Tempest Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Tempest Custom

Purchased from: Best Buy

I play from punk to metal, classic rock to ska. I run it through a Carvin MTS 3200 and a B-52 4x12 cab (I know, its not that great of a cab but its all right haha. I also run it through a Crate GX-130CH. No effects, just straight. The Duncan Designed 'buckers are actually pretty good. The neck pick up is the only one that could sound a bit better, but its still all right (bit too bassy but eh). I can go from a fierce thrash metal tone to a warm jazzy sound with the coil tap feature. Good guitar for heavier music stuff.

In conclusion, this guitar is great. It shows its true colors on heavier stuff. The coil tap is a stand out feature. It compares well with others in its price range, if not better. It was "used" even though it was in really, really good condition. You get a lot of bang for your buck. I'd be pissed as hell if it was stolen. I had and Epiphone G-400 before this. That one was stolen! So this was its replacement, and a pretty big step up. I have grown attached to it because it was my first big purchase, 2 or so years ago. There are better guitars, obviously, but this is one solid guitar. I shall give it a good solid 7.5 rating!

I play in a punk/hardcore punk band and I have gigged a lot with this. It has survived nasty hits, beer spills, drops, hard and light picking, dust filled backyards, and even vomit (long story short, some drunk chick barfed on it a little). Very durable, believe me. A strap button had fallen off but it was an easy fix. The finish has come off a little because of those nasty hits. Good thing its in the back. I baby this thing a lot. I haved gigged with no back up whatsoever for a good 2 years or so(I know, I know! I'm supposed to have a back up!). This thing has survived it and it still sounds like it just came out of the factory. Very dependable guitar.

Set-up was bad. A lot of fret buzz. I fixed it as best I could and managed to lessen the buzz, but still got it set-up. Finish was in great condition. It only had a few scratches. After a few weeks, the pick up selecter would give out and cut off the sound at random times. Turned out it was just dirty. I cleaned it and it was good as new.

This was made in Korea and set-up in the US. Has 22 frets. Inlays are abolone and mother-of-pearl on the 12th fret, or the other way around, I forget haha. It has a mahogany body and neck, rosewood fret bored, and cream binding. Its a super Strat shape, sorta haha. It has a TonePros bridge, 2 passive Duncan Design humbuckers, a push-pull coil tap, and a 3-way switch. Very versatile. It also has gold hardware. No accessories included. Oh and it has Grover Tuners. They can take a good amount of abuse till it gets outta tune!

rallygsc
    I have both the standard and the custom, the main differences between the two is the pickups and the woods used, the custom uses an ebony fretboard, while the standard uses a rosewood fretboard, the flame maple top option is available on both versions, but it seems more color options are available on the custom on limited edition versions, the custom uses genuine seymour duncan pickups, the standard uses the designed by duncan stuff, the custom has locking tuning keys and a tone pros bridge, my standard doesn't have either of those options, but I heard the newere versions do, they feel the same, but the custom is a lot better due to the cosmetics and the pickups.