Synyster Gates Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom

Purchased from: Sounds Great Music

I mostly play Metallica, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer, Bullet for My Valentine, that kinda stuff, and this guitar is great for all of that! But it's also great if you want a less aggressive tone for Classic Rock. I'm running it through a Marshall AVT50X and a Boss ML-2 pedal. I haven't used it without the pedal but I'm sure it'll sound great with just the built-in distortion on my amp. I get zero humming when I'm not playing, though, when I have it on distortion with the Bridge pickup selected I get some feedback, but I personally love it, may be a drawback for some people though. It has quite high output so luckily my neighbours are awesome people. On clean with the neck pickup it has a nice warm sound, on the Bridge pickup it's a little bit more bright and crispy. Once you pull the tone knob to split the pickups it sounds really really bright. But the distortion is where this guitar shines! It has such an amazing sound, I was blown away by it the moment I started playing. It's very aggressive and sounds kinda dirty actually, which I absolutely love!

Before buying this one I was considering buying the Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6, but something about this guitar made me change my mind. It's some kind of magic I guess. I'm not normally a fan of buying an artists signature series guitar, but this one just called out to me. If this one got stolen heads are gonna roll, it's my baby! I would consider buying a new one, but due to the price it'd be a very difficult decision. The only thing I don't really like is the Floyd Rose, but I also like doing divebombs and other crazy trem stuff so that won't bother me. Setting up after tuning it to Drop C or something will be a bitch though. So other than the Floyd Rose and the lacquer chip it's a perfect guitar! I see no reason not to get it besides the price and the fact that it's a Signature Series guitar.

The guitar will definitely withstand live playing! Everything seems durable and sturdy. I switched out the original strap buttons for Dunlop Straplocks like I always do with a new guitar. I think I could definitely depend on it without backup. But I'll always take another guitar with me because I'm paranoid like that. The finish is great and will last for a lifetime it seems. Also another thing that impressed me was how well it stayed in tune. It has been though warm and cold weather when it got shipped and it was in tune perfectly when I opened the box.

The set up was fantastic! It was perfect for my style the moment it came out of the box. There was only one flaw though, there was a slight lacquer chip on the back side near the input socket. But the store notified me of this and gave me a 50 discount. It's not noticable if you don't know it's there. Other than that the set-up was perfect!

I have the Black w/ Red pinstripes 2010 Limited Edition. It's built in South Korea in 2010. I'll list the features for you guys: Body: Mahogany Neck: Set neck w/ Ultra acces, 3-pc mahogany Scale: 25.5" Finger Board: Ebony Frets: 24X Jumbo Inlays: "SYN" on frets 5, 7 and 9, Deathbat on the 12th. Bindings: Black Tuners: Grover Pickups: Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders (Passive) Electronics: Volume, Tone (Push/Pull for Humbucking and Single Coil), 3-way switch Bridge: Original Floyd Rose Hardware: Black The store sold it for 999 without the case, 1099 with the case. The case came with the keys to lock it. 9/10 because I don't hate nor love the Floyd Rose.

Ltlguitarkid27
    the_bi99man wrote: And holy crap I just looked at the "price paid" line, and now I know why everyone's complaining about the price. Dude, you got screwed. $1,279?! I can go buy the exact same guitar at a local shop in my town called "Grassroots Guitar" for $800 even.
    dude feel lucky ur not in australia then its 2 grand here cus theres only one shop that deals the brand in the whole country and when i mean i store its like the same store all across australia so we get bloody ripped off here
    Jonnybrown3
    Tonyborbony
    Jonnybrown3 wrote: I have a question, if I want the metal tones of an EMG pickup, will the invaders give the same satisfaction as the EMGs? I thought about the Schecter Damien Elite Avenger Floyd Rose, I already have Gibson Les Paul 1960 reissue, but I wanted a trem with EMGs or something that would be equivilant in metal sound, so I need to know if invaders will hold up to the challenge of EMGs.
    I've never played a guitar with EMGs but my friend has an ESP LTD EC-1000 with EMG81 pickups. Personally I like the sound of my Schecter Synyster Custom with Invaders better than his LTD. If you get the chance though, I suggest going to a guitar store where they have a guitar with Invaders or even Black-Outs and try one. Personally I think the Invaders are awesome, though if you want a more heavy sound I suggest looking at a guitar with Seymour Duncan Black-Outs.