Synyster Gates Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom

Purchased from: Sound Control

I play a lot of heavy metal along with a bit of blues and I'm starting to incorporate the occasional bit of shred so this guitar is perfect for my playing style. I play through a Line 6 Spider II, which I know is out dated now but I still love the tonal capabilities of it, and the Syn Custom can sound like a heavenly chorus with the amp on clean, neck pickup selected at half tone and single coil selected. It can also sound like a monster with the bridge pickup, full tone and double coil selected and the amp on full metal setting. The tonal range of the guitar is astounding! I have heard that with the Syn Standard, the pickups can give a low hum sometimes, but I honestly don't get any buzz from the guitar at all, other than the usual amp noise once the volume gets cranked up. I haven't altered the electronics (or the guitar for that matter) in any way, so the factory set up is really good. The coil tap feature is great for letting you get a whole range of sounds from the guitar, whether you want a single coil sound for playing some light Pink Floyd stuff that will give you a bright and sharp sound that can ring through the air. And with the tap giving a full bridge humbucker it's possible to get a wall of sound from the guitar that manages to be full and punchy without wandering into the thick and muddy category. The guitar is very clean with its sound no matter how much distortion I pile on to the amp.

This guitar is perfect for the metal music that I play, the sound, feel, look, everything all matches up perfectly. I've been playing for a couple of years now, and I've played a Crafter cruiser, G2 X300 and a Vintage SG, the Vintage SG being my favourite after many modifications, and I believe that this guitar is the end of my Quest for my perfect guitar. I tried a couple of other guitars before buying this, from the Dime Razor, to the Ibanez Jem, and eve the Santana PRS, and finally settled on this guitar for it's sheer brilliance. If it were stolen from me, then I would definitely replace it with the same guitar, nothing else. I love everything about it, from the fancy neck inlays, to the body artwork, to the headstock artwork, to the feel, the playability, the usability, eveyrhting, and the only thing I would even come close to faulting is the strap buttons which I'm working on getting sorted. Just wish I had a hard case for it! Currently using my bass guitar bag as it has more room for that cheeky wee spike!

This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. The body isn't too heavy at all despite what I've heard about mahogany body guitars. The Floyd Rose will definitely withstand the abuse of regular dive bombs etc. My main concern lies with the strap buttons. They are real good, don't get me wrong, but I'm used to my screw-on iron cross strap buttons on my SG that I had custom fitted and I'm concerned about the strap possibly popping off, thinking about investing in some form of strap lock. I've only recently bought the guitar but even at that, I would still trust this as my only guitar at a gig, based on looks, sound, everything, the works. And the varnished surface is completely smooth, it's been done to perfection.

I found the action to be very satisfactory, it's perfect for my playing anyway and I haven't had to alter it in any way at all. In fact, I haven't had to alter one single thing with the guitar apart from putting it into drop D tuning (as it came in Standard). The locking trem system came perfectly set up and played like a dream from the first second I picked it up. The pickups are really well adjusted, not too low that any volume or power is lost, but not too high that the strings start popping onto the magnets when you start abusing that trem. The bridge gap is well routed, I had to give it a little clean as it was a little dusty, but that was maybe me just being picky. But there were no sharp edges, all was well finished. The body in general was in good condition with no flaws on it. It was in need of a polish due to dust and some handling marks on it, but apart from that, no problems at all.

This guitar has 24 jumbo frets which make playing really easy on the left hand (assuming you're a left handed player). The mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard is just a dream to play, it's been cut not too chunky yet not too thin either with a fantastic D curve on it which allows you to get a good grip without limiting movement in any way at all. The shape of the body is very comfortable and the guitar as a whole is well balanced which makes playing while standing a dream. The Floyd Rose bridge makes light work of any trem use and abuse, and you can squeal all the way to the top and dive all the way to the bottom and it will return to perfect tuning every time. The Custom Signature comes with Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders installed, a fantastic pickup which not only fits the look of the guitar but also pumps out a sound worthy of the artist and the guitar. Controls include volume, three way selector and tone control (which has push-pull coil tap built into it). Tuners are Grover which means you have fantastic quality right from the word go. However, as I bought it, it did not come with a hard case and no trem arm was included although I managed to squirrel a trem arm and a soft case for free from the store.

