Synyster Gates Special review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Special

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

I'm just running it through a tiny Line 6 Spider IV 15w at the moment (getting a better amp when I have money), it doesn't really do it justice but it still makes a great sound. Like I said, the pickups are great for rock and metal because of the high output. The bridge is great for rhythm because it has loads of low end power but still a bright tone. The neck pickup is perfect for soloing and gives a great, bassy sound for playing clean things. The pickups can be coil tapped which gives a good variety of clean sounds, especially when trying to replicate a Strat type sound. You can play just about anything from classic rock, to the heaviest of metal with this guitar, it's perfect for me.

Overall it's great, it feels amazing to play, it's one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen and it sounds perfect. It would be cool if they offered one with a sustainer pickup, but I could always get one installed if I wanted it that bad. I would definitely recommend it because it plays just as well as a Synyster Custom but it doesn't look like Synyster Gates' signature guitar, so people don't see it and say "Hey, that's Syn's guitar", they say "Hey, YOUR guitar is great". So if you're thinking of getting the custom, I would recommend getting this instead. Even if you're not an Avenged Sevenfold fan, it's still a great guitar.

I haven't had it that long and haven't gigged with it at all, but so far it's showing no signs of wear or anything. I've bashed it on things quite a few times but I can't see any dints anywhere. When I got it the bottom strap button was slightly loose, but I tightened the screw and it's stayed fine ever since.

When I got the guitar it was set up just about perfectly, as I hear most Schecter guitars are. I lowered the action slightly to suit my playing style, and it plays great. The black finish looks great, especially with the black chrome hardware and white binding. The only problem I have is the gloss black makes scratches show up more, so it can only be polished with a very soft cloth, otherwise it gets covered in fine scratches.

This guitar pretty much has the same technical specs as the Synyster Gates Custom, but it looks much nicer in my opinion, I think the gloss black finish, white binding, black chrome hardware and gothic cross inlays look better than the stripes and everything. It has 24 frets on an ebony fretboard, which looks and feels great. The bridge is a floyd rose 1000 series bridge, my friend has an original and it feels just as good as that. The pickups are great, Seymour Duncan Invaders, they are very high output with lots of bass, great for rock and metal. They are hooked up to 1 volume and 1 tone knob with coil tap and a 3 way switch, I would prefer separate knobs for each pickup but it's no big deal. Apart from that it's great, no problems.

rock_guitarhero
    Abacus11
    I'm not a huge Schecter fan (or Avenged Sevenfold fan) but this is a sweet looking guitar. Good review too.
    vayne92
    I bought this guitar 5 or 6 months ago and it's a damn nice guitar and i by no means have complaints. The only down side is that it's a ****ing heavy guitar haha. I love this guitar but if i'm not in the need of a floyd rose or that ear piercing synyster tone i prefer to play my rg.
    hippoismentall
    Sakke
    You're not playing your guitar as your guitar deserves and demands to be played. As you say yourself, not enough justice, but also you can't judge the guitar by some modelling amplifier. Hell, if I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard just cause it sounds good through a Fender Mustang III, might as well try an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through it and try to judge the huge price tag difference. Even if you state that your amplifier is not that great, maybe you should try it through a better amplifier and hear how your guitar really sounds. However, I did not come here to only rant. Congratulations on a new guitar, hope it serves you well in these years to come and hopefully you'll get plenty of money soon to buy a new amplifier that your guitar wants.
    jeleopard
    Frank Jaegr wrote: I'm just running it through a tiny Line 6 Spider IV 15w at the moment >_> // 10 Later guys!
    Yea, this.
    Frank Jaegr
    [i]I'm just running it through a tiny Line 6 Spider IV 15w at the moment /i] >_> [i]// 10/i] Later guys!
    JB95
    rock_guitarhero wrote: Looks good. Have to say, coming from a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan. This version of the Syn Schecter is much nice than the older model. It's less... "LOOK AT ME I'M A SYNYSTER CUSTOM"
    Haha, so true! "syn" and A7X's skull bat was all over the guitar, and it was indeed a bit overkill.
    chaoticfables
    sewoo55 wrote: That plain finish is much better than the striped one
    DreamTheaterFan wrote: I wish I could trade my current Synyster Custom for one of these, MUCH nicer I think.
    Sums up my thoughts on this guitar nicely.
    Most_Triumphant
    hippoismentall wrote: Like the guitar but not a fan of A7x. The white one should have had the white invaders with black screws and black pickup covers in my opinion :o)}
    I'm with you on both points.
    mobius87
    I bought one of these when they first came out, and it's still my go to guitar for recording and playing shows.
    tybacca60
    Completely agreeI am my own guitaist,why would i want someones name all over my guitar????I woudnt mind buying this.
    Miyagi84
    Sick looking guitar, but as always the theme of the reviews on this site are with the guitar reviewer having a shitty Line 6 Spider combo amp... thats not the way to accurately hear how the guitar is going to sound. Get a real amp and run the guitar through that and then review the guitar, until then this review has zero credibility. Speaking of my own credibility A7X is lame.
    Axl_Styx1
    Bit harsh there mate haha. He's commented more on the feel of the guitar and the looks than the sound, however,he said even through a line 6 he says it sounds good. Great review, can't want to get this guitar (In white) for my 18th this December.