Synyster Gates Special review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Special

Purchased from: Zzounds

I play whatever I feel like. Not a pro by any means, more of a song writing hobbyist. I play through a DigiTech RP70 and a Marshall MG10. Maybe not the best, but its enough for my semi truck. The guitar sounds great to me. I previously played a Chinese knock off strat, in comparison the tone is amazing. It really seems to Shine in pop/punk fusion. The tone knob has a decent effect. The pick ups are very sensitive. Really lets me take full advantage of my effects such as phasers, envelopes, and so on. Really haven't found a use for coil tap yet.

When choosing this guitar I had a few requirements. An unconventional shape. This suites me well. Not too radical. An arch top, set neck. A real Floyd, and some neat inlays. Go ahead and look, in the $800 range... I'll wait here. Seriously though, its feature packed for its price. Yeah I could have gotten a LP or something, even maybe an esp, for the price they don't compare. If it was stolen, I'd turn into Liam Neeson I will find you and I will kill you. I'd say my favorite feature is the neck. I'd been playing for a few years and hit kinda dead zone in my ability. This neck suites my hand well and has allowed to to pick up some new sounds.

This is where it really shines. I Drive truck over the road. I haven't got a case yet. So for 10 hours a day, its bouncing around in my bunk. Stop for the night, still in tune, still tight. I'm very impressed in this area. Between the brake checking, pot holes, temperature changes and constant vibration it is put to the test. And it passes with an A+. No dings or chips. The paint scratches easily. But hey its gonna get a worn look anyways. To me its important to hold tune and hardware to stay tight, it does so with perfection. I can play for hours, slammin the Floyd, bending strings, toss it in the back bounce down the road and its still ready to go.

The action was perfect, for me. No buzz and easy to fret. The gloss black scratches super easy so be careful. It came tuned, ready to play. The only flaw I could find was a tiny indent in one of the inlays. You really need a magnifying glass to see it. All of the nuts, bolts and such where secure and still are. Everything is well done shiny and tight. I would say I got what I expected from an $850 guitar, no set up needed, just put a strap on, plug it in and crank it to 11. The neck is smooth and fast, the frets filed and smooth.

First off, Zzounds has been good to deal with so far on there pay as you play. Onto the guitar now. Its an Avenger style body. If your unfamiliar its like a melted strat. It has a mahogany body, three piece mahogany set neck, ebony fretboard, and "devil horns" three on a side headstock. It has a Floyd Rose and comes with allen wrenches and springs for adjustments. It has two Seymour Duncan Invader humbuckers. There is a 3 way toggle switch for pick up selection, 1 volume knob and 1 tone/coil tap knob. I believe it is only available in gloss black with white bindings.

KingMerls
    hopefully after christmass i can scrape together £500-£700 for this beast.
    kingking22
    Very nice looking guitar. I always thought they should remove the stripes because the body shape and headstock looked good.
    Templar980
    I like this Syn signature way more then his others. The other guitars are made to be SYN's guitar, not mine. This one on the other hand is one that I can make my own.
    jaybrink10101
    I am a A7X fan, but that said, Syn's tone has always been just a little too muddy for me...which doesn't seem to have afflicted Zacky. I blame the Invaders...