Tempest Extreme review by Schecter

Schecter: Tempest Extreme

This guitar suits my (predominately) metal style very well, with the size and girth of the body providing lots of sustain. I not only play metal, but also some classic rock, blues and classical. The pickups handle these styles fairly well (although they are lacking a little in the trouser department, hence the Switch to actives). I am using the guitar with a Crate GT15 (which is awful but what does 60 get you in the guitar world) into a Krank Distortus Maximus (a ballsy kick ass pedal) into a Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell. This setup does provide me with some of the tone I want but I feel an amp upgrade coming up.

I have previously mentioned my playing style and (with the pickup change) I hope the guitar will only improve. I have been playing for over 2 years now and feel this guitar has helped me with my playing more than say, an Ibanez, since my fingers have had to work harder due to a relativey high action. I regret nothing about my purchase and hope it lasts long enough to provide an heirloom. If it were stolen I would hunt the bastard to the ends of the Earth (stealing someone's first guitar is just wrong). I compared it to an Epiphone Les Paul but preferred the Schecter due to it's higher versatility, workmanship and individuality. The only thing I wish this guitar came with as Standard is a ballsier set of pickups, an improved jack socket and straplocks. Other than this, I love it.

As far as I can tell this guitar will take some punishment. The headstock has done more damage to my bedroom cabinets than vice versa. The hardware seems built to last (aside from the previously mentioned jack socket) and I would willingly gig with this guitar. I am as of yet unsure as to whether I would gig without a backup. The finish has so far shown no blemishes which I am most happy about as I wear belts a lot. The lacquer of the finish seems thick without stifling the woods or the tone. The strap buttons are solid but are rather small so I would consider fitting straplocks before gigging.

The guitar was set up exceedingly well from the factory (not particularly surprising given the American set ups). The pickups were adjusted well and are just the right height from the strings. The top and the bridge I have had no problems with (aside from an early stringing style change to that of Slash and Jimmy Page) although the action was set rather high (I have recently remedied this however). The only problem I have with this guitar is the fact that the jack socket continually works it's way loose from the body (which I hope to have corrrected at the next set up). Other than the jack socket, I have had no problems.

My guitar was made in 2006 I believe and was probably made in Korea before being set up in the USA. It has 22 Jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck is a fairly Standard Maple bolt on. It has a solid figured maple top on a basswood body. The body is finished in a flamed maple style. The body is not dissimilar to a Les Paul in both size and overall chunkiness. The neck is palm filling and butter smooth. It comes equipped with the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge and a stop tail. It comes Standard with passive electronics made by Schecter (High Output Alnicos) which I plan on replacing with a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts. The controls are again Les Paul-alike with a 3 way pickup selector and Vol/Vol/Tone knobs. The tuners are again own brand built by Schecter but are still very effective with little tuning slippage.

Andy Jarvis
    Yeah I love mine too, same model and bought at about the same time as you. I don't play Metal I would say the heaviest I get would be Zep. however mine sounds great clean. Yeah I have the same problem with the jack socket.
    Dopey_Trout
    ^Definitely worth getting but get it set up in the store for the jack socket and action, and depending on your style a pickup change might not go amiss
    Carr2120
    i love mine an dim glad i got it good for metal and classic rock i have the same problem with the jack socket aswell all i did was but lock tight on it an dits there till u take it off i think u need some type of stuff for that tho