Tempest Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Tempest Custom

Purchased from: Mansons Electric Guitars

I play anything from pop punk, to metal, and most things inbetween and although I've not had this thing long (only a few hours! ) it seems to keep up well with what I do to it. I play through a Marshall TSL60 and 4X12 so I can make my sounds pretty diverse from the amp and the guitar just makes the sounds so much better, with the coil tap you can get the really thin bright sound of a Stratocaster and without the coil tap you get the really warm les paul tone but without all the extra low end resonense. The way I see it (correct me if I'm wrong) but I own a Strat and a les paul and have tracked them both in a recording situation and this guitar feels like a mix of the 2 but with the capabilities of both and even more. This guitar is very diverse and with the gain right up you can get the shread metal sounds that some people like every now and again ( I know I do! ) I'll give it a 9 for the duncan design pickups just lacking that little bit extra the most full on Seymour Duncan pickups have, might switch them out but happy with them at the moment.

In my opinion, Schecter are a very underated company because the market is capitalised by companies such as Gibson, Fender and so on. I've only been playing guitar for coming up 5 years in april and take note that I'm only 17 but I've played a lot of guitars over the years, and this one is one of the best guitars I've played, except for a 69' (I think! ) les paul and a couple of telecasters from the 80's, I've had a few impulse buys I've later regretted and I don't think I'll regret this guitar anytime soon because of the bargain price and the quality that this company produce. If it were stolen I would want another one but I'd have to pay a lot more than I did for it. The only thing I wish this guitar had was my name stamped on it and my signature mods (which I don't think I'll be doing because this guitar is to good for me to get dirty with a screwdriver and some spray paint!)

Haven't used this Live yet but gave it a full on beating when I got it home and it seems to last very well so far, I'm not too heavy handed on stage, unlike the other guitar player in my band (Who is also my brother! ) but I give the guitar enough of a beating so I think it will be just fine. I probably could gig this guitar without a backup but would never go to a gig without one, covers all of my bases incase anything can (and probably) will go wrong! I.e breaking 2 strings on a guitar simultaniously, then switching to my old backup (a tricked out Gould eagle les paul style guitar) and somehow managing to wiggle loose the wires on the selector Switch and breaking a wireless within the span of a 45 minute set, so I like to be very overprepared! The finish is bound to last because these kind of finishes do, I've seen 20 year old fenders that are worn like no bodys buiseness but I've seen 20 year old les pauls that have only worn slightly, so I believe this guitars finish will last 20 years, hopefully more!

This guitar was set up at the guitar shop and they set the action perfectly so I don't know what the factory set up was like but I have a friend that owns a Schecter C1 and his was from the factory and the setup was beautiful, fret action was perfect, almost no buzz but the thing is that both he and I play in half step tuning (E flat and so on) so when I drop tuned it to flat I had a little bit of buzz which is partly to do with the gauge of the strings and partly because it was set up for Standard tuning so I wont penalise them on that because it still ahs very little buzz and great action. Because mine was second hand it had a few little nicks and dents here, nothing blatantly visable, you had to look real close to find some kind of flaw on it. With the tuners, I find that with all the guitars I've had/played that had grover tuners on them that the tuning key where you manually adjust it is always too loose so my guitars were slipping out of tune slighty and often, but that can be fixed by just tightening the screw on top and no problems, bend and thrash all you want, this guitar will not go out of tune with these solid tuners.

Based on my limited understanding of serial codes I think this is an 05' model, Seethru Black cherry, crafted in south korea, 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, thin neck profile, not sure what it's made out of! I just play the thing, 2x duncan design pickups, 2 independant volume dials and a push pull coil split tone dial, tunomatic bridge, grover tuners. Came with free gig bag, so I'm happy!

zachwitty
    guitar is great amazing sound great pickups i have this one and a gibson les paul plays as nice if not better no fret buzzing even in drop d holds up very well from air planes to car rides from florida to main and back cant go wrong had this guitar for a year now no problems at all u can bend the hell out of the strings stays in tune fine great guitar i love it
    themelodicdeathshow
    I bought this guitar before i bought the devil custom for $50 bucks more, to sum it up the tempest custom is horrible its scary the crap guitars that are out there, try it before you buy it! ALSO THE DEVIL CUSTOM ROCKS FUCK YA
    Fear3001
    broski13 wrote: I have a puestion this guitar or a fender telecaster deluxe
    Id say this m8 because with the 3 way toggle switch and coil taps it has an enormous tonal range
    WhiteTempest
    slipknot.. no clue where you get the from cause i tried both and to tell you the truth i rather the tempest.. the devil is way to f"$%ing body heavy... and they usually come with emgs which is what makes the guitar more expensive
    tommyschecter
    i have played the custom but i own the tempest classic. now that is an awsome guitar. i have the faded cherry sunburst, its sooo sexxy and sounds as good as any lp i have played imo! i tried to post a review on it but the site wont let it through for some reason. but the classic is the way to go!!
    drewsteier
    the model out now is the same as the Jerry Horton signature it just doesn't have his name on it. Same pickups same bridge same body ect and the three tone sunburst is what he uses in the Hollywood ***** video if you watch closely
    Jed121
    Bloody brilliant guitar, covers jazz, blues, rock, metal.. actually you can play any genre with this guitar and it'll sound awesome! If you see one, get one. Put some Seymour Duncans in this and it gives a Gibbo LP a run for it's money!
    ztikmaen
    This or the Blackjack Tempest? I dont want to swap out the pickups. Also is the neck on this guitar sticky at all? By the way I currently have an Ibanez RG370DX to replace. Hopefully with this. So would it be wise to replace it with this or the blackjack? (I'm not into metal. More classic rock)