SS11 Revolver review by Silvertone

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Silvertone: SS11 Revolver

Purchased from: Wally World (Wal-Mart)

I play a lot of different genres: metal, grunge, blues, etc. The amp that came with it had an overdrive effect which is okay. BUT the pickup quality is GARBAGE! It picks up everything but what I'm playing! I even bought a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal to maybe try to cover that terrible quality up.....it didn't work. Also, you cannot hear the high e string for anything and the low E isn't very clear either. Never heard of a 4-string guitar. To be honest, the only kind of music you can play on this guitar and not look like a douchebag stereotype or sound terrible is blues (Stevie Ray and the like). Its gotten to the point where I can't plug it up anymore. It has become an acoustic. Sad, I know. The first song I learned to play was One by Metallica so I know its not me. It won't sound clear for something pretty nor will it get crunch for some All That Remains.

Like I've said, I play mostly metal, grunge, and blues and blues it the only thing you'll get out of it. The sound quality is terrible, unclear, and you'll never use it outside of home. If you're a beginning guitarist, great! But as you progress and get better, you're gonna need something to keep up with your style and skill, and this ain't gonna cut it. This was my first guitar and after about a year of playing it, I need something else, something that can play MUSE and Lamb of God in the flip of a Switch (or effect, whatever). Being my first guitar I had to name it; her name is Sylvia; she has a Russian accent and enjoys it when I tickle her bridge...lol sorry. If someone stole this guitar I'd lose sentimental value. That's it. Its got a nice easy sit-down-and-play access and body, but other than that, I'm not recommending this to anyone except beginners, if that. I've played guitars ranging from a Flying-V to an Explorer to a B.C. Rich Warlock (which is the only other guitar I own) and they all sounded good with my amp and other equipment. I've been playing for about a year and am ready to hand this guitar down to my sister who will never plug it up. So in conclusion, buy this guitar if you're planning on playing for a week and never getting any better. Not recommended for serious guitarists because you'll wind up wasting your money and having to upgrade several times. But, it got me started!

DON'T PLAY IN FRONT OF FRIENDS! WILL DESTROY CONFIDENCE! Haha, naw but they will be there to support you...Blue Harvest reference...anyone?... Anyway, the body neck and head are all very durable. The pretty black finish is pretty much there for all eternity. The pickups and electronic work won't stand up to anything...NOT UNLESS THEY'VE BEEN TOUCHED BY MEGAN FOX! Haha, naw but it does sound really terrible.

The neck design is nice and simple with easy access to the higher frets. However, I am constantly having to fix my bridge because it keeps popping out of place. Replacing strings is pretty simple. I don't know why it comes with a pickup selector because theres only one selection that doesn't constantly ckkckjckcchsshksschkhschscskhksh! at you. The headstock is great and prob the best part of this guitar. And the nice black finish is just too good-looking to do anything else.

This Guitar came with one cable, a strap, cable, a couple of crap picks, a crappy carrying case, and an amp. Its all decent stuff until you use it. Its a pretty lil guitar, gloss black with a white pick guard. It has 2 tone knobs, but apparently don't work on anything because they all sound pretty crappy. But, I don't care how exicted you are to play smoke on the water for your first time ever, the first thing to do is change out all the strings that it comes with.

Shelldigger
    I have been playing over 30 years, and have 2 sons who are both taking up the habit. My youngest son just traded some stuff he had lying around for one of these Silvertone Strats. It just so happens that I had a borrowed Squier strat when the Silvertone showed up. Bear in mind I play through a Mesa Boogie tube amp, but the Silvertone blows away the Squier. Which in turn blew me away. I am so impressed with this el cheapo guitar. The Squier has a much cleaner output, by that I mean at the same exact amp setting it sounded very clean and needed to have the amp gain raised up to match the output of the Silvertone. The Silvertone sounds so stratty to my ears, I just love playing it. My first guitar was a Fender Mustang and while I have always wanted a strat, I went in another direction, I have 2 Ibanez RG's one a basswood/floyd rose the other a mahogany body hard tail. The Wizard necks are a great fit for me, anyway... If you are a metal head and don't care for the sound of this guitar, it is because single coil pups aren't exactly the kind of voice you need for that style. If you like classic rock stuff, or countryish twang, this guitar fits the bill nicely. The neck on this guitar needed some tweaking, I had to make a washer for the truss rod, to get a little more adjustment out of it, other than that no real issues. May upgrade the nut but it sounds pretty good as is. The trem is blocked on this one, and I don't mind. No tuning issues at all. I have been toying with the idea of taking the block out, but am in no hurry especially with the tuning stability it has now. I would recommend this guitar based on its sound alone. It sounds like a strat should. Yes it is a budget guitar, yes you may need to tweak it a little, yes your friends might look at you funny when you show up with it, but once it's plugged in I don't think you can get a better strat sound for another 3-400$ over the cost of a new Silvertone.
    davidschneider
    How can anyone take these reviews seriously? Most of them are from beginners who have no experience and don't know what they're doing. Please list your experience first so we know whose reviews to skip! I found them worthless.
    elliottsdad
    Just built a partscaster out of the body of this guitar: swapped for a MIM Fender neck, upgraded to Schaller tuners, and dropped a seymour duncan prewired pickguard into the body. It set up easily, and required very little modification on my end. With all that being said, the body itself is cheap plywood. It has two six inch long vertical holes (under the pickguard) that lead back to the trem cavity, which I believe gives the body a subtle "chambered" sound (though I'm sure this was not intentional). However, the plywood's tone isn't "choked" or "dead" as one would believe. The exterior finish, however, is actually spectacular. And it's light! As previous reviewers have said, it's el cheapo. It obviously doesn't sound as good as my G&L ASAT Special. But for the price I don't see a problem for a beginner.
    COUNTRYGIRL35
    I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR 4-5 YEARS KNOW AND MY THIS WAS MY VERY FIRST GUITAR.THIS IS A GREAT FIRST GUITAR FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESNT KNOW WHAT THERE DOING.IF SOMEONE STOLE THIS GUITAR I'D BE KINDOV MAD BUT ONLY BECAUSE MY GRANDMA BOUGHT IT FOR ME.THIS GUITAR HAS SO MANY BAD QUALITIES AND ONLY ONE GOOD ONE.THE BAD NES ARE THE PICKUPS SUCK!!IT WONT STAY IN TUNE WITH THE WHAMMY BAR,IF YOU BUY THE PACKAGE AFTER A WEEK THE STRAP WILL BREAK,THE CORD THAT COMES WITH IS IS BAD AND THE AMP SUCKS!AND THE ONLY GOO QUALITY IS ITS A GUITAR.DONT BUY THIS GUITAR!!!!! AND NEVER BUY ANTHING MADE IN KOREA. BYE