BFun
    looks like poo imo..... no doubt its good. just looks like poo...
    MxGuitar
    haha, im gonna make a guitar collection, there like 30 guitars, this one is DEFENATLY not one i would add to it
    mhylands
    Yeah, the guitar got it's name from Brian "Synyster Gates" Haner of A7X. It also has the bat icon of the band. Still, it's a magnificent guitar to play, I just personally don't like the look of it.
    AbstractDeth7X
    ridleyredraider
    I have one, and all I have to say is that chicks LOVE this guitar, I promise. After all, isn't that the real reason we all get in a band in the first place? I've gigged with it and get so many more compliments on it than I do with my Wine Red Gibson Studio with EMG's. Besides, would you not go on stage with a Gibson Wylde Bullseye, or an RR signature just because it's not "yours?" We all have idols, so who cares if you go on stage with one of their guitars?
    TaoSmith
    aren't those guitars the signature models and no one complains about signature??
    TaoSmith
    what about SG Angus or lespaul Zakk Wylde??? aren't those guitars the signature models and no one complains about signature but persoanlly if Schecter didn't put "SYN" inlay on the guitar, they would probably be more popular (but I'm buying one anyways)
    BassPlayer18269
    I bought one of these 4 days ago and haven't put it down. I like everything about it, and have long been an Avenged Sevenfold fan so I don't mind the death bat inlays and such. I was originally going to get a Hellraiser C-1, but was much happier with this having the Seymour Duncan Invaders, much cleaner sounding. Also love the Floyd Rose, this thing screams. Its understandable for not wanting to play someone else's signature series on stage, I was looking for a versatile guitar for people to use in my studio. Having the ability to switch the pickups from humbucking to single coil is a nice little feature too, this guitar has tons of sounds. If you don't mind the A7X flashiness it is a great piece, I'd recommend it to anyone.
    torYxx
    i agree with alot of you whats the matter of having a signature? I mean we all copy licks from our favorite players in majority of the music we create.Music is a cycle lets face it.Reason why i like signatures alot is there different strange features it has than regular guitars.Plus to make or have your own custom guitar let alone different add on specs to your own guitars adds up and it gets really pricey.
    minivia
    and whats with the skull and top hat on the head, theres only one guy who can have the top hat
    ScorpionEater
    Hi there, it was me who reviewed this guitar, had to register to leave this comment though! yeah i didn't pay that price, thats the converted price. I'm actually from Scotland and it was only 699 over here which is a bargain! Its just the conversion rate that makes it look so high. I've been reading all the comments here and yes, i know it's a signature model and if that aint your thing then fair enough. And as far as the Invader sound, they sound perfect to me, plenty of bite but good raw power behind them too and plenty of muscle. I have 5 other guitars too and this is definitely the best one in my collection. Oh btw, was at an avenged sevenfold gig on sunday and managed to get synyster's guitar pick!!!
    Gorre
    its frikin awesome, i might get one, try dunlop strap locks, or dimarzio cliplok strap, or whatever the hell it is lol.
    gab4554
    keavader
    The skeleton with the top hat is the brand thing of the guitar. But God that A7X bat and SYN inlays are freakin' cool! not too big on the design of the body, but it's still nice. not worth that kind of emoney, even to a hardcore A7X fan.
    retrogoth3
    i love this guitar, ilovesynestergates i love avenged sevonfold i love my abby! im a loving person
    Nirvana388
    mp3stalin
    Nirvana388 wrote: doesn't have someone's name in the inlays, it's the name of the guitar... that is one badass looking guitar, not something I'd expect from shecter, that's sick
    umm... the inlays look like: " * S Y N * * * " sorry... looks to me like his name.
    revengedspite
    I agree with most other people, I love the look of the guitar but I couldn't get on stage and play someone else's guitar, plus I'm 15 so its slightly pricey. I'm gunna try and get the Revenger Floyd Rose instead, same shape and same brand but it could be mine
    jmf283
    yep, played it, sounds nice looks like garbage. Just keep in mind, you'll probably never be able to sell such a horrible looking thing. So be prepared to look at that ugly thing for the rest of your life.
    ham-of-god
    huh not a big fan of the band but my freind owns one of these and they are a really good buy definitely sound killer plugged to a marshal....but what doesnt sound good through a marshal
    Shabalaba
