Synyster Gates Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Custom

Purchased from: eBay

The guitar is a White/Gold pinstripe one, made in Korea in 2011.

• Body: Mahogany
  • Neck: Set neck w/ Ultra access, 3-pc mahogany
  • Scale: 25.5"
  • Fingerboard: Ebony
  • Frets: 24, Jumbo
  • Inlays: Custom SYN and Deathbat
  • Tuners: Grover
  • Pickups: Seymour Duncan Custom Invaders
  • Electronics: Volume, Tone (Push-Pull for Humbucking and Single Coil), 3-way switch
  • Bridge: Floyd Rose 1000 (Stays in tune even if you mess around with the whammy bar for days straight)
  • Hardware: Gold
It didn't include any accessories, which is the only reason why I'm giving this a 9 and not a 10.

I'm mainly a metal player, from power and neoclassical to core, but I also enjoy playing some hard rock, jazz, funk, and pop. This guitar does all of those styles pretty damn well but specially Metal. The push pull feature is one of my favourite things about it since it turns it into a really versatile guitar which you can use to play almost any kind of music. I mostly play it through Guitar Rig 5 on my PC, but I have used different amps with it (Behringer GTX30, Marshall MS-2, Marshall MG100FX) and it provides a great sound through all of them. I use a Boss ML-2, a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah and a NuX Pedal Tuner for pedals. You can go from a really dirty and heavy distorted sound to a very bright and rich clean sound. I got pretty much 0 feedback from the pickups or the pickup selector. If you pull the push-pull knob, you can get a really tiny bit of feedback that you don't really notice unless you pay close attention to it.

I bought the guitar from the internet and it came in pretty much perfect shape to my house. Action and pickups were perfect and everything felt nice. It even came perfectly in tune. But I did have some issues with the gold hardware on the pickups fading really fast and the jack output not working properly. So I would probably recommend getting the black/silver pinstripe one since I've seen a couple of white/gold Synyster Customs and the gold plating on the Invaders fades kinda fast. Other than that, I got no issues.

I think this guitar will definitely withstand live playing. The gold hardware doesn't seem that durable, it will probably completely fade within a couple years. The jack output gave me some trouble as well. I can't really speak a lot for the strap buttons since I've switched them for Dunlop Straplocks, but they were solid the few times I used them. I can definitely depend on it and I could use it on a gig without a backup, but I'd rather not, since I'm really paranoid. The finish is flawless so far, looks like it will last.

For the music I play, this guitar is great. I've been playing for around 4 years, I also own an Epiphone G-400 Custom SG, an unbranded classical guitar, and the amps and pedals mentioned before. It it were stolen or lost I would definitely get it again.

PROS
- Great and versatile sound, from heavy and crunchy distortions to full and bright cleans
- Awesome looks
- Comfortable neck, allows easy access to pretty much every fret.
- Great quality Floyd Rose, you could dive bomb your way outta hell with this thing and it would still be in tune

CONS
- Low quality hardware (Jack output, fading gold hardware)

Overall I'm pleased with this guitar and I really recommend it, specially for die-hard A7X fans like me. Even if you're not into A7X, this guitar looks and sounds great and I receive nice comments about how it looks and sounds everywhere I go.