Synyster Gates Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom

Price paid: € 1000

Purchased from: Schecter

I aminly play a lot of heavy metal and shredding so this guitar is perfect for my playing style, I play a bit of the blues too and it's brilliant for that too. I use a Fender FM 212 DSP amp and I can get a sweet metal tone and I can produce that Avenged Sevenfold sound too! The Syn Custom can produce a heavenly sound with the amp on clean with single coil selected. It can also sound like a Demon on the bridge pickup, full tone and double coil selected and the amp on full metal setting. The tone capabilities of the guitar is astounding! I haven't altered the guitar in any way, so the factory set up is really good. The coil tap feature is brilliant, you get a whole range of sounds from the guitar, whether you want a single coil sound for playing some light stuff that will give you a bright and sharp sound that can ring throughout the place. And with the tap giving a full bridge humbucker it's possible to get a brilliant sound from the guitar that manages to be full and strong without wandering into the messy and rough category. The guitar is very clean with it's sound no matter how much distortion you may select! This is just perfect, you couldn't beat this!

I did research on my next and perfect guitar and this was the one! What can I say, it's brilliant for Metal and Hard Rock, Heavenly for Shredding and Sweep picking! The Sound is unbelievable, it just cannot be faulted, it's perfect! I've been playing for over a year now, I have got a Crafter Cruiser ST-120, a SX Les Paul and a Westfield Les Paul, I've studied a lot on music and guitar and I have gained great experience but this was a great boost to that and I have gained great skills from it all! What I would have asked? How did you make such a brilliant guitar? I'm so pleased with this guitar, never been as pleased with an instrument! If it was stolen I would kill the bastard Who did it and get another one (I even got insurance on it) I love the guitar, everything about it, I know it was pricey but it was worth it and my advice is spend the extra money for this model, it's worth it! I don't hate anything in this behemoth, I only hate those Who don't give it a chance! Like I said earlier, I did some research and I compared it to Deans, Fenders, ESP's, Gibsons etc and it suited me more because of it's features and performance! it's a heavenly piece of work!

This guitar will withstand Live playing. The body isn't too heavy at all despite what I've experienced with mahogany body guitars. The hardware is hard and tough, I have complete Faith in this guitar reliability, I solidly believe that this will be passed onto my first son! The Floyd Rose will withstand the abuse of dive bombs and keep it in perfect tuning. The Strap Buttons are perfectly solid I recently bought the guitar but even at that, I would still trust this as my main guitar at a gig, based on the look, sound, performance, the whole lot and the varnished surface is completely smooth and give a Shine that will turn heads, it's been done to complete perfection.

I found the action to be perfectly set-up, it's perfect for my playing and techniques, it's brilliant in Standard or Drop D tuning. The locking tremolo system came perfect and played like a dream from the second it was placed in my hands. The pickups are brilliantly adjusted, not so low that any volume or power is lost giving great strength, but not so high that the strings start hitting the magnets when you start preforming Dive Bombs that tremolo. The bridge gap is well done, it was all a good finish. The lock nut at the end of the neck keeps it in perfect and brilliant tune! The body in general was in Brilliant condition, I could not fault it in anyway.

This guitar has got 24 Jumbo Frets, it's a dream for shredding and sweep picking! The mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard is just a dream to play, with an amazing D curve on it which allows you to get a good grip and allows great pleasure playing. The shape of the body is based on the Avenger, very comfortable and the guitar is well balanced playing while Sitting or standing. The Licensed Floyd Rose bridge is just brilliant, and you can go all the way to the top and dive all the way to the bottom and it will always remain to perfect tuning (Compared to my Crafter Cruiser St-120). The Custom Signature Model comes with Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders, a Heavenly pickup which not only looks Brilliant on the Guitar but Unleashes a sound that would make anyone think you were actually Synyster Gates himself. The Controls have a volume, three way selector and tone control which has push-pull coil tap System that give unbelievable performance. Grover Tuning which means you have a fantastic system right for those long gigs! I bought a case, leather strap and extra strings for this from Schecter too, My advice is to get the case because you will treasure this once playing it!

punk Rocker 32
    Yeah,its perfect for me too.i just wish if we r gonna pay $1000 for a guitar,i wanna kick @ S $ paintjob
    syn038
    this guitar kicks serious ass...i've had one for about a year and a half...i love it, it plays insane A7X and awesome other stuff (metallica, blink 182, rise against etc) and the clean is also amazing (especially when you pull the coil tap). Diff between both guitars is that the custom has better pickups, its a set neck (not a bolt on), the floyd rose trem is original (not licensed) and the fretboard is rosewood instead of mahogany (i think)
    jermstar44
    there supposed to be all kinds of different colors like one has the rebel flag, like dimebag, one has the german flag, and there's one that only SYN himself has thats white w/ gold stripes (in teh "Afterlife" vid)
    Superguitar
    Man, this guitar sounds and looks great. Synyster is my ultimate inspiration, and this guitar is perfect for me. If I could ever afford it, that is...
    |Heretic|
    punk Rocker 32 wrote: i would seriously buy the custom if it came with the paint job in beast and the harlot vid. ebony finish with RED pimp stripes and Red pickup covers! that would be so cool,im still gonna get one even with the cool paint job or the even cooler one.
    Same, but i wouldn't want the syn or the deathbat on it either. And yeah Synyster has had a load made, but the only one you can buy is his back and whipe pimp stripe. Shame really.
    Shadows_
    its awesome..i got it and it actually does give you the a7x sound you want totally orth the money ( if u can afford 1 )
    Nykee86
    the_bi99man wrote: AbstractDeth7X wrote: I want one soooo bad. I played one in guitar center a while back and I fell in love with it. It makes my hellraiser seem like crap. I don't know about that. I just bought a Hellraiser a few weeks ago and it pretty much destroyed the Syn Custom that was at the shop. And why is everyone talking about the price, it's cheaper than my Hellraiser by about $200 (but my Hellraiser came with a Floyd Rose trem and nutlocks, which, I didn't even realize until shopping around further, apparently aren't standard on a Hellraiser). It probably also helps that I keep my Hellraiser in DGCFAD, so it just sounds like a red-eyed beast from hell, coming to eat your flesh and rape your soul.
    Umm...I have a Hellraiser C-1 FR, which is $850 and the Custom is not cheaper, it's $200 more. However, trying both guitars out, I do think the Hellraiser is much better, looks and sound wise than the Syn Custom. If it didn't have the "SYN" on the fretboard and if they replaced the scorpion head with a hellraiser head, more people would like it. And for those who think Syn NEVER played a Hellraiser C-1 FR, he has. If you want proof, give me your email and I will send you the picture of an old model, and no, it's not that white C-1 FR he uses.
    BaysideDevotion
    Ive seen a lot of things saying this is great for hard rock, heavy metal, etc., but how is it with lighter things to? And what's better about it then the standard? thanks!
    Rockn'rolldad
    I managed to score one of the limited edition white models, it was only 50 bucks more and it's pretty awesome.
    yaaarp
    The guy above is freakin' lucky! I'm not too good with tremolos so how do you tune it to D with out messing with the other strings?
    Enyxiel
    Nice guitar, Very nice guitar. I Would like it, but Can't really get it in the UK. Have to wait anything up to 6 months. Which I'm not too keen about doing. AT ALL =/