V-1 Hellraiser review by Schecter

Schecter: V-1 Hellraiser

Price paid: £ 99.9

Purchased from: Ebay

My styles vary from blues to jazz to funk to classical, but my heart lies in Classic Rock and Heavy Metal. This guitar simply was purpose built for these styles. With No extra effects added apart from a slight amount of compression, I put this through my Bogner Alchemist stack not to long ago and the quality and thickness of the sound it produced was phenomenal. It can easily suite other styles by fiddling with the controls but take it from me it's when the gain is cranked up high that this guitar really shines.

Well, I used to have a Zakk Wylde signature Les Paul with active pickups of the same make fitted. That was about as good a metal guitar as I could possible imagine.....until I played this. I would truly recommend this guitar to any professional metal or rock style player, and I think that if it were lost I would have to get the same guitar again to get it's tone, which would take me a while but it would be worth it. My favorite and least favorite features would both have to be the pickups. They are simply brilliant, but I personally prefer passive pickups, as they don't run out of power during a gig; not that these will if properly maintained and the battery is constantly replaced. It's as simple and sharp as a butchers knife to me, and I truly believe that even at it's full 1000+ price tag it's worth more than that. A steve vai signature I played once was far wimpier than this, and that was 2 grand!

I have played this live at two gigs so far at high volumes with the gain cranked up and it's held it's ground like a spartan soldier. The hardware seems like it will last as long as the dead sea scrolls and the strap buttons are about as solidly laid as the rivets in tank armor. I know this because i've put a strap on it and played it vigorously live and I didn't feel like it was about to fall off, and it didn't fall off even without strap-locks. Live playing is very manageable with this guitar. The only drawback would be the limited battery life of the active pickups, but that's a consequence of the pickups used, and not a flaw of the guitar itself.

The guitar feels very well set up to me. I'm used to slightly narrower necks but it's by no means impossible to play. The pickups feel pretty well set up. It's fully bookmarked and has all the proper routed settings that it should do. The only flaw with this guitar's setup other than the body style is the active pickups. They produce a fantastically thick and sharp sound that most passive pickups can't even graze, but the battery life is limited, which means that unless the battery is changed frequently, it is possible for a mid-song cut-out to occur. That's common to all active pickups though, so once again it's down to personal preference.

Right then. This guitar was a blind luck buy as my Dad saw that the guy selling it had got the decimal place in the wrong point and had to honor the price he'd submitted, but don't worry because ebay compensated him. It is a 24-fret guitar with a jet black finish and laminated top I think. Tuners are not locked down by a tremolo but are some of the smoothest I've used, hand on heart. It is a Flying V style body with a string thru body style bridge. The pickups are both battery powered EMG active pickups with both having a volume control dial but sharing a tone dial. This is a hands down perfect guitar for metal styles of music but I've also found to my surprise that by using the rhythm pickup it's also quite willing to Switch to blues and jazz, which is the last thing I expected from a flying V. The one thing I will say is that all Flying V style guitars are almost impossible to play while sitting down, but that's not a flaw of this guitar specifically, as flying V's have been that way since the 50s.

LeoKisomma
    Reviewer - can you comment on whether this thing nose-dives? Vs are notorious for it...
    No, it doesn't nose dive. In this guitar the body isn't a perfectly symmetrical V shape; the lower part of the body when you've strapped it around your neck is actually slightly bigger so that it pulls the weight of the guitar towards your fretting hand more than other flying V's. Doesn't seem to nose dive to me.
    M3AK
    Slovak_Ghost wrote: The 81 is great for rhthym playing and the 89 sounds excellent for the leads. I think you got that backwards, being that the 81 is in the bridge and the 89tw is in the neck.
    I always play rhythm on the bridge pick up and leads on the neck. This is metal dude, that shits standard,dunno what ****ed up planet your on.