar up and had a look at it, it was in the optimum position. The way Schecter have set this guitar up is 100% perfect and I know I am giving a 10 but there was genuinely nothing wrong with it.

Made in South Korea and it includes a 24 fret neck with a scale of 25.5". The neck is three piece mahogany with an ebony fretboard with the SYN and deathbat inlays. This guitar has a Floyd Rose 1000 series tremolo system and has a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge position and a Sustainiac driver in the neck position which is an active pickup. It features one volume knob, one tone knob, three way toggle for the pickups, an on/off mini toggle for the Sustainiac and a three way mini toggle to switch between the normal mode, mix mode and harmonic mode. The guitar also has grover 18:1 tuners and didn't come with any accessories.

Sakke
    NO, just no. Even though it may sound harsh, play through something less digital and less modeling and see how you really like the guitar's sound.
    Minivirus2
    TomWhaley
    OxMxGxTACOS wrote: does the guitar make you as gay and egotistical as him too?
    Considering that Gates has a wife and he's actually a pretty laid back, very non egotistical player, than probably not.
    JagerSlushy
    $1200 for a guitar made in south korea? that blows
    pianoman43092
    $1200 for a guitar made in Korea that would cost $2000 if manufactured in the United states. I've played $3000 "made in u.s.a." guitars that don't feel or sound half as amazing as this guitar. Not saying that I haven't played amazing models that were made here, but $1200 is worth spending on this guitar.
    iTOASTER
    Adam124
    Such a shame that every guitar review has it played through a line 6 spider
    SlashWannabe1
    Minivirus2
    ebmusicman16 wrote: iTOASTER wrote: I don't think playing through a Line 6 will let you get the true tone from the guitar as they are very digital amps, what you need to do is invest in a Peavey 5150, then come back and report the difference. I have a friend who play through a Fender twin reverb thing and it sounds great through that.
    You're missing the point. He's not saying that you need a Peavey exclusively, he's just saying that Line 6 amps are regarded as very digital sounding. Having owned a Line 6 Spider III when I was new, I'm well versed on the sounds it can produce. Since I upgraded to a fully tube amp, I've been astonished at how much better my setup sounds in general. Regardless of if you use a POD or not (which are also kind of shunned btw), your amp isn't going to sound any better than it's current limitations. If you plug into a tube amp/tube combo, you'll be able to fully explore the capabilities of the guitar you're reviewing. Sound, gear, guitars, etc. are all objective, but Line 6 is fairly reknown as a bad line of amps.
    ebmusicman16
    La_Deux_Machina wrote: Tired of everyone ratting on line 6. I have a Vetta. Stop talking crap about the company because its the "cool" thing to do. Come at me with your amp and we'll see who has a better sound and who's amp is more versatile. Just because I own a line 6 product doesn't mean I don't know jack about playing guitar. I understand where everyones coming from for the spyders...but get it straight. Its really dam annoying after every review seeing who's gonna be the first cool dude talking crap about line 6.
    Thank you! I know they are not the best amps in the world but according to this I should have at least 5 other amps each costing 1000! Some of us don't have that sort of money and when you are not doing a live show there is no need for a huge 100 watt thing.
    Anjohl
    A Line 6 Digital Amp completely supercedes the tone of the guitar. You are just as well playing an acoustic guitar with a pickup in it, it will sound almost identical.
    BobbyFlamingo
    westley23j
    any digital modelling amp focuses on doing so many things that it fails to do any of them well. if people will finally start to understand this, the world would be a better place. i made the switch from digital modelling amps to all tube Fenders and Boogies. the difference is undeniable.
    ebmusicman16
    Minivirus2 wrote: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say SG probably doesn't play on a Korean made guitar. Just a hunch though.