    Synyster Gates wrote: I played one and if you can tolerate feeling that much inlay then be my guest but to me it starts to feel like im playing on a plastic layer between the strings and the neck
    lol thats a fan of synyster aswell lol. I dont like the shape of it
    Synyster Gates
    Triviutallica
    Oh that's my dream guitar played by my dream guy and affording it is a dream too so i guess as i don't have any of those; my life is a nightmare!
    eskilidder
    i just ordered one of these from a US website called gearhounds. They retail for $1299 US and the standard retails for $899 US. Gearhounds do the custom for $899 US and the standard for $699 US. Its a great deal and for something like 70 bucks more they give you a matching hardcase... yeah i know bit stingy on the case but still. I also live in australia and theyve given me free shipping on it. The whole lot: Syn gates custom and case came to just over $1000 AU which is pretty good since over here the guitar retails for over $2100, and i paid $2500 AU for my rr1 haha. Ive also played it and even though its a sig guitar and playin a guitar with another dudes name on it is gay, it really is probably one of the best guitars ive played for feel and comfort and it even sounds awesome. I really like the shape, feel and sound of it, just not the 'pimp stripe' shit and the inlays. Solid black woulda been better for me and more simple inlays. Only reason i got this guitar over the Hellraiser-Avenger was for the pickups (and headstock, the normal avenger's looks gay), as i already have EMG's on my Jackson RR1 which i put on myself, they give a really cool sound but i want something a bit different, no point having two guitars with the same pickups or the difference in sound wont be great. Also i play through a peavey 5150 head which i bought 3 years ago, both sound great through it and i love the whammy.
    dylan87654321
    i would get it if didnt have another dudes name on it i hate sig guitars it wouldve been mad if shecter released this as one of high end models not a sig
    revengedspite
    I agree with everything before, I love the look of the guitar but I couldn't get on stage with someone else's guitar, and i'm 15 so i can't afford that much, i'm gunna try to get the Revenger with the floyd rose, same shape, same brand but more in my price range and it can be mine
    FearBefore
    I'm not sure how this guitar would balance when playing stood up. That long horn looks problematic. Not fond of the 'pinstripe' paintjob either. But on the whole, it's a pretty guitar.
    someone2492
    i dont know if i would want guitar with a name on it but that is the name of the guitar. by the way to the review writer, the american price is around $899.99 or better at any store you go to so thats 439.49 in pounds. thats why everyone thinks it is so expensive.
    fagelamusgtr
    i want this guitar so bad. This pickups, trem., neck and everything look flawless. I never played it, but it sure as hell ain't your grandpa's guitar!
    the_bi99man
    And holy crap I just looked at the "price paid" line, and now I know why everyone's complaining about the price. Dude, you got screwed. $1,279?! I can go buy the exact same guitar at a local shop in my town called "Grassroots Guitar" for $800 even.
    the_bi99man
    gab4554 wrote: Before i offend anyone : I love A7x and SYN. Nice guitar (good shape, color inlays etc) and the sound must be awsome.. but why take a guitar that isnt yours at all... I dont see the point of buying Band's guitar.. Id make my own custom guitar instead of buying their guitar.. if i was a popular guitarist like him with my own custom guitar i wouldnt sell copies of my guitar.
    That's also the main reason that I kind of ruled out this guitar when I was shopping for one even though I really liked the sound and look. If I were a guitar collector, then hell yes I would buy artist custom guitars from bands/guitarists that I like. But I only own one guitar and a bass, and if my only guitar were an artist's custom, I'd just feel like a tool.
    the_bi99man
    AbstractDeth7X wrote: I want one soooo bad. I played one in guitar center a while back and I fell in love with it. It makes my hellraiser seem like crap.
    I don't know about that. I just bought a Hellraiser a few weeks ago and it pretty much destroyed the Syn Custom that was at the shop. And why is everyone talking about the price, it's cheaper than my Hellraiser by about $200 (but my Hellraiser came with a Floyd Rose trem and nutlocks, which, I didn't even realize until shopping around further, apparently aren't standard on a Hellraiser). It probably also helps that I keep my Hellraiser in DGCFAD, so it just sounds like a red-eyed beast from hell, coming to eat your flesh and rape your soul.
    Amuro Jay
    i think alot of ppl confuse this with the synyster standard and say 'o i played it and its teh p00pz0rs'. its actually pretty good. i just dont like the shape. or the price