V-1 Hellraiser FR review by Schecter

Schecter: V-1 Hellraiser FR

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

I running this through a Vypyr 30, and have Elixir Nanowebs 10-46 on it. Metal review: The guitar sounds great for metal. The 81TW in dual coil mode has a chunky sound great for tones like master of puppets, but it doesnt't sound quite as good as the original EMG 81, and has some annoying feedback. In single coil mode, this pickup is terrible with high gain. The feedback is ridiculous. The neck pickup (89) in dual coil mode is good for soloing, has very little to no feedback, but isnt very good for high gain rythm (gets really muddy). The 89 in single coil mode is where the guitar shines. This makes the 89 my favorite pickup ever, it can do anything. Its great for rythm when you want a tone with a bit more chunk and less treble than the 81, and for soloing this pickup is beautiful, and has no feedback noise. Both pickups aren't very sensitive, good thing. Clean review: The 81 in dual coil mode sounds clear and bright. In single coil mode it has a tinier sound, noticably weaker and quieter and doesnt't sound very good. The 89 in dual coil mode is the best for chords, it has a very bassy sound and every note is heard. In single coil mode is almost identical with a bit less bass, and sounds just as good. The floyd is useful(sometimes) and never goes out of tune. Sustain sucks bad(ex. Pluck the 14th fret B string, the note ring 2.5 seconds and fades).

This guitar is extremely versatile, and has great sound. My favorite part about it is the EMG 89. Looks bada-s. If it were lost or stolen I'd most likely get another guitar, and put in the same pickups, this guitar isnt comfortable at all. But at $500, I can't really complain. The songs I mainly used to review this guitar: "Orion" (Metallica), "Tornado Of Souls" (Megadeth), "Tears Of An Angel" (Marty Friedman), and "Mama Said" (Metallica).

I've knocked this on a few walls more than a few times, and it barely has a scratch on the tips, the finish is great. Electronic-wise, I fear the 81TW will die soon. The saddles on the Floyd Rose rust faster than the rest. But the rest looks very durable. No need for strap locks, I play with a satriani nylon strap, and its never fallen off. I'll never gig with this thing without a backup.

When I got the guitar, it was ready to play, low action and no fret buzz, but it did have 1 major flaw. Still don't know exactly what the problem is, but the Bridge pickup dies for a few seconds randomly when switching between pickups. It sucks when it happens. I bought it used almost new condition with apparently no flaws (thank you Musiciansfriend). No picture does this guitar justice, it looks badass(mines white). Its well painted, the abalony binding is well done, and it has chrome parts. The parts do rust easily. The feel of this guitar is terrible. When you play it standing, it lean to the front left, and the neck is terribly heavy. The neck is fat(it can get used to), and the neck joint is so fat its really hard to reach the higher frets fast.

This guitar has top quality sound and terrible feel. It was made in South Korea, and according to the sticker on the electronics plate, it was setup in the USA. Features: - mahogany body, set fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, abalony goth cross inlays - 24 jumbo frets - 3x3 grover tuners - frt floyd rose(the chrome one) - Active coil tappable EMG81TW/89, 3 way selector (V/V/T) - round pointed v shape with abalony binding - a 1/4 cable that doesnt't fit the guitar

les-paul-dude
    don't think so!! The 81TW is exactly the same pickup as the 81, but with a singlecoil in its case. NO SPLITTING!! 2 Pickups in ONE
    new world udder
    I dont like Schecter necks and the fact he says he cant reach the upper frets cleanly like old school V's seals the deal, try a C1 style,still the necks too fat. Try a Jackson RR24 or a Custom 24 wide thin carve instead.
    pantallica87
    BTW, there should be no neck joint on this guitar as the reviewer stated his guitar has. It should have a 3 piece neck thru body. If your neck is bolted on, its not a hellraiser. The guy above me already figured this out.
    pantallica87
    This guitar is top heavy and uncomfortable at first. Its EASILY fixed by moving the strap button by the cable input, from being above the input to below the input. Simple fix and you wont have to hold it up anymore. It will sit at a perfect angle, like its supossed too. Concerning the FAT neck, it felt wierd to me at first also, but play it for 2 weeks and you wont even notice it anymore.
    foochcky
    Part of the problem is that you didn't get a Hellraiser V-1 FR. Not for $500. They are $899. And I don't think the V-1 FR's come with chrome bridges. Could be wrong about that. I've played the Black Cherry one, and the last word I'd use to describe the neck is "fat". I really think you either have a lower V model or were given one by mistake.
    6StringBlazer
    Ah man its a shame, Schecter guitars are damn good but I can believe that the neck is heavy and fat. I have a Jackson Kelly and a Schecter and the action is sooooo much better and more comfortable than the Schecter.
    kirkshred
    Schecter guitars are one of the best for metal music so it probably holds up pretty good.
    TheBlackening91
    Necrotise wrote: I wouldnt say what you described on Action, Fit and Finish really warrants a 6 tbh
    This, if I felt like that about a guitar I'd give it a 3 or 4 for that section
    Neverhead666
    I've had my C-1 Hellraiser for years and play the hell out of it, I've never had any problems with it.
    jesslindy
    My pickup selector on my damien or omen doesn't do that. I hope it doesnt start!!
    Metal_Master_0
    I think it's a schecter thing with the pickup selector. It happens with my c-1 standard, which was also brand new. I haven't fixed it yet, but I imagine a solder could fix it.
    Jugulator_cro
    that tends to happen on my Damien too
    Necrotise
    notryt
    I own a Gary Holt V-1 and its great EXCEPT the pickups are way too bright... I have found he best way to deal with emg actives is to turn down the volume and trim the tone to dial it in.. however there is no tone pot on it. It took me a while to figure something out and I came up with turning the volume pot way down and cutting the treble on the amp almost to zero... I am going to add a separate eq peddle just for this guitar.