    Well thats where you are wrong. I have been in touch with Schecter and they have confirmed that he plays guitars made in South Korea.
    a7x3dgfan
    BobbyFlamingo wrote: BwareDWare94 wrote: I wonder if this guitar is built strictly for players who are sloppy as hell live. hmmm, i've seen them twice live and creamed my jeans at everything syn did, zacky on the other hand can barely play in comparison.
    Zacky is still a beast, he actually wrote all of Second Heartbeat (or so I've heard) but since he's rhythm, he rarely gets to show of his talent as a brilliant guitarist.
    La_Deux_Machina
    jetwash69
    AAAaaayyy! wrote: its a cool guitar if your 14
    I'm several times older than that but I found standard version in a pawn shop, bought it for half price, put in a Sustainiac and a real Duncan SH-8 myself. The FR 1000 should be way better than the LFR on mine--the saddles have indentations at the string contact points after 3 years of use. Other than that no problems with it. The Sustainiac itself will cost about $250, then you need to route for the battery compartment, expand the control cavity and route for the switches, so $200 more for the factory install is a bargain. BTW, I happened to get a Marshall JVM 410h before I knew that Syn started using one (I had only seen him use Hughes & Kettner amps until about a year later). It only sounds a tiny bit better through the all tube Marshall half-stack than it sounds through my Digitech GNX4 or RP-355 direct into a PA. It sounds best through the GNX4 into the Marshall--definitely better than thru the Marsahll alone. But then some people don't like the JVM amps. I don't like the pimp stripes and could live without the signature fret board inlays, but I like it better than the regular Avengers because the headstock is more appropriate and I hate the carved tops they have. It plays great, but I wouldn't use it live since it's such an obvious sig model and I don't do A7X covers. BTW, I played my GNX4 through a Line 6 Spider III once and would never do it again. Just about as bad as my old Marshall MG30DFX. The POD circuitry doesn't get much better than the Spider circuitry until you get into the POD HDs.
    redcthulhu
    Played it at my local guitar shop through a Mesa Triple Rec. This thing roars, that's for sure. The FR is a pain in the ass, but it looks beautiful and is very well designed. Should be under a thousand IMO, especially for a Korean guitar. If you have the money to burn and you're into big sounds, go for it.
    PatVanHalen5150
    Aside from the butt ugly shape of the body, that's what I mainly look for in a guitar. A powerful humbucker that isn't an EMG and a Floyd Rose. The Sustainer is a nice touch as well.
    ebmusicman16
    SlashWannabe1 wrote: Saying you're playing a guitar through a Line6 Amp and saying it sounds good is like saying you have weather checked tires that could blow any minute but you can still drive from point A to B!. Yes sir! my confidence in your review is sky high! I just ignored it totally to be honest after reading "Line6". That aside good thing I've played one on a real amp and can tell you it rocks even though its ugly as F*ck! I played one of my friends Synyster Gates guitars identical to this with a Dimebucker in the bridge and it rocked for Metal in my Marshall Vintage Modern Half Stack, the Floyd Rose is amazing as well!.
    There is nothing wrong with the sound of this Line 6 amp because it is pretty much just acting as a speaker for my Floor Pod, which is a great bit of kit.
    ebmusicman16
    Adam124 wrote: Such a shame that every guitar review has it played through a line 6 spider
    because its a good amp.
    GuitarSlayer97
    This guitar is awesome i have the white with black stripes and i just love it and why the fuk does everyone have to trash talk this guitar stay way from the review if you dont like the guitar already this guitar is fuking great. To all the haters out there (regarding this review and guitar) FUCK YOU.
    eliastsagaris
    i have a question i love ths guitar from the first sight but i play mostly blues-rock and a little hard rock is that guitar for me?
    Blazingguns00
    works fine for me, its amazingly versatile, I get a shitty tone with anything heavier than metallica, but that's cause I'm playing a shitty fender mustang 10watt amp ~:L
    BwareDWare94
    I never said he couldn't play. I just said there's plenty of sloppiness involved in their live performance. Admittedly, I'm a fan of smoother, cleaner guitarists.