SIK1 review by Silvertone

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Silvertone: SIK1

Purchased from: American Musical

This guitar is good for basics. Beyond that, it is almost useless. The pickups do not actually "pick up" much of the sound. The amp included (Smart III) doesn't dish out enough power and clarity for any soft playing. The amp comes with an overdrive button which is okay considering the price of the setup. On the clean setting and with the front pickup settings, you can get a pretty nice sound out of it though.

I have been playing for a few years (3) and I can honestly say that this guitar has taken me a long way even considering it's flaws. I play a large variety of music, mostly my own style of rock/industrial. I love the fact that it says exactly what it is; a practice setup. There is no mention of this guitar ever being used on any stage, nor should it be. Compared to many other guitars I have played, the price gap is comparable, but this is a pretty good deal. If it were stolen or lost, I would not buy this same model again, I would move onto something better, but I wont forget that this guitar got me through a few years of hard playing.

This is a great guitar for the first few weeks of playing, until your skill goes beyond the capabilities of the guitar. Any advanced techniques aren't able to be picked up on the guitar. This guitar package couldn't be used in a gig without it being in your living room entertaining your immediate family.

The action was extremely high, the pickups were located well enough (though the knobs which control the tone are completely useless because they don't do anything). Everything other than that, the guitar was very nice looking. No flaws in the finish, no rust, everything was great to begin with. To the untrained musician, this guitar was perfect.

Keep in mind, this is a Starter Kit, so my ratings are being truly generous. Classic "S" type body with a chrome tremolo, a 25-1/2 in. scale maple neck with a 24 fret rosewood fretboard, a humbucker pickup in the bridge position, two single-coil pickups, a 5-way selector Switch, and one volume/two tone controls (The tone knobs don't do a bloody thing). Comes with: Smart IIIS (10 watts, actually) 20 watt peak performance amplifier, Silvertone electronic tuner (useless, doesn't work), Silvertone gig bag (sketchy at best), Silvertone strings (these have never broken on me though), guitar picks (pretty average), Silvertone guitar strap (once again, average), guitar to amp connection cable (and guess on this one, average), Silvertone instructional DVD (this was also useless).

howarddavidp
    I have 2 of these now, the original got a tremolo upgrade to a TremKing, and I have Seymour Duncan Lil59 and Duckbucker coming. I will replace one of the tone pots with a push-pull to tap the coils. I recently replaced the neck, just to try out something different. After trying out an Ibby RG370 neck, I went BACK to the Silvertone neck (Ibby was all maple, which made it too bright). I can say the high point of this guitar is the neck. The truss rod is FULLY adjustable, so if you fret the 1st and 24th fret, and adjust the truss so that a business card fits in the middle, the actions is AMAZING. Since I have 2 of these, and a relative and friend each bought one on my advice, I can say the initial setup varies, and I can see how some have got a bad setup, which only needs to be adjusted. My dilemma: I bought an EVH Custom Shop 78 to put in it, but the stock bucker at the bridge does everything I want, and is not muddy, so I am conflicted about replacing it. I might put the 78 in my Prestige, still deciding. So, while the body IS plywood, I can say the neck and the humbucker are the strongest points of this guitar. Plywood bodies are not the worst; it makes a nice deep tone, not bright which I like. My tone knobs work fine, as does the import style 5 way switch. I replaced the volume pot with an EVH low friction. The 1st tone uses a .022uf cap, and 2nd tone does not have a cap, so I am not sure if that is good or bad (I usually only need 1 tone cap). I would have not bought a 2nd if it sucked, and my friends all seem to gravitate to this guitar, the pickup is excellent for harmonics, and I play a lot of early EVH stuff, so you know what that music asks of a pickup. Keep rocking on Silvertone! I might even get a 3rd in the silver color, I scored both of my for less than $100 online, without the combo, just the guitar.
    howarddavidp
    I love mine, had it for over 5 years. The action is fully adjustable, you just need to set it up and it will rock. This model is a almost exact copy of the Ibanez Prestige series, but without the $600 price tag. My bridge humbucker works great, I don't know why people would think otherwise? I run it with my EVH 5150 tube amp and I can tell you any early Van Halen song I play sounds great coming out of this thing, and I have posted Youtube videos featuring this SK-1 model to prove it. The quality is great, sound is awesome, action is amazing once you adjust it, the only thing it is missing is a tremolo. You can add a Floyd Rose for about $100 at my local GC, which will be my next step with this wonderful guitar that has lasted and served me will for over a 1/2 decade. Rock-on Silvertone!!!
    mattchappell4
    this was also my first guitar, and i still have it, its not all that bad considering the price, i paid around 80. last year i got in a crazy mood and slammed it as hard as i could about 3 times on pavement, and it still worked, and the necks still straight, i was suprised
    aduff0015
    I shred on thus guitar... Someone just gave it to me for a drum lesson...I'm using a Marshall 10 CD and it wails...tone knobs work fine and the action is fantastic...is I've been aging for over a decade... I like thus guitar...