Tempest Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Tempest Custom

Purchased from: Dave's Guitar Shop Wisconsin

How does it suit your music style?, well I am into classic rock and hard rock, the guitar has the classic woods used and the pickups have the tone. What amps and effects are you using it with?, Marshall DSL 401 made in England, effects wise, an original clyde mccoy wah, dallas arbiter fuzz face, and a few other Vintage pedals. Is it noisy? On what settings? Rich/Full sound? Bright sound? Well sound wise it's nice in humbucker mode, warm and full, sort of like a Les Paul, now it has coil tapping for both humbuckers, but sadly Schecter decided to use only one pot to tap both pickups, so you are limited in some ways, I plan on fixing this soon. It's not noisy, but then again I didn't have the amp cranked up the whole time, but it seems well grounded and quiet. What kind of sounds can the guitar make? How much variety? in humbucker mode, I can get some good classic sounds, Clapton in Cream, Zeppelin, Joe Walsh, in single coil mode, it's not bad, to twangy in some aspects like a telecaster, the tonal variety is nice, but Schecter should have put two volumes and two tone controls on the guitar for more versatility, or they should have had two push pull pots instead of one, this way each pickup could be coil tapped individually, easy fix if you know how to wire guitars.

What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Well I am into classic rock and hard rock, this guitar in some ways is a Les Paul Copy due to the pickup set up and the woods used, yeah it's a good match. How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? Been playing off and on for over 20 years, I own a couple of Gibson Les Pauls, a Fender Strat, a Fender Telecaster, and 2 other Schecter tempests. Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? No, Schecter is one of the better imports out there, quality is always on of their priorities. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Well at the price I got this one, I don't think I can get another one in the same condition for this price, I would like another one as a replacement, or a Gibson Les Paul. What do you love about it? Well this one I love the price, it was a steal, so no complaints. What do you hate? I do not like the large studs on the bridge, it makes it look cheap, I do not like the strap buttons, at $699 new in most cases it should have strap locks, and I do not like the electronics, should have two push pull pots, this way each pickup could be tapped individually. What is your favorite feature? The pickups, the woods, the overall quality. Did you compare it to other products? Yes I compared Epiphones in the price range, and only the Japanese ones can compare quality wise or the Korean ones, but all of the new ones are made in China, so it's either this or sell some organs to get a Gibson. Which ones? Epiphone Les Pauls, ESP Japan Edwards Les Pauls, and a few others. Why did you choose this one? The price, I was looking for something to add to the arsenal and at this price, well why not. Anything you wish it had? Strap locks and better pots, working on those items next for it.

YouTube preview picture

Will this guitar withstand live playing? Well I can say after owning some Korean made guitars and Schecters, well it will hold up better than that made in China junk. Does the hardware seem like it will last? As with any guitar, good parts do make a difference, I think the electronics might be an issue, in a lot of cases import guitars use cheap pots and switches, so only time will tell. Are the strap buttons solid? I never trust the factory strap buttons unless they are straplocks, personal preference. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup?, overall I think the guitar can handle it, my only concern would be the push pull pot, it feels cheap, I would replace it prior to gig use. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Well it's a polyurethane finish, it will last if you take care of it, of course if you abuse it the finish won't last.

How well was the guitar set-up at the factory? (How was the action?) Well judging on the condition of the guitar, the original strings were one it and it wasn't messed with, it was a decent setup, I would say medium action. How well were the pickups adjusted? They were ok. Properly bookmatched top? As good as any overpriced Gibson, sorry I love Les Pauls, but they are going for way too much anymore. Did the guitar contain any flaws? None that I can see.

2011 Model, Made in Korea - Construction: Set Neck with Ultra Access - Body: Mahogany - Top: Flame Maple - Neck: 3-Piece Mahogany - Scale: 24.75 inch - Fingerboard: Ebony - Frets: 22 Medium - Inlays: Mother of Pearl Split Crown - Binding: Multi-ply Crme - Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan Custom Custom SH11 Humbucker - Electronics: -- Volume (per pickup) -- Tone (tap) -- 3-way switch - Bridge: TonePros System - Tuners: Schecter Locking with Pearl Buttons - Hardware: Chrome The body is done similar to a Les Paul crossed with a Strat, mahogany with a flamed mapple top, solid woods, mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard with a flamed maple cap on the headstock. Finish: gloss Transparent black limited edition color for 2010 and 2011. Locking tuning keys, similar to Schallers. Standard tune o matic bridge and tail piece made by tone pros. I rated this area as an 8, the guitar is nice, but the large studs on the Bridge makes it look cheap, and the speed knobs are cheesey, they have a rubber grommet around the top to help grip them, I guess, they should have used bell knobs.

notryt
    The Tempest Custom came in so many variations between 2008-Present that buying one used, you should ask a lot of questions if the answers aren't there already. I am a lefty and have bought 3 of them (customs)no color options for the left handed model .. all three with different setups, from tuners to bridges to pickups.. Finally found one with the seymour dumcans and the locking tuners. I see the newer models went back to the duncan designed pups. but the price remained the same