Tempest Extreme review by Schecter

Schecter: Tempest Extreme

Purchased from: Greenlane MusicWorks

I play mostly alternative rock, with heavy grunge and shoegaze influences. Therefore, I'm not in love with the fatter tone of the buckers as I prefer a sharper tone, but it plays so well I can Live with it. I use it with my Ibanez 10W starter pack amp (soon to be upgraded), Boss PW-10 V-Wah (which is total shite) and DigiTech Grunge distortion pedal, which is great for the money. Since I'm an original artist, I try to find my own tone rather than trying to get a particular sound although on the Heavy and Smooth setting of my pedal with every knob turned to 10, I can get a surprisingly good Bush-type sound. Because of the limitations of my amp I can't get too much out of it, but I will say that this baby can actually wring a half decent tone out of it so it must be good.

As I mentioned before I play alternative rock with a lot of grunge and shoegaze styles. The Tempest Extreme is only a pickup change away (I'm planning to put in Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster pickups or similar) from being perfect for my style of playing. I still wish I had asked about the coil taps, but what can I do about it huh. If it were stolen, I'd be really pissed because I'm broke and it's my only decent guitar, but if my parents or the insurance paid me out I'd probably get an Omen Extreme if only for the coil taps. As it stands, though, it's all mine and I love it. And once I change the pickups, I'm gonna love it even more.

It feels rock solid to me; I'm completely confident it will last live gigs. I don't gig yet but plan to in the future, but I can be a bit rough with my stuff (I.e. bang it occasionally, and I can never be arsed putting it back in the case) and so far it's survived everything I've thrown at it. Everyone seems to have problems with the input jack, but so far I haven't (crosses fingers). Since my other guitar is an Ibanez GAX that I tried to modify and failed, this is my only working axe. I would still be comfortable gigging without a backup.

I have no complaints at all about the set-up, everything worked great the moment I took it out of the case and plugged it in. My only minor complaint is that the stock strings aren't great for my solo style, but a simple string change can fix that. No other issues at all.

I'm not sure when or where my model was made, but I'm assuming it's recent as I bought it new. It has a basswood body with a bolt on maple neck, three knobs and Standard Schecter pickups which may be good for some, but not so much for me. I bought (or asked the parents to get me as my birthday present) this model thinking it had coil taps, which it doesn't so I was quite disappointed but the Standard humbuckers would be quite good if you're into metal. Otherwise, no complaints; it's a good, solid guitar that feels and plays a bit like a Gibson Les Paul, for more than half the price.

PsychoSocial146
    That's the guitar I'm trying to convince my mom to buy me and it's the last one at Guitar Center! lol =]
    revengedspite
    I love this guitar although I do plan to change the pickups to dimazio Deactivators and I and to pull do a fair bit of work to fix the jack socket...I'm guessing its just the guitar
    Dopey_Trout
    worth every penny ^ I've never tried D-Activators but I've never been disappointed with DiMarzios
    ShadesOfNight
    i used to own a Tempest. cant remember the specific model, but it wasnt a massively expensive one. that was back when i knew **** all about guitars/amps etc. and ended up selling it coz i blamed the guitar for the rubbish tone, not the shitty little amp i was using
    Clutch32192
    Looks awesome, I got a schecter omen 6, pretty awesome but i would like a better guitar, was thinking about the synaster gates custom
    Huffman
    if u can afford the synester custom ... get it is rocks!! i have a damien 6 but if i were to buy again in the same raing i would get a hellraisor.. i love the shape... but if u have $$ and arent looking 4 a metal guitar... PT Fastback... so sick
    Huffman
    oh i meant avenger not hellraiser... or jsut get teh hellraiser avenger
    KnIvEs00
    The hellraiser is definetly one of my favorite schecters. I own a c1 plus and a damien. But i was at guitar center and saw the new schecter devil custom. Most amazing thing EVER!! The tempest is nice, but god nothing beats the hellraiser...except the devil custom.
    Carr2120
    i have this guitar and its plays like a dream. i love this guitar, i would recommend this guitar to everyone!