Synyster Gates Standard review by Schecter

Schecter: Synyster Gates Standard

Price paid: € 749

Purchased from: Retailer

My style is mostly heavy metal (and occasionally death-metal), it fits that style nicely. I use the guitar with a Bugera V55 tube amp at home and with a big 100w Line 6 tube amp when I'm playing with my band. The pickups are a bit low on treble, though a little preamp booster pedal fixes that quite nicely. The most amazing part though, is its clean sound. When you switch to single-coil it provides a better acoustic sound than my Ovation Elite semi-acoustic guitar. The only downpart is that the volumepot is a bit noisy when you turn it back a bit. I will replace it with a different pot later, it will be an easy fix.

I own quite a lot of high-quality guitars, though this one is absolutely better than the rest. I picked this one over the Custom because of the bolt-in neck. As proven in research labs, a guitar with a bolt-in neck will have better sustain than a guitar with a set-in neck. Also, the HB108 humbuckers on this guitar have a bit more sound in the low/mids than the invaders have, the output is slightly lower as well which is a huge plus to me. If this guitar ever gets stolen I would even sell my customshop Gibson Les Paul if needed to buy another one.

This guitar will absolutely withstand many gigs. Everything on this guitar seems like it will last for decades. Not bringing a backup guitar is a huge mistake, no matter how well a guitar is made. Still, the only worries I'd have are breaking strings. A special note on the neck, the bolt-in neck does not move AT ALL. It is a perfect fit. I honestly do not understand why they put a bolt-in neck on the standard and a set-in neck on the custom. In fact, it should be the other way around! It's a lot harder to properly make a guitar with a bolt-in neck. Also, the sustain is slightly better with a bolt-in neck.

The action was nice and low, just the way I like it. I normally devote a lot of time to adjust the pickups of my new guitars, this is the first guitar where I didn't feel like changing a thing! The floyd rose was properly setup, though I changed the strings right away. I also added the extra spring that came with the guitar because I don't like it when other strings go out of tune when you start bending. There was a tiny dent near the nut, other than that the guitar was flawless. The overall impression on the finish was even better than what you can expect from customshop Gibsons.

Made in South Korea, the guitar has 24 jumbo frets, which make playing extremely easy. It's a solid mahogany guitar, it's quite heavy, though when compared to my Les Paul it's as light as a feather. The Seymour Duncan humbuckers are great! You get an active feel from passive elements! It features a push-pull coil-splitting tone knob. Also, the Floyd Rose locking system prevents the guitar from going out of tune, ever. You can literally pick up the guitar by the strings, move your arm up and down like a flapping duck and it still stays in tune!

MarkoakaNiggaK
    Blargaha
    MarkoakaNiggaK wrote: Don't buy signature guitars. Usually overpriced and poor quality. I didn't try this one tho so i can't say anything about it being bad or good.
    So, you are judging this guitar on it being a signature, but you have not played it?
    Minivirus2
    Joostp wrote: nopoleon779467 wrote: would you recomend me get this or the synyster custom??I like the duncan sh-8 invaders in the custom,but other than that not a huge difference. Get the standard, the bolt-on neck beats the set-in neck from the custom. Also, if you like a bit more of a dynamic sound you should be happy enough about the pickups on the standard.
    Dude, not to be hatin' or anything, but you gave the guy a recommendation 6 years after the fact. I think he's made his decision by now
    dj1991
    moose1512 wrote: BaysideDevotion wrote: Ive seen a lot of things saying this is great for hard rock, heavy metal, etc., but how is it with lighter things to? Synyster's tone comes from a distorted scooped blues, seeing as he came from a blues background its expected, in regards to the guitar drop the overdrive and distort and theres some pretty nice bluesy clean tones hiding beneath. Played the custom model though, not sure about the standard.
    Funny, cause he's always said in interviews that he is a trained jazz player. His father is also a jazz player. And all his solos are influenced by jazz techniques. Not knocking the point of your post, I love the cleans this guitar can achieve, I'm just nitpicking facts.
    Fear The Abyss
    I have the Schecter Synyster Custom and a Shecter C-1 Hellraiser FR. The Hellraiser kicks the living shit out of the Syn. Go for a different guitar. The Hellrasier models are much better.
    NachoAkd79
    hey, i have a custom chinese flying v guitar with a neck invader and a shit bridge pickup. so, i want to buy a pick up but i havent got money so i can only buy something like the hb 108/ detonator, is it good? what the difference with the invader??
    jetwash69
    I've only seen that with Dean sigs. One type in particular. This one is actually pretty good. And every Fender sig I've seen has been good, too; especially the MIMs--they've rivalled MIAs in quality. So WTFO?