Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special Review

manufacturer: Silvertone date: 06/20/2006 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Silvertone: Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special
This Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse solid body features A 24 3/4" scale neck with rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets, dual high output humbucking pickups, and a sculpted bolt-on maple neck.
 7.2
 7.3
 1,835
review (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special Reviewed by: meta1militia, on june 20, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Goodys

Features: The features are pretty good for the price. - 22 XJ fretboard - Laminated top - 2 passive humbuckers - 1 tone and 1 volume - Bolt-on neck - Grover Tuners. // 7

Sound: The sound is very good for the price. Really quiet in the background. The pickups aren't so good for thrash and nu-metal, or country for that matter. But the over all sound is good. I'm running it through 2 Boss pedals and a wah pedal, along with Fender amps. The sound is very bright, but not enough crunch for me. The variety of sounds is basically around 3 different main sounds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty poorly when I got it. The action was very high, so I had to lower it. I also had to lower the bridge pickup and raise the neck pickup. The volume control came loose after a year of having it too, but easily fixed. Everything else was fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this guitar at a live show at all. The neck is so heavy as soon as you let go of it, the guitar neck plunges straight to the ground. The hardware would last a long time, but the guitar is just simply too neck heavy to be played while standing up. I would only use this as a back up guitar, or at home practice guitar. Also, sitting and playing with this guitar is a nightmare because of the shape. It hurts your legs and if you stand it's bulky too. // 5

Overall Impression: I play mostly melodic death metal and this guitar really doesn't cut it for me. For the price, its pretty good. Other than that, I really couldn't use it for much else. I've been playing for 3 and a half years now and I have 2 other guitars about the same quality as this one, but I don't have the money for a really nice one. I would not buy this guitar again if it was stolen, I'd just simply buy a new one. I love the way it looks, and sounds, but it's just not quality. I'd probably go with a Jackson or ESP over this. I also wish it had another volume or tone knob or something. Simply not enough things are worth it unless you just want to play this guitar at home. // 7

More Silvertone reviews rating category latest review
+ 1484 Twin Twelve 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 04/18/2014