Rockit 21 review by Silvertone

Silvertone: Rockit 21

Purchased from: ZZounds

I played acoustic guitar as a kid (~30 years ago) so I'm a beginner with an internediate attitude! I got this mainly to learn electric blues and old rock tunes. Out of the box, after the initial thrill wore off (~5 minutes), I noticed that the axe had a highly annoying buzz. I buzzed "off amp" and worse when I plugged in. After talking to a few players and doing some research, it was suggested to raise the action a bit and put a heavier gauge of strings on it. I did just that and the buzz stopped! The overall sound, now, is pretty nice. Of course, I'm not running through a Marshall stack but it's clear when I want clear and can crack pretty loud in rhythm mode (front pickup). Overall, great for the price.

Again, I'll be playing mostly blues and rock. It's a good match for a rythm player and for $200 - it's a steal! If it were lost or stolen, I would definetly buy this model again.

After almost a month, it's hard to say how it will stand the test of time but here are some observations: the body is solid and feels great; the hardware seems to be of reasonable quality (knobs stay on, etc); the gig bag is paper thin. Buy yourself another or better, a case; the strap is also cheap but not uncomfortable. Probably because the aze is so light. A better strap is definetly in order; all of the machinery seems very solid, no loose screws or broken parts. I'm expecting me to outgrow this guitar before it gives out on me. It'll make an awesome hand-me-down for my kids.

The factory setup could have been a lot better. Fortunately, I was able to get it fixed in a fairly easy manner. As a beginner, I can't tell you much about the quality of the pickups or much about the bridge but the action out of the box was very low. That probably caused some of the buzzing. This axe is also very light, which I like (my friend's Strat feels like twice the weight). The finish was great, shiny beautiful black. The pickguard, truss rod cover and a couple of other parts were protected with plastic covering. I'm really pleased with it, now that I've adjusted it a bit.

Silvertone Rockit 21 electric guitar package includes: Silvertone guitar: - 22 frets (24-3/4" scale) - Solid top - Mahogany neck w/rosewood fretboard - Bolt-on neck - Ebony or wine red finish - SG style body (deep double cutaway) - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Passive electronics - 3-way control; two volume, two tones - Two humbucking pickups - Chrome Die-Cast tuners Smart III guitar amp: - 10W RMS - 6" speaker - Switchable overdrive - 2-band EQ - Tape/CD input - Headphone output - Digital tuner - Gig bag - Strap - Cable - 5 picks - An instructional DVD - Extra set of strings (10 gauge).