Synyster Gates Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom

Purchased from: Craigslist

I bought this as a used 2012 model. It's features are a Mahogany body and neck, Grover tuners, Floyd Rose bridge, passive Seymour Duncan Invader pickups, ebony fret-board, Floyd Rose bridge, coil-tap tone knob, volume knob, 3 way pickup selector switch, neck through construction, 25.5 inch scale length, beautiful white gloss finish with gold pin stripes, Avenger body shape, and jumbo frets. I had bought it with a case, strap locks, and a leather Ernie Ball strap. Nice features, my only real problems were the Invader pickups and weight of the guitar.

The stock Seymour Duncan Invaders were not my cup of tea at all. I thought they sounded muddy. I sometimes play big distorted chords and these pickups simply were not able to let each note ring with definition. Yes they were heavy, but the notes and chords sounded too rounded and weren't clear enough. The cleans were nice though, especially with coil tap option. I later ended up replacing my pickups for a set of DiMazrio Titans and IMMEDIATELY noticed a huge improvement. After I had replaced the pickups AND replaced the stock Floyd Rose block for a fat tungsten block, this guitar became the BEST sounding guitar I've ever played in my life, it still is to this day. So my initial sound rating is 6/10, but it can easily turn into an awesome sounding guitar with a few changes.

At the time I had never played a higher end guitar than this and was blown away. But now that I've tried different guitars I would have liked to see different specs on this guitar. Of course the NEWER models of this guitar have improved, such as a better access to the higher frets and a slightly thinner neck. But this was a 2012 model I believe. Anyways the action was nice, but I definitely could not go as low as I can on my Ibanez Prestige RG652FX of the same price. The finish of this Synyster Custom was stunning, no complaint there, although I do wish the neck had a satin finish as opposed to a gloss one so it would play slightly better.

This 2012 model is MUCH heavier than the new ones, so much so that it makes it a little uncomfortable to play standing up or live. But the hardware was indeed reliable, never had a problem with it. I've never had much luck with Floyd Rose bridges and I did buy this guitar used to I won't complain much about it, but it didn't stay in tune as much as I would have liked. I'll give it the benefit of a doubt and say this is simply because it was bought used. The finish DID have the small problem of turning a bit grey or black because of the material in the hardshell case. The horn as well as the neck and lower side of the body did have this small discoloring. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

I play many genres of music, ranging from jazz, classical, metal, and so on. After I had replaced my pickups this thing was simply a great and versatile sounding guitar. It played well and I didn't have many problems with it other than the bridge going out of tune, but as I stated earlier it might have been because I bought it used. For the price of $650 I honestly can't complain. I enjoyed it while I had it but I must say. I would not recommend buying this guitar new, for the price of $1000. I am personally not a fan of Floyd Rose bridges, it gave me many problems with tuning stability. If you can find it used for about the same price I bought it for, then go for it! But if you want something more comfortable for the same price new, I would definitely recommend buying the guitar I sold this Synyster Custom for an Ibanez Prestige RG652FX. All in all it's a nice guitar, just not worth that $1000 in my honest opinion.